cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And people wonder where the buyers have gone...

Last week my friend, who is a huge Disney fan, purchased a set of Limited Edition theme park trading pins here on eBay.

She received them today... wrapped in toilet paper and shoved into a manila (not even padded) envelope.  Is it any wonder that buyers are leaving eBay?  That sort of thing is shameful and sellers who do that should be given the boot.  Don't wrap your purchases in TOILET PAPER, for crying out loud!  At least use paper towels or napkins or SOMETHING!  Take some pride in what you're doing and remember that there is another person on the other end who is going to be receiving whatever it is that you've shipped.  Put in a little effort!

Message 1 of 308
latest reply
307 REPLIES 307

Re: And people wonder where the buyers have gone...

I do not send anything in plastic or bubble mailers.  By reusing them all you are doing is making it someone else's problem to have to dispose of.

If you are concerned about the environment do not use them period.

Message 121 of 308
latest reply

@equid0x wrote:
I'm always confused as to why the buyers can't simply return the item in the same packaging in which they were sent the item?

Because some of the packaging I get is so bad that in order to get my item out without destroying it, I have to practically destroy the package it is in.  But that does not take much considering the condition they are sent in in the first place.

The last bubble mailer I had to hold up to the light and hold my breath trying to get the item out.  It must have been reused quite a few times considering the tape used to hold it together.

And with the Frankenstein packages no clue how they safely got to me in the first place, but not going to try and repeat the experience trying to send it back.

Message 122 of 308
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@equid0x wrote:
I'm always confused as to why the buyers can't simply return the item in the same packaging in which they were sent the item?

Because some of the packaging I get is so bad that in order to get my item out without destroying it, I have to practically destroy the package it is in.  But that does not take much considering the condition they are sent in in the first place.

The last bubble mailer I had to hold up to the light and hold my breath trying to get the item out.  It must have been reused quite a few times considering the tape used to hold it together.

And with the Frankenstein packages no clue how they safely got to me in the first place, but not going to try and repeat the experience trying to send it back.

I can understand this. Personally, I have not had this experience with any sellers I have purchased from. 

For my own sales, I typically package items to where I "think they will make it." It probably takes some experience to know whats going to ship well and what won't. For questionable items, I will package in a sturdy box with packing peanuts and may add more if I think the item is fragile, such as pre-wrapping the item in large bubble wrap, adding painter's tape or foam to areas that might rub, removing and packaging items that may come loose or tying down those items if removal is not possible/feasible/or affixing them with tape may be inadequate. 

I try to buy packaging that is at least an inch or two larger than the item to protect from impact. I mostly use new packing supplies but may reuse other supplies if they are not in questionable condition or will reflect poorly on my business because they look like they've "been put through the ringer."

Its in my best interest to package well. I don't want returns if I can avoid them and good packaging is the first step in making that happen. 

It may sound ridiculous, but I have only had two buyers complain about my packaging. The first stole parts and accessories from the unit then returned the item, non-functional, smashed, and unsalable in a much larger box with no padding. The second complained that I did not pack a camera in a plastic bag before placing it in packing peanuts and complained that they had to remove and clean the lenses before they could use the camera due to peanut "dust."

Message 123 of 308
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

@adkhighker wrote:

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

@pvcliff wrote:

We saw the segment about plastic on 60 Minutes a couple weeks ago. Truly eye opening, as well as apalling. So sad to see the dead birds, and what's left inside the rotted remains of their tummies?  Plastic shavings! My gut reaction was "we have to stop producing plastic right now!" But then I look around and think, so am I going to be typing on a wooden keyboard, reach for a wooden phone and take a note with a pen made from wood? I don't know what the answer is, but the plastic Starbucks straws I'm hoarding are just a drop in the bucket. I don't know what it will take to turn around the tons of plastic that gets into the environment.

You might want to do some research on where most of the oceans trash comes from. You might be surprised it’s not America. And banning plastic straws? Waste of time. 

So because you think most of the oceans trash isn't coming from America makes it all okay? And the straws thing is a waste of time? 

As far as the straws, I'm glad that people are starting to smarten up when it comes to just how many little things can be done to help the environment. Even though not using straws only helps in a small way, at least it does help, but the main thing about the straws conversations is that at least it is making people more aware of the environment and what we can do to conseve it. It's also making people more aware of not being so wasteful at the same time. Since the straws awareness came about, I've been just fine drinking straight from the glasses or cups whenever I'm out, and so far I haven't dropped dead from any germs that I might have come in contact from when my mouth has been in direct contact with the glass. 

