cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account being slowly destroyed by illegitimate returns...

So there was a month where it was pretty quiet on the "**bleep** returns" front.  I've posted prior threads articulating some of the atrocities that were happening recently.  Welp, back to the downward-spiral.

Recently sold a hard case for a guitar which I clearly state is for specific models of short-scale guitars.  Someone wants to return it because, "it is very short and doesn't fit my bass".  No where is it stated it is for bass.  The header clearly notates guitar models and the body clearly notates it's for guitar.  

If it was two years ago, I would have this cleared out quickly.  But now, the "we want to gut you" policies eBay has... this will end up costing me $50.  

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: Account being slowly destroyed by illegitimate returns...

You and the other EBay cheerleaders on this post are asking him to put a full list of every guitar and base known to man that the GUITAR case does not fit.

Because he hasn't your considering it his fault for the return??

If I am buying a Ford expedition bumper would I need measurements? NO I would not.

The same it true if I'm buying a case for a SPECIFIC model of guitar. I do not need to know the measurements or what models of guitar (or base) it doesn't fit.

I bet I could go through all of your ads and find many things that were not mentioned.

Like this one for example

"Automotive Systems Study Guide
Based on the textbook Auto Fundamentals, 11th Edition 2015"

1-What age group is it for? (Adults? Kids?)
2-What are the measurements of the book? (Gotta make sure it fits on my book shelf)
3-What exactly does it teach ? (Please be very specific)

You just say in your ad content and I quote:

"Automotive Systems Study Guide
Based on the textbook Auto Fundamentals, 11th Edition 2015

American School curriculum. There are NO TESTS in this workbook.
All other materials are present.

Thanks for looking!"

Sounds pretty vague to me.
Message 46 of 56
latest reply

@michael_atw wrote:

I've sold - at this point - probably $2.75 million dollars in guitar related items.  Never have I ever had to do such a thing.  I clearly stated what it is for.  I've sold hundreds of cases.  

With that being said, we are all well-aware that I could put measurements down to the mm and it would make no difference in return requests in 2018. 

My mom and aunt were both Ebay sellers while I was growing up.  Providing measurements was the first thing I learned and that was back in elementary school.  I have a no return policy but part of having that policy is that I provide teh measurements.  It helps me out 9 times out of 10.  I have had only 2 requests for returns in about 3 years now and only one of them actually returned the item for a refund (which I refuse to give until I get my item back - no return, no refund).

Message 47 of 56
latest reply

You sell cloths and jewlery. Sizes and measurements are very important for your catagory.

He sells guitar cases made for SPECIFIC models of guitars.

Measurements may be applicable for your catagory  but it's not for his.

It's obvious the buyer either ignored the contents of his listing where it said what model the guitar case was for or they didn't read the ad at all.

Not only the size have to be right but the shape of the case has to fit the instrument as well. That's why measurments do not help.

It was the buyers fault for not taking a few minutes to read the ad (And looking at the model of guitar this case was made for) and the seller should not have to pay $50.00 shipping BOTH ways because someone could'nt take a few minutes to read the ad.

Message 48 of 56
latest reply

He sells guitar cases made for SPECIFIC models of guitars.

The case in question is generic.

Message 49 of 56
latest reply

@internetshop-us

No need to be so rude. People are trying to help the OP have less problems. Giving a measurement of the case would solve that.

Message 50 of 56
latest reply

eBay wants sellers to take care of buyers and leave eBay out of it.

Now that's funny, right there!  They want to sell my item with their Title, they decide to change the listing format without the sellers permission, and now they want to set prices... but eBay wants to be left out of it?

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 51 of 56
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

eBay wants sellers to take care of buyers and leave eBay out of it.

Now that's funny, right there!  They want to sell my item with their Title, they decide to change the listing format without the sellers permission, and now they want to set prices... but eBay wants to be left out of it?

And the next logical step will be:

Ebay accepts offers on the behalf of sellers and if the sellers don't agree = DEFECT!

Message 52 of 56
latest reply

Thank you for the wonderful funny post.  You need to add.  Please do not not buy this item.

Message 53 of 56
latest reply

Cool, the poster is not being rude, they are being comical. Measurements are extremely important and yes, this is excellent advice for future transactions for the seller, but, sadly, still people do not read sometimes, nor do they measure properly and these returns cannot be avoided by any means at times. Buyers make mistakes and they are not accountable for them. That's the way it is. 

Message 54 of 56
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

Yep, that's what this buyer now does.  I just move on to another seller who will actually give the needed info in the listing.

Contacting sellers now is like walking through a minefield. Between being outright ignored and being accused of being a scammer for asking a simple question, it's just not worth the energy. Buying stuff on Ebay shouldn't involve being ignored or harassed over a simple question about info that should be in the listing to begin with.

Exactly.  A few months ago I was looking to buy a particular thing that came in two different sizes (I wanted the larger size).  Almost half the listings for this thing never mentioned which of the two sizes they were selling!  I shouldn't have to message the seller just to ask "by the way, is this the 1" one or the 2" one?"

I needed to replace a part for a tool and the options I found were small, medium and large. My tool only came with two sizes originally and I didn't know which one I needed based on S,M,L but I did know what size I needed based on measurements. The mfr website only listed S,M,L with no measurements. I messaged one of the 2 sellers who had the product and asked for a measurement and was ignored. I went out and bought it locally instead and felt less like wasting time asking sellers for measurements on future purchases.

Message 55 of 56
latest reply

@internetshop-us wrote:
You and the other EBay cheerleaders on this post are asking him to put a full list of every guitar and base known to man that the GUITAR case does not fit.

Because he hasn't your considering it his fault for the return??

If I am buying a Ford expedition bumper would I need measurements? NO I would not.

The same it true if I'm buying a case for a SPECIFIC model of guitar. I do not need to know the measurements or what models of guitar (or base) it doesn't fit.

But this buyer did not search for a specific model guitar case.  They obviously were looking for generic case that fits lots of guitars.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 56 of 56
latest reply