cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account being slowly destroyed by illegitimate returns...

So there was a month where it was pretty quiet on the "**bleep** returns" front.  I've posted prior threads articulating some of the atrocities that were happening recently.  Welp, back to the downward-spiral.

Recently sold a hard case for a guitar which I clearly state is for specific models of short-scale guitars.  Someone wants to return it because, "it is very short and doesn't fit my bass".  No where is it stated it is for bass.  The header clearly notates guitar models and the body clearly notates it's for guitar.  

If it was two years ago, I would have this cleared out quickly.  But now, the "we want to gut you" policies eBay has... this will end up costing me $50.  

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

@michael_atw wrote:

I've posted prior threads articulating some of the atrocities that were happening recently. 

Yes, you have. Thanks for keeping us posted on every return request you receive.

Message 2 of 56
latest reply

Michael - I would put measurements in every listing as we know some people aren't aware of what they actually have. That way they could measure their instrument and see it wouldn't fit.

Message 3 of 56
latest reply

@michael_atw wrote:

Recently sold a hard case for a guitar which I clearly state is for specific models of short-scale guitars.  Someone wants to return it because, "it is very short and doesn't fit my bass".  No where is it stated it is for bass.  The header clearly notates guitar models and the body clearly notates it's for guitar. 

Though I probably don't know guitars as well as you, what am I missing?  You don't provide a single dimension in that listing, only that it fits one or two guitars from 60 years ago and other short scales.

So, let's say I have an old short scale Fender bass that I "guess" might fit based on the shape of the case.  How can I as a buyer be faulted?  The buyer thought it might fit ... it didn't ... so he's returning it.

If you would provide even one dimension of the cases you list, it might reduce the returns.

Message 4 of 56
latest reply

I've sold - at this point - probably $2.75 million dollars in guitar related items.  Never have I ever had to do such a thing.  I clearly stated what it is for.  I've sold hundreds of cases.  

With that being said, we are all well-aware that I could put measurements down to the mm and it would make no difference in return requests in 2018. 

Message 5 of 56
latest reply

I don't provide a single dimension for the same reason 98% of eBayers don't measure their items.  It is redundant and irrelevant when you provide models and types.  That is not the issue. 

Message 6 of 56
latest reply

thank you for the info..

Message 7 of 56
latest reply

@michael_atw wrote:

I don't provide a single dimension for the same reason 98% of eBayers don't measure their items.  It is redundant and irrelevant when you provide models and types.  That is not the issue. 

Unfortunately this is the new eBay and you have to cover every single base.

Message 8 of 56
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

Michael - I would put measurements in every listing as we know some people aren't aware of what they actually have. That way they could measure their instrument and see it wouldn't fit.

A responsible buyer would contact seller for any information needed that may be lacking within a listing before making a commitment to buy and thereby avoid inconvenience and costs associated with making a return.  

Message 9 of 56
latest reply

That's not true.  eBay now has policies which usurp objective truth - which I notate in the OP.   eBay no longer cares about the content of your listing. 

Message 10 of 56
latest reply

Exactly.  Moreso, after making this thread, the guy follows up totally confused about it all, justifying his mistake.  I said, it is as-described, change the return to what it actually is (ordered by mistake or an equivalent) and pay the return shipping and my restocking fee.  

If it was me (and I have bought items by mistake once in a great while), I own my mistake, I stop trashing sellers for my mistake, and I either keep the item or resell it.  It would cost this guy $50 to pack and return it as such, if he does that he claims he's offering to do.  He could resell it, he'd lose probably $30, and he'd come out ahead.  

No.  Personal. Responsibility.  It's dead in the USA - and it's shameful.  

Message 11 of 56
latest reply

As is

A used item

No returns

No refunds

USPS delivery. Packed securely in a box.

If there are any questions, just ask.

_________

It can't be any clearer than that. (I rarely sell new stuff, or anything that has a powered or moving part)
Message 12 of 56
latest reply

No. Personal. Responsibility. It's dead in the USA - and it's shameful.

---------

michael_atw:

Lawmakers can force personal responsibility like no other group in this society can. They can lay it down and create laws that mandate it, or if you break the law and act irresponsible, face punishment and consequences. Sadly, lawmakers care about political correctness, and not personal responsibility nor punishments for the lack thereof.

Upset about lack of personal responsibility? Blame a legislator. I mean, seriously, they knew decades ago that people need a little poking and prodding, to be personally responsible...and they ignored that truth 100%.

...it's being politically correct that they've pledged allegiance to.

Message 13 of 56
latest reply

Who has a lack of personal responsibility? The seller for creating incomplete ads or the buyer who didn't ask questions?

As the deemed professional, the seller has a higher burden of behavior. Plus the seller suffers the fallout when things go bad. So I think the lack of personal responsibility lies more with the seller than the buyer. Refusing to create complete ads then complaining about the outcome is the epitome of a lack of personal responsibility IMHO.

I would never consider selling things like the OP does without measurements. That's just asking for problems.

I guess we all bring different perspectives to the table. It seems what once worked for the OP given his long success on Ebay no longer does. Time to change the game.

Message 14 of 56
latest reply

Surely, it's not that difficult to take and provide basic measurements. This could go a very long way toward curbing returns.

You can't very well continue to engage in the same listing practices over and over again and expect different results to come from it; you'll be back here next week complaining about yet another 'illegitimate return' because you failed to take any action to address the problem. I mean, why even come here if you aren't willing to listen to anyone's advice?
Message 15 of 56
latest reply