cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

14kt gold sales not paid for.

In the last few weeks, I've listed a couple of 14kt gold necklaces.  The first was for $1895.  It sold, only for me to receive a message from e-bay stating that they buyer said that their account was used fraudulently, and they did not intend on buying it.  Then, another necklace ($140) sold, but the buyer has not paid for it (it's been a week).  Is anyone else having problems with their jewelry sales like this?  It's very unusual for me -- we're a non-profit thrift store, and sell a few items a month on e-bay.  This happening to 2 nice pieces of jewelry just seems odd.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: 14kt gold sales not paid for.

I don't sell jewelry, but I think this is probably just coincidence.   Sometimes you'll get a run of a certain kind of issue; it just happens.

If ebay let you know the first buyer wasn't going to complete the sale, you certainly can relist the item and try again.

With the second one, though, you need to open an unpaid item case immediately, if you haven't already. You can open one 48 hours after the sale was made if you have not received payment. Sometimes having ebay send the buyer notice of the case is all it takes for the buyer to pay up, but if they don't pay for four more days after you opened the case, you can close it, get a refund of your ebay fee and relist the item if you like.

I'm guessing this sale was a "best offer," rather than a straightforward BIN case.  You can set your BIN items to require immediate payment, and I'd recommend doing that if you haven't.   But when you accept an offer or put an item up for auction instead, it's easier for a buyer to delay payment. You might want to consider setting up your account so ebay will automatically open an unpaid item case for you in such situations.

Good luck with the rest of your selling!

Susan

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: 14kt gold sales not paid for.

It is not that it is jewelry per se, but it is a high value item.

Scammers will  scam in every category trying to get valuable items for free.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply