cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AI-Generated Descriptions has it been helpful?

Hey dedicated eBay sellers,

What are your thoughts on the AI-generated prompts for descriptions? I've found them to be pretty neat, saving me quite a bit of time by efficiently summarizing order details. I've only just started using them into my listings.

Have you noticed an increase in sales or at least some level of increased engagement with your listings? Or do you believe adding detailed descriptions is a waste of time, and I should focus more on posting? Your insights would be invaluable.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: AI-Generated Descriptions has it been helpful?

Hello. I sell rare gemstones, mostly. The AI scripts are not helpful for listing gemstones because they do not know how to incorporate the many details that I include. However, on the few non-gemstone items that I have listed, yes, it seemed to do a pretty good job of adding some oomph to a couple of the descriptions. So, it depends on what you are selling. In any case, just be careful that important details are not lost when using the AI script and that it is not too wordy.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Ai descriptions do not seem to sound "normal" on any level to me. They seem all 1980's greasy haired car salesman. 

I can tell every listing I look at, if the description was AI generated or not. Yes, they save typing, but I do not think they sell product. 

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

I find the AI descriptions very much like that of Time Shares… flowery fluff and not helpful. Often inaccurate and out and out lies sometimes.  Since coming back to online selling, I never use them and would never use them. ..well..I’ve used them maybe once, so let me take that back and I went back and edited all through it.

So there was no point to it. 

I don’t like several things about listing on eBay anymore from where the descriptions get buried to how tiny they are when you’re editing listings and posting it seems like the whole thing is designed to make you fail or make it an easy quick shopping experience for buyers who don’t know what they’re buying which is troubling itself. 

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Yes greasy.  Smarmy comes to mind 

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

@thewhitelephantgifts 

As a BUYER I am interested in:

Size  (appropriate measurements for the product)

Material (plastic, wool, glass, metal, etc.)
Condition (specifically any flaws that make it not mint)

I am really NOT interested in all the fluff and unnecessary drivel spewed out by AI.  No, I am already sure that the wrench will not "bring eternal joy to my entire family" nor "be a guaranteed conversation starter" or be a "must have addition to my wrench collection."  

If I have to read through all that garbage only to find out there is no reference to size, material, and condition, I just get annoyed for having to waste my time. 

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Wao thank you all for commenting! It's very helpful! I think it'd definitely help get the ideas out but it's important for me to go in and give it more of a human touch and edit! 

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Adding detailed descriptions is most certainly not a waste of time, however AI is easily recognizable as the author and tends to paint the seller as lazy or incompetent. Nothing works better than taking the time to write your own descriptions.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

@setyourclockback wrote:

it seems like the whole thing is designed to make it an easy quick shopping experience for buyers who don’t know what they’re buying which is troubling itself. 

Yes it is, I have noticed this as well, all it does is open up the door for returns but the people at ebay don't care about any of that, all they see is SALES SALES SALES... Seems to me, I recall ebay telling us that a return is a negative buying experience and that it must be avoided at all cost so now what they do, is they blame the return on the seller because clearly it is the seller's fault if the buyer must return a product.

Slick, isn't it... Provide "AI" for sellers to use to make their descriptions, then blame the resulting product returns on the seller. By the way, AI isn't the only thing ebay has implemented that in my mind would result in increased product returns and much for the same reason: Facilitating that quick purchase, without giving the buyer a chance to put thought into the action.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

As a seller of mostly used auto parts an AI generated description is absolutely worthless. My buyers want to know what flaws the part has, not be fed a bunch of mindless QVC speak.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

It does not want to use the term "white" for some reason??

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

It adds absolutely nothing that isn't already stated in the listing descriptons. Waste of time. There will never be a buyer that will be on the fence about an item that an AI Generated paragraph will convince them to purchase it. Never. The most ridiculous waste of resources to add this program in. Frankly, it lets me know that a seller is not adding a accurate description of the item and is being lazy. I want to know the items imperfections, not watch an advertisement for it. I already know what I want to buy so why the AI nonsense to win me over? 

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Important thing is you show exact specifications of what the customer is getting or you will get returns from confused customers.   Customers don't want flowery words that mean nothing.

Also want to point out that your Judith Jack Retro necklace is listed as "unbranded".   Having brand name in item specifics is important for search engines.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

I've tried AI on a few of mine but have pretty much quit using it.  I like the simple-get to the point type descriptions much better than all the hype AI spits out.  I always had to edit them and add or take away to it any way.  I saw no difference in sales when using it. 

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

AI isn't holding the item in its hands, isn't smelling it, feeling it.  How can an accurate description be written that way?  A lazy shortcut I will never use is my opinion. 

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 15 of 20
latest reply