cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accept Returns or not. What difference does it make?

I've always accepted all returns, 30 days, but lately  I'm wondering if I need to go through this. I get some of the strangest reasons for returns and some are plain troubling....like they wanted a piece of jewelry for the weekend. Yep had that twice.

What do you do and why?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Accept Returns or not. What difference does it make?

@odditiesandantiquities1 wrote:

I've always accepted all returns, 30 days, but lately  I'm wondering if I need to go through this. I get some of the strangest reasons for returns and some are plain troubling....like they wanted a piece of jewelry for the weekend. Yep had that twice.

What do you do and why?

If you can get this in email, that would be considered remorse.  And if you did not have a return policy, you would not have to take it back.

I sell fine jewelry and I learned the hard way buyers are going to figure out a way to call it SNAD and then damage it to prove their point.

I take everything back as my main concern is they do not destroy an expensive piece, like someone did with a $1,000 platinum band.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

That's why I take refunds I guess. I know they will come up with whatever they want to return something.  

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Well, everyone has their own opinion.  Personally, I sell clothing, some glassware, and some shoes/purses.  I have a no returns policy.  I've had very few buyers claim SNADS, mostly on items $28-70.  Very few went through with actually opening cases, because I knew how to sift through the nonsense and make them admit it wasn't.  Some ended up returning on their dime,  and leaving me glowing feedback.  On the very few items where something arrived damaged, I gladly and quickly refunded.

No returns policy

Pros:  You can choose if you want to accept as long as it is not as described.

Cons:  Some people say, buyers will find a way to claim INAD to circumvent your policy.

Reality: Buyers do that same thing to avoid paying shipping back even if you do have a return policy.  You've seen this when you mentioned the lady just, "renting" the jewlery for the weekend.  Personally, I only have to deal with as much as I sell, maybe 5-8 broken/INAD/lost package issues oer year.  I end up filing USPS claims, and all is well.

Returns policy

Pros:  Some say this reduces the number of INADS, more buyers will buy from you as they see this as an assurance they're not, "stuck" with the item post sale.... Some disagree.

Cons: As mentioned, buyers can still claim INAD, and you're stuck paying return shipping.  You also HAVE to accept the return within the alotted time, regardless of the reason.

Reality: ^^^^

Only you can try both methods and see what works for your size store, what you want to deal with, and your items.  I don't want to mess with returns because I work out of my garage and office.  I want that stuff outta here.  If it comes back, it typically never resells.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

If you don't, then the only time you will get a request for return is on items not as described or defective, and a buyer will look for any reason to return on your dime if he's just changed his mind..

If you give the buyer a choice to return the item for whatever reason, you can implement a restocking fee to discourage impulse buyers. Most returns will be legitmate, whereas not offering returns only incites  a lot of false SNADs.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

As I've said, that's not true.  I do have buyers that legitimately state it just didn't fit right, and had no problem paying the return shipping.  Also, buyers will claim INAD to avoid restocking fees.  You cannot charge this on INAD returns.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

I had 14-day returns from the beginning ... I can't recall why but I guess when I made my very first listing, the form said I needed a Return Policy so I chose that.  Then I raised it to 30 days back in 2014 I think so I could get or keep my TRS discount or something like that.  

I can't remember exactly but I think I read here that having a NO RETURNS policy could result in a possibly nasty buyer returning an item they didn't completely like but might have kept anyway had the seller listed it With Returns Accepted (for whatever amount of time)  but now they have to make up a story like Not As Described or some other untrue reason.  

Also, I recall reading that a buyer *might have a better feeling about a Seller when they have a Returns Accepted policy.  

I rarely look at a seller's return policy.  Doesn't matter anyway as long as the item I purchased is what it was described as in the listing.  

I only had one seller recently sell me something that was not as described and I really didn't like it but I had to open a case because he said they do not send return labels.    In the end he responded and offered to let me keep his item with a 50% refund.  

I decided that was better than having to drive to the P.O. and ship it back to him.

I intend to leave him positive feedback because I don't understand why he couldn't send the label, and since the item he shipped me was very nice, it was just a lot smaller than what he described in his listing, I don't mind keeping it and perhaps one day I will give it to someone who can use it.  

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

When you don't have return policy, meaning that if you don't accept returns, eBay simply will not  pay credence to the products you have to sell and will drop them down so that they are not visible.

eBay will soon implement 60 Day Return Policy.  I know for certain that those that do not follow it will not have their items shown broadly.

I am waiting for the day when eBay does the same as Paypal - 6 month return policy or you cannot sell on here as part of the TOS.   It's probably been discussed.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Which of course is circumvented by searching lowest-highest, highest-lowest price, by size, color, new/used, etc.  Then, this will only be the nail in their coffin in favor of the River, or other onloine consignment sites, or brick-and-mortar consignment.  It won't last long.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

@skatesave said: eBay will soon implement 60 Day Return Policy.  I know for certain that those that do not follow it will not have their items shown broadly.

So right now if a seller has a 30-day return policy and a buyer decides 45 days (or whatever) later, the item is no longer working, broke, or isn't what was as described in the listing and they didn't realize it --- would they still be able to return it for a full refund?  And if so, do they get to keep the item?   And does the seller have to pay for the return shipping?  

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Does it even matter if it is 30 days or 60 days, when you can just return it through paypal or do a chargeback through your credt card company up to 180 days later?

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Does it even matter if it is 30 days or 60 days, when you can just return it through paypal or do a chargeback through your credt card company up to 180 days later?

Wow ... I forgot about that.  I guess it doesn't matter.   

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

eBay and PayPal got the sellers bent over a barrel. Just comply and accept returns.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Well,the main problem with 60 day returns is that the 60 days is AFTER the delivery date, and you can only refund thru the transaction from PP for 60 days after payment.

So what is going to happen when someone opens up a return on the 59th day, and PP won't allow the refund thru the transaction?

Thank you for your input. It makes sense to keep things as they are and I accept all returns.  Still you find customes looking to use an INAD even thought I accept all returns anyway.

They are the ones who drive me the most crazy. I had one this week. Talk to CS twice and both reps said if this person leaves any negative feedback it will be removed. This customer even threatened me if I didn't accept the return!! Thank heavens he put that in writing.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply