cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the decision to retire from here

For any others roughly my age (mid 50s) who anticipate retiring in a decade, have you thought about whether you want to keep plugging along here for that long? I've been making roughly the same income for years (combined ebay and Amazon) but it feels like more and more work just to stay the same. More listings all the time. If this trend continues I will have to find anough inventory to have a much larger store, and it's not at all a given that I will be able to source that much. 

I suppose the day will come when I just can't find enough inventory to make sales, or my back gives out (I sell books and they are heavy). My goal of years past was to ramp up the business once the kids left home, but that hasn't happened in the sense of many more sales. Smiley Indifferent  Amazon is somewhat better in the equation of list more=sell more.  But ebay has always been an important supplement to my sales there.

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Isn't that when people kick it into high gear here?  When they don't work an outside job?  People tend to start selling other things from around the house, lighter, smaller, easier to handle.  More unique, less like what everybody else sells.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 55
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

For any others roughly my age (mid 50s) who anticipate retiring in a decade, have you thought about whether you want to keep plugging along here for that long? I've been making roughly the same income for years (combined ebay and Amazon) but it feels like more and more work just to stay the same. More listings all the time. If this trend continues I will have to find anough inventory to have a much larger store, and it's not at all a given that I will be able to source that much. 

I suppose the day will come when I just can't find enough inventory to make sales, or my back gives out (I sell books and they are heavy). My goal of years past was to ramp up the business once the kids left home, but that hasn't happened in the sense of many more sales. Smiley Indifferent  Amazon is somewhat better in the equation of list more=sell more.  But ebay has always been an important supplement to my sales there.

I'm already retired...although disability made it a touch earlier than I would have liked. My husband still teaches, so I like doing this during the day. When he retires I may think of it....but I do like doing this. It will be a hard call. It's very convenient for me.

Message 3 of 55
latest reply

I'm 69 and still doing it.

Selling here for 14 years now and 2 websites for 10 years.

One thing I have noticed is I have to work a lot harder and list a lot more for less sales than even 5 years ago.

Message 4 of 55
latest reply

I'm planning to keep ebaying after I retire from my regular job. I enjoy it and I think I might be bored after I retire, so this will give me something to do, plus make a few bucks. I plan to travel when I retire too, so I think I can just list more when I'm not travelling and list less when I am planning trips. If it gets to be too much, I can always decide to take a break or quit.

Message 5 of 55
latest reply

My husband wants to retire at 62 because he wants to travel. I would not mind a few trips but otherwise I can't see filling my day  with just reading, movies, volunteering.  Plus my job means a lot to me. I am expecting the long phase-out (deal in fewer books with higher prices) but these days it's so much work to keep in place that I wonder when I'll just give up here.

Message 6 of 55
latest reply

@keziak

I am selling my stuff, so I don't leave a mess behind.

This is not my job, just a way to clean out the garage.

When the car will fit back in, my selling will be done.

And when I can fit my stuff in a back pack... the monkey will be gone...

Message 7 of 55
latest reply

I am in the opposite end of the problem.  I have a lot of inventory and can keep listing for the next hundred years.  But it is mostly on another site, but I keep ebay around to suppliment my income.

And listing and selling on ebayis as easy today as it was 5 years ago.  I keep my listings simple, and do not fall for ebay' suggestions and reccomendations, I do not jump through ebay's hoops, and I do not pay ebay for extras,  so when ebay makes changes, they rarely effect me or my listings.  That is a real timesaver right there.

ebay has been a reasonably steady income and as long as it stays that way, I see no reason to change or leave.

(*Bleep*)
Message 8 of 55
latest reply

I agree that the problem lies not in difficulty of listing. It's the acquisition of fresh inventory and time spent listing and grooming inventory.  I also have a constraint on space though this year my family helped me bring new bookcases into the house and that has so far taken the pressure off. But if the day comes I need to have an inventory of hundreds of more books just to hold my income steady, well, that's going to be a problem. 

If I retired I could actually READ more books! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 55
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

I agree that the problem lies not in difficulty of listing. It's the acquisition of fresh inventory and time spent listing and grooming inventory.  I also have a constraint on space though this year my family helped me bring new bookcases into the house and that has so far taken the pressure off. But if the day comes I need to have an inventory of hundreds of more books just to hold my income steady, well, that's going to be a problem. 

If I retired I could actually READ more books! Smiley Happy

For me the big issues will be hubby retiring. He doesn't really have any hobbies except cutting the grass....lol. He's not too crazy when he's off during the week and I'm doing  a regular 9 - 5 on here. Spoilt little man. 

Message 10 of 55
latest reply

@keziak wrote:

If I retired I could actually READ more books!

Reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode 'Time Enough At Last' with Burgess Meridith.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 11 of 55
latest reply

that would totally be me after the last of my contacts ran out.  Smiley Wink  Though I wouldn't just stack books on the ground for them to be rained on.

Message 12 of 55
latest reply

Consider adding other products to the mix. Consider small, lightweight items such as postcards (new or used), cook booklets and regional or ethnic items.

Souvenir items that are both useful and decorative and evoke a "remember when" feeling seem to sell easily. Postcards, key chains, shot glasses, cosmetic bags, lanyards, pin-back buttons, calendars, maps . . . all plentiful!

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 13 of 55
latest reply

A much younger friend has suggested that. He sells anything he gets his hands on. I just do not know the world of "stuff" though (my word for things that aren't media).

Message 14 of 55
latest reply

@keziak

I know the feeling. I sold books, mostly on Amazon for years. I never could really sell here because the price was about 1/2 what I could get on the big A. I had about 20,000 listings and the sales were steady but the average price slowly declined until it was about $8.00 per sale. That takes a lot of work to make an income. I left my Amazon inventory sit and the sales trickled in for 2 more years without listing any more books. 

I shifted over here to other items and never looked back. I can do $3500-4000 in sales a month with about half the work. I can get some bigger priced sales more consistently. I finally lost my data base and have over 15,000 books left. You are fighting against a strong wind. This may be the tail end but I don't know if books will ever come back strong. I felt like I was beating my head against the wall. 

Now I concentrate on only buying books that will sell here. I have even been able to walk past them, but it is in the blood.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 15 of 55
latest reply