cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Feel Up To Tackling Ad Rate % With A Simple and Concise Explanation?

What is a good, cost effective rule to use when setting the percentage? If i drop the percentage down, how much does it effect the promotion. Finally, and Bottom line… “Is The Juice Worth The Squeeze, so to speak?” We have never really promoted that much, but for the first time in 4 or 5 years our sales are down. We have more in our store now, than ever, but since October sales have been very slow. Wondering, and considering, if “promoted listings” might be smart move for our store.

Thanks in advance to anyone that tackles this post, and all who join in the conversation. Have a great weekend everyone!

Sincerely,
@bickler33

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I only promote my expensive items...15-20%....that's not a lot of items promoted.

Promoting cheapie items is not worth it.

I mean, expensive items usually don't sell that quickly...so the promoted items will show up as promoted items on other seller's pages...plus it might be the 2 last items promoted on each page maybe on the first page on the listed items of everyone.

I was surprised last month....a lot of my expensive items promoted sold...so strange...and I was in the negative off and on every other day. LOL. Promoted fees are taken out of "available funds" immediately before you receive the funds of the sales...which is why I was in the negative of "available funds" so much. It was almost eBay was pushing my promoted items to sell so they make that 15-20% fee...didn't bother me...don't want to be a hoarder of stamps since I don't collect them. LOL

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Hi, I promote all of my items 2% it is the lowest and I have to say that for me works just fine and it does help out. My sales were down as well awhile back and that is why I started doing. It pays out in a long run. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

You don't have to promote everything (your frisbees probably don't need it) but I would try promoting the clothing - you have a lot of brands and styles that are super-saturated on this site - more than can be realistically searched without very tight searches. You can try minimal promotion percentage and see how it goes.

I'm a very small clothing seller and have been forced to promote my more common brands. 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

My choice is to stick with the minimum 2% and to only expect to get more Views when that is used.

I actually sell fewer PL items than non-PL.

But since the introduction of PL, my overall Views and overall sales have increased.

I think what is happening is that PL encourages browsers, but the browsers once in my Store find other stuff to buy.

My PLs on  listings are usually dropped after a month or two. I use Notes on Active Listings to note when PL was added , and dropped.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I change my promotion numbers nearly every day but generally I leave it at 9%

You can change the number whenever you want - I can definitely see a drop in activity if I only promote at 2%, or 5% or even just 7%.  I have alright results at 9% and can maintain this level, but this isn't even the suggested percentage for me - that would be 12%.

If I were you I would try 2% for a week - and then try different numbers for a week until you get a better feel on how different percentages impact your sales.  I really look at it like a finders fee in a way - you are paying eBay to try harder to sell your product, so if you give a good enough margin they will try harder.  More chance of sale

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@retrogames10000 wrote:

I change my promotion numbers nearly every day but generally I leave it at 9%

You can change the number whenever you want - I can definitely see a drop in activity if I only promote at 2%, or 5% or even just 7%.  I have alright results at 9% and can maintain this level, but this isn't even the suggested percentage for me - that would be 12%.

If I were you I would try 2% for a week - and then try different numbers for a week until you get a better feel on how different percentages impact your sales.  I really look at it like a finders fee in a way - you are paying eBay to try harder to sell your product, so if you give a good enough margin they will try harder.  More chance of sale

Define "activity" please.  Are you talking about actual sales or are you talking about views, or something else?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Well, clearly impressions and views go up with more promotion %.

Sales is harder to think about, since it's hard to say which sales I would have made without promoting.

All I know for sure is that if I don't promote, I can go a whole day without a sale, and that would never happen when I use promoted listings.  I definitely have more people contacting me and asking questions etc when I raise the percentage.

anecdotally, with no evidence - I seem to have more problematic seeming buyers and low offers when I promote at 5% or less

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I can only speak for us, but promotions have mostly seemed like an on/off switch. Problem with making a "rule" is it's not a static measurement.

We had only done the minimum for awhile, which was 1% at the time. For us, about a year before they officially raised it to 2%, 1% did nothing and we had to go 2% to get the same results. In one of my threads about this at the time eBay said it was a "test", so it seems the 2% thing was a test and we were unlucky enough that it occurred on our store or category.

But then 2% wasn't enough. The switch turned "off" and we lost like ~80 of our traffic. At which point we had to spread out anywhere from 2-4% or 2-6%.

Sales just got worse and worse, though, and it seemed as time went on, the "switch" to turn traffic on kept becoming higher and higher. 

Our testing within the last year proves it's still a "switch". With our sales so poor, we've been at record highs for our investment, and it literally did not budge our traffic or sales one bit. 

Here's the problem, though: Lowering it is RISKY. Because I've shared screenshots in our earlier posts, if we lowered our investment and the switch "turned off", then just a few days later put our promotion campaigns to how they were when they started, the promoted traffic *and organic traffic* does NOT return to the level it was at before.

So long story short, even risking lowering investment might backfire and permanently lose traffic.

This last year has been strange, though. The site is riddled with errors and glitches that were never fixed. Most alarming of them being that the traffic and ad pages do NOT add up properly, and defy their definitions of clicks/views/etc. The traffic numbers they give are literally impossible. I was in communication with eBay community managers/leadership/other employees, and while they seemed to genuinely want to help, the tech team gave bogus explanations that could be debunked, every single one of them ended up ghosting... So that tells me either the problem can't be fixed, or they can't confirm them in writing due to internal policies.

So I'm not even sure the ad rates are working as intended. Sometimes it seems as if investing more HURTS the traffic more than helps. We also are in constant communication with the other top sellers of their categories, and it just seems odd when the sellers we KNOW are both receiving the best prices in the country AND investing the most in ads, are no longer on the top of search results, same as we are.

With that said, sadly ad rate has to be tested in your category to see what investment % you have to do to "turn that switch on" - which will be VERY visible on your traffic pages (as I said, it's substantial, like an 80% increase in traffic). Once it's on, don't invest any more, because it's no use, and with the current glitches, may hurt your store. And be very careful, try not to fiddle with your rates too often, or you might end up permanently losing traffic/SEO you built over time.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Thank you for the joining in on this conversation, your testimony, and the great advice @12345jamesstamps ! 😎👊 On a side note, we may be contacting you very soon with a few questions pertaining to stamps. We have a 3 or 4 binder sets of very old (we think) stamps en route to us now, but we have no experience in this field. Thanks again for your helpful contribution and have a great rest of your weekend! 🙂

Sincerely,

Benjamin 

Sincerely,

@bickler33

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Thank you for the joining this conversation, and that excellent testimony  @openbowarehous_0 ! 😎👊

Sincerely,

@bickler33 

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Thank you for sharing that advice and your testimony  @chapeau-noir  ! 😎👊 Very Helpful… 😃 Have a great rest of your weekend! 🙂

Sincerely,

@bickler33 

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Thank you for the joining this conversation @reallynicestamps . That’s an interesting perspective, and a smart practice on notes you have there. Much appreciated. 😎👊 On a side not, as we explained to  @12345jamesstamps  in his helpful reply to us, we may have to reach out for some of your expertise soon as we have a 3-4 binder set of very old (we think) stamps headed our way. Thanks again and have a great rest of your weekend! 

Sincerely,

@bickler33 

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@openbowarehous_0 wrote:

Hi, I promote all of my items 2% it is the lowest and I have to say that for me works just fine and it does help out. My sales were down as well awhile back and that is why I started doing. It pays out in a long run. 

yes, until everyone does 2%, then it will take 4%, then 6% then ..........

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Certainly it didn't take long for eBay to raise the one percent to two percent.

But like Reserves on Auctions or SubTitles , PL is an option.

I have found that PL listings do not sell better than non-PL, but having some PL listings increases Views and sales-- whether  PL or non-PL items.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply