cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARE SALES SLOW FOR YOU IN 2019 AFTER EBAY SEPARATED FROM PAYPAL?

What is really going on with the reduced number in sales this 2019? 2017 and 2018 were much better, but after ebay began to charge more fees for promotion listings and other new features and after paypal separated from ebay everything seems to have been going downhill since then. it feels as if ebay is screwing over its sellers with major fees and expects to recover from this. How has 2019 treated you so far?

Message 1 of 145
latest reply
144 REPLIES 144

Re: ARE SALES SLOW FOR YOU IN 2019 AFTER EBAY SEPARATED FROM PAYPAL?

Yes, noticeably much slower and I don't know if it's related but I'm running into more and more unpleasant buyers. I mostly sell cosmetics at the moment and in the past this is a category that sells quickly and without serious issues - past buyers haven't tried to nickel and dime me and ask for ridiculous discounts, and they don't complain or open cases after purchase. Why should they, I take a million photos and post clear descriptions of new items.

Now? Not so much. Sales are PLODDING. I'm lucky to sell two or three items a week.
Message 16 of 145
latest reply

@18704d wrote:

" How has 2019 treated you so far?"

------

2019 has been great for me.

I've found that having the right products, at the right prices...

are timeless.

Lynn

Kind of like, If you build it, they will come.

Message 17 of 145
latest reply

In reply to "ROCKSTAR" , I have been selling on Ebay since it's inception and showed a decent profit for 15 years, I buy low and sell based on several factors, market value, book value, how many have I had or seen in the 50 years I have been selling the same items and, I feel I have a better than average grasp of what I am doing. I don't buy high and try to make it up in quantity as you suggest? Gads, 50 years of this doesn't make me a rookie, I know what I am doing or I would have quit s long time ago. Fees and whining buyers don't make things any easier, my prices are fair and I have always priced an item so there is something left in it for the buyer. I have items posted with 40 lookers and 8 or 10 watchers and when it comes down to show time, the buyers disappear. This has been going on for almost 2 years and I have better inventory listed now then in the past as many items are from top collectors and collections in our purchasing area. Ebay is not what it was a few years ago and no one can deny this fact, all my dealings on this sight (over 10,000 positive feedbacks on 2 sites) have followed all of the rules and buyer requests (within reason) and sales continue to fall short of past expectations.  bubba

Message 18 of 145
latest reply

Seems like you  have all the tools to  stop  the red ink sooner than watching  it happen the last 2 years as you reported. 

Never suggested this to you or would I to anyone   " I don't buy high and try to make it up in quantity as you suggest?"  I suggested try to source your products at a lower cost.     Was a commission based sales person (material handling equipment, primarily forklift trucks) for 41  years sold total value and low  pricing was never one of my key features as I was paid a percentage of the  GP.

The  number of  buyers and watchers - just  means someone has looked at  your stuff.  Have sold stuff with in  minutes of  creation a listing, had  items with 30 + watchers that resulted in no sales and every thing in between.  I often  watch  things and have no intention to buy - I might  be  creating a listing  for the same  or similar item - many sellers do this probably  most do.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 19 of 145
latest reply

If you are upset with ebay now, just wait until Elliot and Starbird come on board. All they care about increasing stock values not sellers. 

Message 20 of 145
latest reply

Perhaps

the Great and Wise "Cassini":

eBay's mysterious Search Engine Algo is behind your pain?  

Some thoughts: 

If you're not ranking towards the top of the query, sales will probably suffer. 

Solution/Suggestion: boost your position 

1.  Work Towards "top-rated" seller status

2.  Promote your listings (I know... more fees but if it sells via this method.... possibly worth it?)

No one knows the exact "special sauce" when it comes to where a listing will land... but there's some obvious winning strategies to help...  

Also, Spring / Summer  has been known to be slower historically ...   careful not to leave too much $ on the table and discount when it's not necessary.  

Good luck and hang in there.  Keep in mind that many other platforms (Tradesy, Posh, etc...) charge 20%+ in commissions. eBay is still an essential for my business to stay afloat... the new taxes stink but .... such is life.

Message 21 of 145
latest reply

Who can help us address the issues and make our sales go back up?  I need HELP!!!! Lots of watchers, no sales. I cut my margins a lot and I can't sell for nothing.  ANYONE who has ideas to increase sales, I welcome them!!!!!!!!!

Message 22 of 145
latest reply

@artisticfinds2013 wrote:

Who can help us address the issues and make our sales go back up?  I need HELP!!!! Lots of watchers, no sales. I cut my margins a lot and I can't sell for nothing.  ANYONE who has ideas to increase sales, I welcome them!!!!!!!!!

There's a lot of ways to increase sales  but not all of them promise a whole lot of extra profit  which is the bottom line of why we're all here . The promotions and volume pricing tend to help  but the takeaway is we must pay  for those extra services . So now we're back to actual profits again . The usual helpful  suggestions are catchy titles , free shipping ,, bogo offers , global selling , diversifying,, social media advertising , clearer, better and  increased  number of photos and more curtailed  descriptions  . However none of these ideas guarente increased sales as we all know  so a bit of luck doesn't hurt. So if you run across an Irish kid with red hair  give him a pat on his head . 🙂  Tulips 

Message 23 of 145
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

No, sales are slow for me in 2019 because it's after Christmas and we are smack dab in tax season. Happens every time at this part of the year.

During tax season  I usually see an increase in sales . I suppose this is because the people who are the most attracted to the type of items I sell  are also the type that generally  get refunds   rather than needing to pay taxes . Tulips
Message 24 of 145
latest reply

Yes and I will be ending my anchor store subscription in june if things don't change. I could do better on craigslist, facebook and flea markets than I am currently doing on ebay. I sold more items for more money 2 years ago with less than 500 items than I'm selling now with over 4000.  I was starting to think it was because I never signed up for managed payments. Oh well. eBay is just holding me back from accomplishing some other goals I have anyway. The time I put into eBay and the money I'm making on here just isn't worth it anymore. I'm probably just going to end my subsciption and go back to using the 50 free listings with no store for when I get high value items. 

My goal is live each day a little better than the last.
Message 25 of 145
latest reply

Yes, your sales will be down as buyers will move elsewhere - it's not worth the hassle and we don't need your merchandise.  We will shop with those who still take PayPal or some other website.  I have personally told 6 sellers that I would have completed a sale with them but without PayPal they lost me - and I am not the only buyer who feels this way.  Complain to ebay but it may be too late.....

My 2 cents. 

Message 26 of 145
latest reply

With eBay's new method of listing practices this year (2019) we have seen sales plunge 70%. We are however also seeing a similar drop at Reverb. As such, the cause of this is hard to determine, as perhaps we are witnessing the beginning of a major economic slowdown. Whatever it is, it's not good.

Message 27 of 145
latest reply

To Be Completely Honest With You and Your Question !!! My Sales Have Been Excellent !! I glanced at your listings and you have some nice items. I see a few watchers for a few items and you know they want you to lower the price and they will probably sell !! You know sometimes it only takes reducing your price by a dollar or two and Sold !! You know that. If you have people interested sell the items and I'm sure you will still make a little money on them !! It's better than not selling them at all ! Sometimes I lose money on sales or break even ! But then BOOM I sell a item that makes up for a few losses and I Make Money !! Take your lumps at times and move on !! Just My Opinion / Good Luck

Message 28 of 145
latest reply

Lots of watchers with no money. You don't really believe the economy's good do you?

Every time there's a fee increase, price hike or a new tax there's less for sellers, whether it be Ebay or Sears. 

Message 29 of 145
latest reply

Jan,Feb,March 2019,were very good months for me,April is looking dismal almost like the plug was pulled,sold number of items is half where it should be for me at this point in the month,this is not an isolated instance,many many sellers are seeing this,something very very strange is going on and GTC is very much a part of it.

None of that Good Luck Selling **bleep** pleeease....

Message 30 of 145
latest reply