cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accept Returns or not. What difference does it make?

I've always accepted all returns, 30 days, but lately  I'm wondering if I need to go through this. I get some of the strangest reasons for returns and some are plain troubling....like they wanted a piece of jewelry for the weekend. Yep had that twice.

What do you do and why?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Accept Returns or not. What difference does it make?

@odditiesandantiquities1 wrote:

I've always accepted all returns, 30 days, but lately  I'm wondering if I need to go through this. I get some of the strangest reasons for returns and some are plain troubling....like they wanted a piece of jewelry for the weekend. Yep had that twice.

What do you do and why?

Most mail order takes returns, it's really a necessity in most genres of merchandise... the buyer doesn't get to physically inspect the item.  The idea that once you buy you're forever stuck with it and cannot get out of the transaction in any way would cause most people to refuse to buy mail order.  That's the old school mail order situation.

Here, the buyer has no such problem.  Just claim it's not as described, buyer is getting a refund.  That's what it takes to get mail order to fly in the mass consumer retail market.

Which brings us to Returns.  If the buyer wants out, they're getting a refund - with or without any Return.  Do you want your item back?   If I want my item back, I suppose I need to take Returns.  By doing so, I might get lucky and not have to pay for the return shipping as well.  

I sell jewelry... on another venue.  I've had a few returns.  No one admitted to a rental yet, but I guess it beats borrowing it for the weekend and then just keeping it.   

People who would scam you, or are otherwise problem buyers, I figure they already know they can force a refund through the payment processor regardless of a No Returns policy.  The only people No Returns would discourage are the ones who would be willing to accept whatever terms I'd stipulated... and those are the buyers I actually want. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

We have about 3,500 items in our store.  At least 1/3rd of them are no returns, because they are items that people might use once and try to return.  We also sell shoes, and have toggled between accepting and not accepting returns.  I can honestly say that I have not seen any noticeable change in sales when we offer no returns.  Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it, and I would enjoy the peace of mind of not having to deal with buyers who have been encouraged by Ebay and other online market places to abuse return policies.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

@odditiesandantiquities1

I accept returns, it is too easy for Buyers to get around NOT accepting returns anyway, so at least for serious Buyers when they see the accepted returns my thought is they view that as a positive and a show of confidence in what I am selling.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 18 of 23
latest reply

The important thing in my opinion is to remember that no RETURNS does not mean no REFUNDS.

You can allow the customer to keep the doohickey, but if they want their money back, they will probably get it.

Refusing a Return does not mean you get to keep the money.

Many sellers will accept photos in a damage claim, for example, rather than have either party have the expense of returning a box of glass shards.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

There is the kicker. Many buyers have been taught to circumvent almost any situation. I sell specifically jewelry. I get buyers who make something up to get a few bucks credit. I offer them a full refund and generally 75% don't return. I think it's terrible that this environment exists.

I have my item condition description covering everything I sell as well as with regards to jewelry. The fact that things are approximate is a key because there are so many variants out there. 

Some people think that every 1 carat diamond MUST be 5.2 cm across and if not....well. They don't understand the other factors that go into size. Even the jewelers state that size can be plus or minus .07 carats. 

So having a well covered item condition description help at all?

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

No Returns because there is no way to fight a false SNAD if you take returns. Buyers will file false SNADs just to get out of paying return shipping anyway.

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

Some people think that every 1 carat diamond MUST be 5.2 cm across and if not....well. They don't understand the other factors that go into size. Even the jewelers state that size can be plus or minus .07 carats. 

You must be from outside the US.  

Yes, 1 carat diamonds can have different dimensions.  They can be cut very deep or very shallow.

They can still be a 1 carat diamond, just poorly cut.

But here in the US a diamond has to be at least .95 to be truthfully called a 1 carat diamond.

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

Sorry.....typo .05 to the low +.07 to the high.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply