cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else seeing the banner "Attract buyers with Ebay's discounted shipping." Seriously?! +

Dear eBay, what are YOU doing to attract more buyers to eBay? How about you go into your profits and offer a coupon for buyers every once in a while. Or incentives to sellers. Of course, there are sellers who do offer buyers discounted shipping or free shipping. However, for me I just try to price my item where I am making modest profits and sometimes barely breaking even and the shipping discount is the only real perk I feel I have going for me. Make me feel super annoyed seeing this banner and apparently I can't get rid of it! 

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Anyone else seeing the banner "Attract buyers with Ebay's discounted shipping." Seriou

Click on the little x in the upper right corner of the blue box. It may come back, but you can remove it.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Re: Anyone else seeing the banner "Attract buyers with Ebay's discounted shipping." Seriou

thanks, but it has come back for me

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Yup, charge the buyer less for shipping to attract the buyer to your item, and then eat the fvf charged on shipping 😂

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

I've been seeing that, many of my listings (not on this ID, can't do that with .99 cent start auctions) are free shipping so that isn't really a thing. Meh.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

I wish they'd have ads on TV to try to get the youngsters to eBay.  I think some could be lured away from the other platforms if they'd just try. The late teens and early twenties kids up to 30 is who they should advertise to. All I've ever seen is eBay auto ads. eBay sellers have one hell of a selection of diverse items but they just don't aim for that. eBay has been known as an old folks or middle age platform especially over the last few years.  I've had tons of sales on other platforms to the younger generation but on eBay it's kinda a set age group.  I had a buyer a while back whose 14 year old son was obsessed with European history and cartography and I thought that was awesome. His father told me they usually only purchased from Amazon and abe not knowing that eBay had those types of things.  The kids father purchased about 30 maps from me, I even sent him a list of other sellers on ebay to check out that had great historical Eu maps. 

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Free Shipping is not free.

The buyer pays for the 'free' shipping, because the seller has included all the shipping costs, postage, packaging, perhaps third party insurance, in the asking price.

The seller never pays for shipping.

Sellers will offer discounted shipping when they can combine purchases in one package for less than shipping each item separately. Most then pass the saving on to the customer.

Sellers using 'free' shipping can only pass their discount on combined shipping on to the buyer manually. There is no way that I know of to do this automatically, since eBay does not know how much the seller is including for shipping.

EBay offers discounts on some shipping services and the seller has the option to pass this on to the buyer. This is an option.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@selsa84 wrote:

I wish they'd have ads on TV to try to get the youngsters to eBay.  I think some could be lured away from the other platforms if they'd just try. The late teens and early twenties kids up to 30 is who they should advertise to. All I've ever seen is eBay auto ads. eBay sellers have one hell of a selection of diverse items but they just don't aim for that. eBay has been known as an old folks or middle age platform especially over the last few years.  I've had tons of sales on other platforms to the younger generation but on eBay it's kinda a set age group.  I had a buyer a while back whose 14 year old son was obsessed with European history and cartography and I thought that was awesome. His father told me they usually only purchased from Amazon and abe not knowing that eBay had those types of things.  The kids father purchased about 30 maps from me, I even sent him a list of other sellers on ebay to check out that had great historical Eu maps. 

I've recently seen ad's via Roku and Game Apps where eBay is advertising.  In respect to Amazon it's Apples and Oranges, eBay isn't a "Mega company" like Amazon or Walmart for example.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

No use to advertise on tv to attract kids/GenZ/young millennials, we don’t watch it.

It’s all about streaming.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

eBay isn't a "Mega company" like Amazon or Walmart for example.

Your right. Not anymore as Ebay got old and lived off their name for many years. Those awesome days are gone but i feel Ebay will always have some type of pulse 🤔

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

As a Gen Xer I'm outta touch since I don't have kids. My Tv viewing consists of boxing, skate competitions and ye ole "law and order" but I do love a good war documentary though. 

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

If ebay seriously wanted to increase sales, a reduction in fvf 's would also help, buyers look at total cost.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

If ebay seriously wanted to increase sales, a reduction in fvf 's would also help, buyers look at total cost.

No it won't IMHO, sellers here are accustomed to setting their own price and lower FVF's most will just construe as more in their pockets to offset rising cost of living and find something else at eBay to umm, yeah, "Bark" about.

IMHO what's occurring is multi-faceted impacting places and especially third party marketplaces.  There's literally too many issues to list from broad competition for "The Dollar" with big online retail vying for so manys limited funds to literal fear placed in consumers by the political parties attacking one another and HEAPS of issues between like College loans and prices of cars, homes, rental, not to mention the skyrocketing prices of auto repair, carpentry, plumbers and more due to lack of workers in the trades.

Then there is the mobile dilemma where 90%+ of folks now shop on phones and very limited real-estate on them yet millions of sellers with hordes product that's hard to see.  eBay has its App which helps but people have to download it and THATS a problem versus sites that are mobile ready detecting device abilities versus an app.  Even at that, limited real-estate in compare to say Amazon which is one listing, multiple offers and a race to the bottom in pricing using re-price software that costs money too.  Atop that, there's trust and whilst money back guarantee is in place its not like Amazon... If a person orders from a third party at Amazon more often than not its a, "I ordered from Amazon" aka: Not some third party.

All sorts of challenges exist and surmounting them is a formidable task.  That said, eBay has face handfuls atop handfuls of formidable issues over the last twenty years and has albeit taking time met all of them and succeeded.  I trust they will continue to do that.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I haven’t seen the shipping banner, but I do have this one…. IMG_0917.jpeg

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

oh another winning strategy!

Message 15 of 19
latest reply