cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone found buyers or ebay users to have no manners in this generations of today??

A number of years ago ( 1998 ) , i attended a stamp and coin auction in Australia and bid for a huge lot of banknotes. I was very successful and managed to get them for just under $1 each.... Many times i have sold at what they cost me and sometimes i made a profit but in reality i bought them to give out as free gifts to customers. When i had a store / shop, i would give out one to every child customer as a good gesture and the child thanked me very much. You never know it may have started them on world banknotes and if it didn't, then i had really only lost the equivalent to a can of soda and look where the soda ends up when one is finished with it. In the last 6 years or so, i decided to add a banknote with every winning bidder that won an item from my stuff in ebay. The generation of today really needs to be taught some manners as not one time did i receive a message for the free gift. I am going to continue adding free items to my packages until i run out ( as i bought thousands of banknotes from a dealer at a coin show ) and then never ever do this type of thing again...I can see it is never appreciated and this is how the younger generation of the 1980's to present has been brought up. Isnt it amazing that one tries to give away something in ebay and the appreciation is not there... As you can see , i have left out the usernames of certain buyers as that is stated above...However if they read this, they will know who they are.... I am adding pictures ( both back and front )  of one of the notes i had given away recently in addition to the bidders winning item. UNBELIEVABLE AY?? - NOT A THANK YOU OR ANY SIGN OF APPRECIATION FOR A FREE GIFT ADDED WITH THE GOODNESS OF MY HEART...After all, how much does a small message cost to send?? I am so glad i was not brought up in todays generations ( 1980's to now ) ...Have a nice day

10000 Note F.jpg10000 Rev.jpg

Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Anyone found buyers or ebay users to have no manners in this generations of today??

For those who are glad not to have the struggles of today's generation, they should be happy they were brought up in the times they were. Blindness to the changes is no excuse and of course lets not forget who raised those future generations! Brought up in the 60's & 70's and know that it is I that failed in giving today's generation the life we all had!

Message 2 of 60
latest reply

I agree wholeheartedly.  Manners seem to be a thing of the past and it is very sad.  Good karma will come your way for your kindness.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 60
latest reply

If offering a freebie in a customer's order and not receiving a "thank you message" bothers you this much maybe you shouldn't. The customer is not required to message and thank you for something they did not ask for. Sure it would be nice, but you should not expect it. 

Message 4 of 60
latest reply

These days I am just happy when I actually receive feedback from a buyer. That too seems to be a thing that has gone by the wayside with buyers. I get maybe 30% of the buyers leaving feedback. 

Message 5 of 60
latest reply

Curious as to how it is enclosed with their order?

We received a free item recently and almost threw it out - didn't know to look for it and with it loose in the packing, it was almost discarded.

We too are just grateful if we receive feedback.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 6 of 60
latest reply

I do agree with you that common courtesy and manners seem to be a thing of the past.  I was brought up in the 60's-70's and was taught to always give a "please and thank you" and to treat people with respect whether they they reciprocate it or not.  I was also taught to ALWAYS hold a door open for someone coming up behind you and I do that out of pure habit.  Probably half the time I get a thank you, and the other half I don't get even a smile or look in my direction.  Oh well, that's their problem not mine.

I will say, if you are sending these out with the ultimate goal of getting a thank you for doing this out of "the goodness of your heart",  you might want to look at your own motives.  Know in your own mind that you did something nice for someone else and let that be enough.  It would be nice if everyone would send a thank you message, I know I would but heck it is hard enough to even get feedback on an order.  A thank you note is going to be even harder to get! 

You are doing a good thing.  Don't let how others respond (or not) take away from the fact that you did a nice thing.

Message 7 of 60
latest reply

maybe I just dont get it.............you are enclosing a pice of worthelss paper as a joke gift and expect a special thanks .

maybe the recipient did not know what to do with said gift and thought why are sellers sending me worthless stuff.

I cant read Chinese but maybe the buyer thought you were making fun of asians

what I am getting from your post is tanatmount to asking for feedback

keep on tryin

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 8 of 60
latest reply

I understand what you are saying about 'today's generation' but there is always something said of all generations.

As far as gifting, not everyone wants one. I received an additional item in my package recently as a 'gift'.  I did thank the seller, but I did not disclose that I threw it out.

I do not like things added to my purchase. I don't like that I am being put in a position to have to thank someone for something I did not want in the 1st place.

I have actually gotten notes from my buyers to please do not 'add' any gifts, promotion info, etc into their package.

If something is given as a gift, there should be no expectation of a thank you since that expectation dilutes the true meaning of 'gift' IMHO

The gifter sometimes does so for their own reward, not for the reward of the giftee.

Message 9 of 60
latest reply

These days I am Happy if I wake up and not receive a return notice from someone who did not read the listing

Message 10 of 60
latest reply

@oz_in_ohio   Occasionally I add some Bonus stuff in packages if they are related items that I do not plan to sell.  However, I do not give to get anything back, like praise, thank yous, etc.  I give to give but often Buyers will either message me in eBay messaging or comment on the extras in their Feedback ... but again, I have no expectations on their reaction or replies and I understand everyone is different in that regard.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 11 of 60
latest reply

How do you know what generation your buyers are from?  Maybe some of them are as old as you are, or older.

Anyhow, I don't find a lack of thank-you for an unsolicited token gift with a purchase a surprise.  It's a business transaction, not a personal one.  I often get free gifts and samples with orders from retailers, and it never occurs to me to send a thank-you message for them. 

As for the manners of the young, perhaps it depends upon the part of the country you live in.  I live in a small town of about 6500 people in a rather rural area.  Nearly all the young people I come in contact with in public -- at the grocery store or shops, in restaurants or on the street -- are well-mannered, friendly, and helpful.  The last several years of my working life were at a university and I found the young people there -- including my young colleagues, some about a third my age -- were polite, productive, and easy to work with.

=

Message 12 of 60
latest reply

very well said..........thats exactly how I feel about it

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 13 of 60
latest reply

I'm afraid that since the end of WWII, those who have taught, and those who have been taught that the most important thing in this world (or any other) is 'The Value of "ME"', has grown exponentially with every new generation.  And, it seems that the only time that people ever work together anymore is when that quality of privilege is very seriously threatened.

Oh well, I suppose it is all in the name of progress and development (new and improved?).

(personal opinion - your mileage may vary)

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 14 of 60
latest reply

In a different, but similar situation, I have found over the last 20 years, or so, that people don't send thank you notes for anything.  I was born in 1945, you figure it out, and for years everyone mailed thank you notes for gifts, on special occasions.  For about the last generation it seems no one sends thank you notes for wedding gifts, graduation gifts, etc.

My wife and I never even expect to receive a thank you note any more.  It seems like etiquette is a thing of the past.  Call me a grouchy old man, but give me the good old days.

Message 15 of 60
latest reply