I think that until you face where the bulk of the problem is coming from, and something is done about it,  banning straws won’t make one bit of difference.  80% of all the trash in the ocean comes from China and other Asian countries. 

And yes, I think the “straw thing” is a symbolic waste of time. 46% of the total garbage in the ocean is abandoned fishing gear.  Plastic straws are a minuscule amount. 

America could stop all the trash we contribute to the ocean trash pile and it wouldn’t stop it from growing. Then what?

Do do I think throwing trash in the gutter is ok? Of course not. But banning straws isn’t going to make the oceans trash pile go away and the Asian countries   Wont care how environmentally friendly or green you are. You feel better but feelings won’t solve this issue. Congress needs to deal with China regarding it. 

Personally I try very hard to avoid Chinese made goods. I don’t like how they treat the earth, treat their people, treat animals, steal technology, and under cut American made products. Basically they are laughing in America’s face all the way to the bank.   Want to really make a difference?  Ban Chinese products from your life. Meantime, i’ll Keep my straws.

So much plastic is shipped to China for "recycling". Personally I think they dump most of it into the ocean.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 124 of 308
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

@adkhighker wrote:

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

@pvcliff wrote:

We saw the segment about plastic on 60 Minutes a couple weeks ago. Truly eye opening, as well as apalling. So sad to see the dead birds, and what's left inside the rotted remains of their tummies?  Plastic shavings! My gut reaction was "we have to stop producing plastic right now!" But then I look around and think, so am I going to be typing on a wooden keyboard, reach for a wooden phone and take a note with a pen made from wood? I don't know what the answer is, but the plastic Starbucks straws I'm hoarding are just a drop in the bucket. I don't know what it will take to turn around the tons of plastic that gets into the environment.

You might want to do some research on where most of the oceans trash comes from. You might be surprised it’s not America. And banning plastic straws? Waste of time. 

So because you think most of the oceans trash isn't coming from America makes it all okay? And the straws thing is a waste of time? 

As far as the straws, I'm glad that people are starting to smarten up when it comes to just how many little things can be done to help the environment. Even though not using straws only helps in a small way, at least it does help, but the main thing about the straws conversations is that at least it is making people more aware of the environment and what we can do to conseve it. It's also making people more aware of not being so wasteful at the same time. Since the straws awareness came about, I've been just fine drinking straight from the glasses or cups whenever I'm out, and so far I haven't dropped dead from any germs that I might have come in contact from when my mouth has been in direct contact with the glass. 

I think that until you face where the bulk of the problem is coming from, and something is done about it,  banning straws won’t make one bit of difference.  80% of all the trash in the ocean comes from China and other Asian countries. 

And yes, I think the “straw thing” is a symbolic waste of time. 46% of the total garbage in the ocean is abandoned fishing gear.  Plastic straws are a minuscule amount. 

America could stop all the trash we contribute to the ocean trash pile and it wouldn’t stop it from growing. Then what?

Do do I think throwing trash in the gutter is ok? Of course not. But banning straws isn’t going to make the oceans trash pile go away and the Asian countries   Wont care how environmentally friendly or green you are. You feel better but feelings won’t solve this issue. Congress needs to deal with China regarding it. 

Personally I try very hard to avoid Chinese made goods. I don’t like how they treat the earth, treat their people, treat animals, steal technology, and under cut American made products. Basically they are laughing in America’s face all the way to the bank.   Want to really make a difference?  Ban Chinese products from your life. Meantime, i’ll Keep my straws.

So much plastic is shipped to China for "recycling". Personally I think they dump most of it into the ocean.

If you had watched the 60 minutes expose on this, thats exactly what they're doing. The US recycler in the interview directly admitted that 90% of "recycled" units are simply sold to China, Malaysia, India, where they either dump them or burn them. 

I've known this for years. When I lived back east, I witnessed the garbage truck robot arm thing pickup the recycling and dump it right in the back of the truck with the rest of the trash.

At least in the Baltimore area and surrounding counties, it was no real secret that the "recycling" was either being burned in the b-more county incinerator or stored in warehouses. How do I know? I know someone how owned a large warehouse close to Baltimore inner harbor on a 50 year lease to the county that was doing nothing more than compacting and storing the "recycled" goods in the warehouse. 

It was all legals because as long as the state/entities could say they had a "plan" to recycle the items "at some point in the future" they qualified for all the federal subsidies for recycling which also had kickbacks for the state.

So far as I know, the only things that "really" get recycled are plain brown cardboard, certain types of plain clear plastic soda bottles(if you wear one of the newer "bubble style" coats - there it is), white paper, clear-green-brown glass, pure aluminum, iron, steel, or copper. 

The rest of it gets dumped. Some of the overseas recycling places reclaim precious metals like gold or silver by burning off old TVs and electronic circuit boards and then harvesting the leftovers. 

The whole **bleep** is a scam because really, there is no money in recycling most of it, expecially plastics, and since its not economically viable, nobody will do it. 

Message 125 of 308
latest reply

@equid0x wrote:

@drusalina wrote:

I received a used keyboard that was full of dust and hair.  Not sure if it was human or dog, but I cleaned it up and works fine.  I also received a fake leather bag, folded up in a manilla envelope, and it was destroyed. with permanent creases.    I've received books from book sellers in plastic shipping bags.  Some arrive OK, but some look like they went through the war. 

Here is what I do when I am ready to sell something: 

1. Clean it or wash it first.

2. Take good photos and several of them showing all angles.  Write good descriptions, if there is something wrong or a flaw put it in the description it will save headaches later. 

3. Find a box, bag to ship the item in. (I use cereal boxes and tissue boxes, they are clean and light weight for Un-breakable items. I like to recycle as much as possible.

4. Weigh the item in the box or bag with some packing material to get a good estimate.  Go a few ounces over for tape and label. 

5.  I shred newspaper for packing material for light weight items under 4 oz. 

6.  Write down all the info of the item, description, price, fees, shipping weight, date listed and profit.  This way you know if you can lower the price or raise it if it doesn't sell right away.  Sometimes I put this info in the Notes for the listing under More Actions. 

7. All my new items get put in a plastic bag (the 100 bags gallon size with twist ties from Walmart).  I use inexpensive clean garbage bags for larger items if needed.  Used items (like clothing) get put in bags before they are put in another box or plastic shipping bag.  

8.  If I have an  item that can be shipped flat, like a book or calendar or other unbreakable, I sandwich it between cardboard and tape it down all around the edges.  Or a padded envelope and write "DO NOT BEND" on it.  Less weight and no packing material needed.

When you walk through stores, and you see carts of empty boxes, ask if you can take them, and most of the time the stockers say yes.  If you see packing material, bubble wrap or Styrofoam ask and the stockers usually have no problem with you taking it.  I also go the the UPS store and buy the big big bag of Styrofoam peanuts.  It will last quite a while.   I also will cut down or remake a box to reduce the weight or packing material.  I've also cut a Regular Priority box in half, and used it as a Lid on another Priority Box, if I have a larger item.  

I wouldn't use toilet paper just because, well because.  

When I sell glass or pottery I only will ship, ground.  This may be just me but I think, not sure, that when they put pottery or glass in the unpressurized cargo hold in an airplane, it may cause the glass to break.  I have received and sent items that were sent Priority Mail, and they arrived broken.  

I have repeatedly told eBay when they email me a survey,  to have some videos produced with how to pack different items.    Make the new sellers watch them. Show bad packing and the result of when it arrives at the buyers broken or mangled.

Postage prices are going up in January and you don't always have to have new boxes and new packing material, but like another poster said, think about how you would like to receive an item you purchased. 

Well be careful, there are some busybodies around who might neg you for using a potentially used garbage bag as packing material or who might file a case with the USPS IG for misuse of priority mail cartons...

I am one of those people. You might as well go ahead and put me on your blocked buyers list now.

I report misuse of USPS Priority Mail shipping supplies for non Priority Mail shipping services each and every time. It only takes 2 minutes. Why?Because it is theft! THE USPS IS NOT YOUR FREE PACKAGING MATERIALS SUPPLIER!

Message 126 of 308
latest reply

There are many reasons for 'poor packing'.

1)  Handling.

When folks bring packed items anywhere, they carry them, carefully, often w/ rain protection. They load their car w/ what fits w/o jamming, crushing, or stacking heavy on light. Each box is given attention.

When USPS, UPS, Fed Ex workers handle, they are timed, watched. Speed counts. The worker has no time to try & figure out the best place in a truck for fragile items. Boxes fall off carts, carriers, conveyors, trucks, plane cargo holds. They get rained or snowed on. They get too hot, too cold.  

A cake you carry to grandma's over a holiday will most likely arrive unscathed. A cake shipped will often arrive smooshed, despite your best efforts.

2) Free / cheap shipping / low prices.

Buyers want to pay as little as possible. Quality/durable packing materials cost money. Even if free sourced, a whole clean, dry room may be required to store. That is part of a home or office that costs rent/heat/insurance.

Packing takes time. I can spend over an hour packing, testing, a large or very fragile item. What is my time worth as a packer ? Even at minimum wage, buyers don't want to pay that. I get 'offers' that don't cover postage, fees, cost of item and supplies, much less a wage for me. "They" want cheap. Then "they" complain about "quality". Tiffany's service at yard sale prices. Many Sellers try to minimize packaging to not cross from under 4 lbs to 4.1 lbs, which can add big increases to postage.

3) Inexperience.

I test my parcels. I pinch, squeeze, drop. I try & imagine awful things happening on the voyage. That, too, is tiring & stressful.

Message 127 of 308
latest reply

More like a squashed blossom necklace. j/k Those are so beautiful. I've made some metal jewelry in my time, but nothing like the exquisite works of art these are. I'd be fit to be tied.
Message 128 of 308
latest reply

@drusalina wrote:

I've also received yarn that had been sprayed with canned floral or febreeze spray.  It stunk.  I've also received yarn that smelled so moldy and musty, that I am still airing it out after 3 years.  If it smells wash it if you can.  If you can't wash it, don't try to cover it up with sprays or fabric softener sheets.   If it has a musty odor, put it in the listing and let the buyer decide if they want to deal with it.  Or if it smells bad and it can't be washed, just don't sell it.  

Try this for musty odor. Put the yarn in a ziplock bag or bags and put the bag(s) in your deep freeze and leave them there for 3 or 4 days.  I've found this effective for a lot of things from old magazines and books to vintage clothing.  Should work with yarn.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 129 of 308
latest reply

@moondogblues wrote:
I wish that everyone would rethink plastic. Peanuts, grocery bags, even diapers. Did anyone see the special on how full our oceans are with plastic castoffs? And how it never really breaks down. Yes, it gets smaller and smaller and fish and other things eat it, and now they are finding those tiny particles in US! This can't be good. I've been making a concerted effort to not buy anything in plastic that I can't use for a long time. Maybe forever, or till the kids clean out the estate. Just my thought...

To really freak yourself out, go into your bathroom and take a mental count of the massive number of plastic items/containers/appliances etc.  It's probably the most plastic-filled room in the house.

Message 130 of 308
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

@pvcliff wrote:

Another fun fact - although biodegradable, wood chopsticks are not made of scrap wood.  In 2011, China's national forest bureau reported that 3.8 million trees are consumed annually to manufacture 57 billion pairs of disposable chopsticks.

Message 131 of 308
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

Don't worry, with all the rollbacks of environmental protections, we're catching up.

Message 132 of 308
latest reply

@city*satins wrote:

@moondogblues wrote:
I wish that everyone would rethink plastic. Peanuts, grocery bags, even diapers. Did anyone see the special on how full our oceans are with plastic castoffs? And how it never really breaks down. Yes, it gets smaller and smaller and fish and other things eat it, and now they are finding those tiny particles in US! This can't be good. I've been making a concerted effort to not buy anything in plastic that I can't use for a long time. Maybe forever, or till the kids clean out the estate. Just my thought...

To really freak yourself out, go into your bathroom and take a mental count of the massive number of plastic items/containers/appliances etc.  It's probably the most plastic-filled room in the house.

And let's not forget the billions of tons of plastic packaging tape.

Message 133 of 308
latest reply

@equid0x wrote:

Because buyers don't expect to have to return and the packing may have been destroyed in opening it, or it simply arrived in such shape as to be impractical or wise to send the item back in it.  You may be very fortunate that the buyer chose to return in a different box.  Sometimes an item is packed in such a way that the buyer is fortunate to remove the item any way they can, and it's really not a good idea to re-use it.

Message 134 of 308
latest reply

And then there was the buyer who negged a seller because the packing peanuts weren't all one color!
Message 135 of 308
latest reply