cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few words about feedbacks... Again...

Ok. At first, I'd say I'm not new to eBay and selling as well. I've been operating on the market quite long time. Yes, I have had some hiatuses on my "road", but I'm back and ready to sell (already do).

Let’s think together what eBay made the most important feature (or standard) here for the sellers? High-quality service? Reasonable (read: ridiculously low) Prices? Naaah, I'm talking about feedback. What is the first thing except price, you notice as a buyer when you surf all around ebay with the view to buy something? It's a seller's feedback score, the percent of positive feedbacks received, and what’s even more important (based on my own observations) how many negative feedbacks has the seller received. Buyers want their items and want the best service in exchange for the money they pay. Seems fair, isn't it? I’ve read somewhere here a few comments from sellers and all they state: leaving feedback is up to buyer/seller, it's absolutely voluntary. I don't question those statements. Some of sellers ask a rhetorical question: how many of us ever left a "Tell Us What You Think" notes while travelling or how many of us left a word to a restaurant manager with our thought about service and etc. Ok. I have to admit I've done it a couple times and have skipped this "part" much more times. That's what we have on the one hand, but what we have on the other? We all were customers at least once in our life. What do we do when we had a great meal and had spent a few hours listening to a good music while having a dinner in a restaurant? Yes! We leave a tip! That's what the restaurant receives in addition to the paid check. Isn't it the same as feedbacks here, on eBay? We, the sellers, work hard, provide the lowest possible prices, the highest possible service and what do we get in exchange? Buyers pay for item, they might contact you a few times and ask where the f-ing item is now/ or ask you to change the shipping address right after you sent it. Also they can open a few different types of disputes in which you'll probably lose your money. I should say I appreciate and respect those buyers who leave a feedback. But more of them don't...  

I've had 31 orders last 2 months and only FOUR (4)! buyers left their feedbacks for me after I literally almost begged them to did so. I want to ask you what do I do wrong? What should or should not I do to make them leave a feedback? I provide the lowest possible prices for parts I sell, I do answer all the questions as soon as I get them (even if it's a holiday or a day-off), I try to do my best and appease my customers with different kind of Sales I start from time to time, but it's not enough...

How do you treat your customers? What do you usually do to make them leave a positive feedback for you?

P.S. Sorry, I got emotional while writing my thought, but I'm sick and tired of "dancing" around buyers with no effect from these dances.

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: A few words about feedbacks... Again...

@luxe_auto_parts

@luxe_auto_parts wrote:
I agree with you mostly, but you can actually dig some information reading buyers feedback. Some of the sellers leave their feedback and if something went wrong they comment it after. And you can read what a buyer thinks about sellers he bought from. I've seen a lot of buyers with a negative attitude. They have left dozens and dozens of neutral and negative feedback w/o reason. I would recommend all be aware of that type of buyers.

With BIN we never know who our buyers are until after the sale.

I get around 1/3 rd or less from my buyers, but it is all good ie "superfast shipping"

We all know there are bad buyers out there, That is where best offer comes in.

It gives you a chance to check the buyer out.  ( But I never do )

But then again, I sell to fly boys, and we have a code of honor.

I leave FB for all my buyers,

But I could not give two hoots if they leave it for me.

I am here for the money, not a pat on the head.

Message 46 of 55
latest reply

@luxe_auto_parts

@luxe_auto_parts wrote:
It's sad, you know. I mean you could be a mediocre, and still get your money and orders and don't have any complains, but at the same time you could be a very good thoughtful seller & again don't hear a word from your customers. I know a lot of people, who do their job poorly, but still get paid and think they are the best. You could find a lot of references outside of eBay. How often you really satisfied with a service? I would say less than 50%, but we taught to be humble and quite and we'd rather be silent than start complaining about something we didn't like.

Less than 50%... Dude  that is sad.

In my 58 years on this planet, I have never been ripped off once.

Wedding vows, well she did lie about that, But I moved on, and found better.

But FB is just like saying... have a nice day... It won't make or break you.

Message 47 of 55
latest reply

"How do you treat your customers? What do you usually do to make them leave a positive feedback for you? "

The only thing I do which causes more of my customers to leave feedback is to do things that customers like.

OTHER SELLERS  help me get the most feedback from my customers.   I suppose everyone knows that if other sellers did not leave feedback, the percent of buyers who leave feedback would be much lower than it is.

Message 48 of 55
latest reply

@luxe_auto_parts wrote:
That's why I came here - to ask what you guys do to get your FB? I saw some of sellers have proposed to buyers some kind of discount if they leave a feedback. I wanted to hear if it's actually working.

I didn't want to extol myself, I just wanted the answers, which aren't exist as far as I could see.

Where did you see such a thing? Nobody here said anything about "discounts for feedback" 😞

Besides being a policy violation (on two separate policies - links at end), how would you even go about offering this bribe to your buyers? 

I find the idea to be even worse than begging for feedback. It's just somehow very slimy ... and it reeks with the idea that buyers should be paid off for any tiny thing.

Partial refunds are epidemic to begin with ... what sort of message does "discounts for feedback" send?

Feedback Manipultion Policy

https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-manipulation.html

Not Allowed: Offering to sell, buy, barter, or give away Feedback

Feedback Extortion Policy

https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html

Sellers:

The seller can't require a buyer to leave positive Feedback, specific detailed seller ratings, or revise existing Feedback in exchange for a number of things, including, but not limited to:

• Receiving the purchased item

• Issuing a full or partial refund

• Monetary compensation

• Additional items

• Other goods and services not included in the original listing

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 49 of 55
latest reply

@luxe_auto_parts wrote:
That's why I came here - to ask what you guys do to get your FB? I saw some of sellers have proposed to buyers some kind of discount if they leave a feedback. I wanted to hear if it's actually working.

I didn't want to extol myself, I just wanted the answers, which aren't exist as far as I could see.

Like I said, feedback is rather meaningless and this just supports that.

Message 50 of 55
latest reply

Agree with "nobody said", but I personally have seen a few sellers in my niche. I won't provide you links since it's forbidden to even propose these things to customers. Didn't know about that, though. Thanks for explanation.
In addition I'd like to say that I wouldn't consider a discount as a bribe. It seems like a motivation for lazy/busy/"I don't care"/etc. (choose yours). I can't understand how asking for a feedback could be illegal or forbidden. If you asking some buyers to make fake purchases it's another - it must be banned and forbidden, but when you ask actual customers for a feedback it doesn't seem like something illegal for me.
Message 51 of 55
latest reply

Hopefully you're not convinced that there is a silver bullet for getting feedback.
Feedback is identical to Promoted Listings...
With PL, there is no way to measure WHY your item was bought.
With FB, you have no idea WHY someone left it...or not.
You can't make money yesterday...or fret about FB not received.
Message 52 of 55
latest reply

According to a message I got, other things--like prompt response to questions--ALSO count in the evaluation. Also getting the item out within a 24-hour period, if that's what one has on their shipping promises--forgot the wording they use for this, so I'm using 'promises'.
Message 53 of 55
latest reply

I haven't had a prob with leaving feedback to sellers either. Maybe it's a glitch in that particular person's system (?)
Message 54 of 55
latest reply

@luxe_auto_parts wrote:
Agree with "nobody said", but I personally have seen a few sellers in my niche. I won't provide you links since it's forbidden to even propose these things to customers. Didn't know about that, though. Thanks for explanation.
In addition I'd like to say that I wouldn't consider a discount as a bribe. It seems like a motivation for lazy/busy/"I don't care"/etc. (choose yours). I can't understand how asking for a feedback could be illegal or forbidden. If you asking some buyers to make fake purchases it's another - it must be banned and forbidden, but when you ask actual customers for a feedback it doesn't seem like something illegal for me.

Luxe ... I think that you are worrying too much about this.

If you aren't getting BAD feedback, then there is no need to worry about how much GOOD feedback you are getting.

Your 20K feedback as a seller is enough reputation ... what more are you wanting?

Underpromise and Overdeliver.

Conduct all communication with a friendly, courteous and professional attitude.

Sell items that are accurately described, at a fair price. Take good photos of all angles of the item. Include all measurements (and fitment info, for you parts sellers) Ship quickly and safely.

That is really all we can do as sellers.

If we are doing those things and our DASHBOARD is in good shape, then getting feedback from our buyers doesn't matter.  If you get a green donut, great. As long as you aren't getting complaints, stop pushing.

As far as asking for feedback, I suggest you read the feedback manipulation policy again.

You aren't selling feedback. You are selling widgets.

As for not being a bribe or extortion ...

If even ONE seller starts to "incentivize" feedback ... buyers are going to expect it from ALL sellers.  What happens then???

And what integrity is there in paying for feedback. All that does is leave the seller willing to pay the most with the most feedback. 😞

I reserve discounts for military addresses, multiple item purchases and repeat buyers. I want to reward my good PAYING customers and keep them coming back. I could care less if they left me feedback or not.

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 55 of 55
latest reply