cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARE SALES SLOW FOR YOU IN 2019 AFTER EBAY SEPARATED FROM PAYPAL?

What is really going on with the reduced number in sales this 2019? 2017 and 2018 were much better, but after ebay began to charge more fees for promotion listings and other new features and after paypal separated from ebay everything seems to have been going downhill since then. it feels as if ebay is screwing over its sellers with major fees and expects to recover from this. How has 2019 treated you so far?

Message 1 of 145
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: ARE SALES SLOW FOR YOU IN 2019 AFTER EBAY SEPARATED FROM PAYPAL?

If you scroll down through the postings, you will see that you are not alone.  I have been selling on ebay for 15 years now and the first 2 months are the worst.  2018 was also terrible.  There are many theories as to why this is happening but you have to decide what you will do to change things on your end.  Best of luck!

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 145
latest reply
144 REPLIES 144

If you scroll down through the postings, you will see that you are not alone.  I have been selling on ebay for 15 years now and the first 2 months are the worst.  2018 was also terrible.  There are many theories as to why this is happening but you have to decide what you will do to change things on your end.  Best of luck!

Message 2 of 145
latest reply

you do know that ebay / PayPal separated in 2015.

Message 3 of 145
latest reply

Yes, slowest it has ever been for me, and I've sold on ebay on and off since 2003.I did see someone mention they had to scroll past ebay managed fee sellers to find paypal sellers,so that may be part of it.Also someone goes to pay, can't use paypal, and cancels a sale.I won't use managed payment. 

Message 4 of 145
latest reply

Dude - PayPal & eBay got divorced in 2015.  There goes your theory out  the window.

@hollywoodreseller wrote:

What is really going on with the reduced number in sales this 2019? 2017 and 2018 were much better, but after ebay began to charge more fees for promotion listings and other new features and after paypal separated from ebay everything seems to have been going downhill since then. it feels as if ebay is screwing over its sellers with major fees and expects to recover from this. How has 2019 treated you so far?

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 5 of 145
latest reply

i sure do lol. they messed up big time.  I also had a feeling that it was mainly because of that. I did not remember the exact year ebay and paypal separated, but yes sales have gone down since then. 

Message 6 of 145
latest reply

My sales. Vintage stamps and collectibles. 2018 up 21% over 2017

January 2019 up 7% over January 2018
February 2019 up 57% over February 2018

I can't imagine that the average ebay buyer/bidder has a clue as to the divorce between
Ebay and Paypal. Most of them probably have no idea that they were ever married and again probably wouldn't care if you told them.
Message 7 of 145
latest reply

@hollywoodreseller wrote:

FB Groups  Porch PickUp OfferUp LetGo.   Local meetup and cash in hand.

Message 8 of 145
latest reply

" How has 2019 treated you so far?"

------

2019 has been great for me.

I've found that having the right products, at the right prices...

are timeless.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 9 of 145
latest reply

No, sales are slow for me in 2019 because it's after Christmas and we are smack dab in tax season. Happens every time at this part of the year.

Message 10 of 145
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sales are Slower Because, Ebay has a way of running off Sellers,  New rules, Policy changes, Scammer getting away with it, Sellers are paying the price and leaving,  THESE SELLERS ARE OUR BUYERS<

Message 11 of 145
latest reply

I purchased six items today and paid with paypal for each one. Slow sales have nothing to do with the Ebay Paypal split. You'll have to find a better excuse for lack of sales, at least for now, until paypal is completely eliminated.

Message 12 of 145
latest reply

@18704d wrote:

" How has 2019 treated you so far?"

------

2019 has been great for me.

I've found that having the right products, at the right prices...

are timeless.

Lynn

PROVE IT

Message 13 of 145
latest reply

Hello, I just finished my 2018 Federal taxes and for 2 years straight Ebay sales after fees and expenses are in the red, and 2019 is down 64% over last year. I am sick of buyers asking me to do better on my prices, I spend big bucks locating and buying my inventory, this venue used to be profitable but no more. bubba
Message 14 of 145
latest reply

If  you are  bleeding red after two years in a row you have been and are doing some thing wrong not eBay.  Suggest you look real  hard at all your selling costs   and profit /loss margins for each item you have sold - are you  trapping all selling costs;  look at things  like are you selling at  market price or below; do you have enough built in margin to  negotiate with the  "haggler" buyer (if you elect to haggle - you can always say  no to the potential - your call), can you  buy inventory at a lower price?;  look for  other products to sell that would be more profitable; are your shipping/handling charges sufficient?, can you find a less expensive shipper?, can you cover your  tax liabilities?, etc.

We  used to sell 20-30 items/month and we  knew how much $$ we made before the item was  handed off to  USPS.  We don't  sell that much any more but  will  guarantee you if we sell 1  or 30 items we will make a real decent profit.   We will not operate as an ONFPO (Obviously Not For Profit Organization).  We  identify our  bleeding right now.  A simple rule of thumb that we  use when  we  buy stuff to  sell  is  what  every the  item costs is we need to sell it  for at least 5 to  6 times that amount to make our  profit target and then charge extra for shipping/handling - if we  can sell it  for more  than that amount we  certainly will.

Below is a simple  excel spread sheet  example of what we record for our eBay transactions - some information we  also record is not  shown for a valid reason.

CIAO!  DUDE1 

eBay Prof Calc example.jpg

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 15 of 145
latest reply