cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After 22 years, it's time to quit. WARNING about "opting in.".

So for some time now I keep getting messages from eBay about "opting in" to create ad campaigns.

Basically we are being told that if we opt in, depending on how much we want to spend, we can have our listings featured or favored in search results.  This means that if you don't "opt in" that you listings will NOT be featured and will most likely be relegated to page 10 of search results.

Think about this....if EVERYONE opted in to this program, then we would all be on the same equal footing that we were all in prior to the implementation of this program...except that eBay is a lot Lot LOT richer.  How clever of eBay.  What a great way for them to make everyone pay more for their listings without actually raising their prices.

I am sure their argument is that we have a "choice" to opt in.  But they leave out the fact that if you don't opt in, you will sell nothing.  It's like paying "protection" money to the mafia.

I've sold between 20 and 100 items per week for the past 20+ years.  Right now I have not had a sale for over 8 days.  I'll be closing my eBay store for the first time since eBay started having stores.  My merch will be getting clearanced on Facebook Marketplace and I'll set up at a flea market to get rid of the rest.

Thank you eBay for being so extra extra greedy that you have destroyed what was once a great marketplace.

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

@gozhven wrote:

But they leave out the fact that if you don't opt in, you will sell nothing.

I can tell you for a fact that that is not true.

But good luck to you in the future.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 2 of 30
latest reply

I am in agreement with @inhawaii 

Most items I sell are not promoted ....

used judiciously, PL is an asset that has been utilized almost universally in one form or another for years by many online platforms...just disguised/named/implemented differently.....

Note: OP...you have some really neat stuff 😊

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

I don't know why everywhere gets all bent out of shape by promoted listings. It's advertising. Just like out in the real world, if you advertise, you increase your exposure and your likelihood of getting more sales. Nothing is guaranteed. Learn it, live it, love it. 

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

@heckofagame wrote:

I don't know why everywhere gets all bent out of shape by promoted listings. It's advertising. Just like out in the real world, if you advertise, you increase your exposure and your likelihood of getting more sales. Nothing is guaranteed. Learn it, live it, love it. 

But what if everyone advertised the same amount, then what? 

It's like they would be paying for nothing.   😉

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 5 of 30
latest reply

Some say that we are paying for nothing already. 

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

No it's not, in advertising the Ad is run and all can see it. Not so with these algorithms. 

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

@huntfishdie45      With all advertising/promotion, the buyer needs to be in the right place at the right time to see it, regardless of algorithms. 

Message 8 of 30
latest reply

In this case when the buyer is in the right place at the right time he sees other people's ads in the middle of your page.

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

I feel the same way as you, and it's incredibly sad. I'm sorry for your bad experience in the end. I haven't had a sale in several days and I refuse to lower my prices to the point where it's a charity.

I hope the execs at Ebay are happy with their 3 homes, luxury cars, and fat bank accounts. Greedy.

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

Right now I've got some items up to 15% promotion and they don't show up even when I search for the exact title.

I'm experimenting by lowering my promotion numbers to 5% and seeing if it makes any difference.  I'm getting an incredibly low number of watchers and views in the past 8 days but all other platforms I sell on are normal.

For the past 2+ years it feels like it's a non-stop rollercoaster with this platform and people needed to be mass fired years ago.

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

I love all the real world Advertising  Ebay has going on ALL over!

Oppps my mistake that the Competition!

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

I guess it depends upon what is being sold.

I promote nothing.

My items sell.

No sales .......................  takes in many factors. Promotions a factor?  Possibly.

For me, the ones that do not sell are those in a race to the bottom where numpty sellers choose to list at prices that defy logic. 

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

Unfortunately  I have to close up too!

Between the $600 IRS fiasco,

And going from 1k to 100 a month is nonsense. 

I downgraded from a $59 store to the $23 one at the beginning of the year and let eBay know RIGHT HERE that I have problems and would leave and got nothing. 

Not even a..What can we do to keep our GREAT Partner?

OK Bye...My tv show is on!!!

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

@aldelbertmatthew wrote:

Right now I've got some items up to 15% promotion and they don't show up even when I search for the exact title.

I'm experimenting by lowering my promotion numbers to 5% and seeing if it makes any difference.  I'm getting an incredibly low number of watchers and views in the past 8 days but all other platforms I sell on are normal.

For the past 2+ years it feels like it's a non-stop rollercoaster with this platform and people needed to be mass fired years ago.

So YOU were the reason why, lol. Throwin' off the averages.

Honestly most of my PL hovers around 3-5% and I get okay exposure. No way I'm ever going anywhere near the suggested rates.

Message 15 of 30
latest reply