cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About Returns/Refunds.

Hi all, I have a situation on my hands which is getting quite confusing, and was hoping that someone with similar experience would be able to shed some light and perhaps give me some advice!

I sold my old embroidery/sewing machine on eBay. The listing as well as the messages between myself and the buyer explicitly stated any issues or malfunctions which the machine had, and an understanding was created before the sale was made.

In this particular case, the buyer mentioned that they already had one of the exact same models of machine in their possession. Upon receiving the package, the buyer has complained about several things, all of which I have been able to explain to them, and resolve, however, the complaint continues to change. At this point, the buyer is claiming that they are taking the machine to a dealer who is going to perform "repair work" on the machine, and that if it costs over a certain amount, they will be receiving their money back from me.

Is this okay for a buyer to do? How am I, as a seller, supposed to know whether or not the buyer is going to swap the machines out and send me their broken one? How do I know that parts aren't being taken out of my machine and installed into theirs? Once the sale is made, how is it my responsibility if the buyer decides to take the machine in for work that was NOT needed when in my possession?

All functions that are being complained about on the buyer's side are things that specifically were not an issue when the machine was in my possession. There was a part which the buyer claimed was missing from the package, which I have already replaced out of my own pocket and is en route to the buyer now.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the lengthy post! The feeling of being bamboozled or being a victim of the old switcheroo is a stressful one!

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

KEEP those messages!! Do all your messaging thru eBay and save them! 

If buyer can't return in the same condition- they can't return. 

If they try to file a case, use those messages to your best advantage. Post back here for help.

There are amazing people that will assist you if you end up with a case from the PITA buyer.. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

@pikabo-icu wrote:

If they try to file a case, use those messages to your best advantage. Post back here for help.

There are amazing people that will assist you if you end up with a case from the PITA buyer.. 

^^THIS

If the buyer has any work done on it, she cannot return it.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 29
latest reply

@pikabo-icu wrote:

All of what PIKA said

Also, what was your (OP) return policy?

I'm not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV

Blink Blink
Message 4 of 29
latest reply

Thanks for all of the replies everyone! I am keeping all of the messages and taking screenshots as backup..

On this specific listing, there was a NO RETURNS ACCEPTED policy stated in the item description as well as embedded in the listing itself.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

Give this buyer enough rope to hang themselves.  I wouldn't encourage the buyer to get the item repaired, but I certainly wouldn't discourage it either.  DO NOT tell them that if they get it repaired that you will pay for it or you won't pay for it.  DO NOT tell them that if they get it repaired that they cannot return it.

The reason I asked about the return policy is that having a no returns policy on this item actually works in your favor.  You disclosed the condition and the buyer decided to buy it anyway.  If they open a SNAD, you may be able to get it closed down that way.  If they get it repaired, you absolutely can.

Blink Blink
Message 6 of 29
latest reply

@pinupsplus wrote:

Give this buyer enough rope to hang themselves.  I wouldn't encourage the buyer to get the item repaired, but I certainly wouldn't discourage it either.  DO NOT tell them that if they get it repaired that you will pay for it or you won't pay for it.  DO NOT tell them that if they get it repaired that they cannot return it.

The reason I asked about the return policy is that having a no returns policy on this item actually works in your favor.  You disclosed the condition and the buyer decided to buy it anyway.  If they open a SNAD, you may be able to get it closed down that way.  If they get it repaired, you absolutely can.

@madebyrealhumans

However, if they do get it repaired, ask them to send you a picture of the receipt from the dealer who repaired it. Keep that email so you can prove it is no longer in the condition you sent it to them in.

No return if repaired after all.

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

I had a feeling it would be best to not say anything about the repairs to the buyer. At least not yet. They have already mentioned in a message that the machine was opened/tampered with, as they claim a gear needs to be replaced. The item would need to be taken apart for that to even be known.

Thanks for the information!

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

Will do. Thank you so much for the post!

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

@a*river*runs*through*it wrote:

@pinupsplus wrote:

@madebyrealhumans

However, if they do get it repaired, ask them to send you a picture of the receipt from the dealer who repaired it. Keep that email so you can prove it is no longer in the condition you sent it to them in.

No return if repaired after all.

Good idea, but I don't think that's necessary... I think their word will do.  When someone contacts me and tells me they ripped my waterslide decal because they didn't dip it in water and tried pulling it off instead, I never ask them for a picture or proof.  If they open a SNAD or a return, I just call up Peggy and ask her to read the messages and she immediately closes the case in my favor.  The BUYER said it isn't in the same condition as I sent it in.

Blink Blink
Message 10 of 29
latest reply

@bubs-books wrote:

I had a feeling it would be best to not say anything about the repairs to the buyer. At least not yet. They have already mentioned in a message that the machine was opened/tampered with, as they claim a gear needs to be replaced. The item would need to be taken apart for that to even be known.

Thanks for the information!

You may already have enough

Blink Blink
Message 11 of 29
latest reply

Hi all, I have a little update today:

The buyer has messaged me stating that their dealer will be charging too much money for them to keep the item. They state that they have already paid for a diagnostic, which, as I mentioned before, ended up with the buyer finding that parts needed to be replaced, which proves that the item has been tampered with.

In addition to being "altered", the item has been used as well. It has been manipulated and tested with various results. The power cable which was mailed with the item has been misplaced, likely by the buyer, which is now missing from the lot. I have also purchased and mailed them a new power cable free of charge.

My question: Should I message the buyer back and explain this all to them? Or would it be better to wait out the return period without selecting one of the "refund full amount" or "partial refund" buttons in eBay's messaging? Should I place a call to eBay and explain the situation, or will it be handled when the return process expires?

The buyer has claimed that they will be packing and returning the item to me on Monday and expects a full refund and for me to pay for the shipping. (Which I alread paid out-of-pocket when sending the item in the first place).

Thanks again guys!

EDIT: This is OP posting from my seller account.

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

I would probably call eBay and ask them to close the return in my favor since the item is no longer in the same condition it was sent in.

Blink Blink
Message 13 of 29
latest reply

@far-out-oddities wrote:

Hi all, I have a little update today:

The buyer has messaged me stating that their dealer will be charging too much money for them to keep the item. They state that they have already paid for a diagnostic, which, as I mentioned before, ended up with the buyer finding that parts needed to be replaced, which proves that the item has been tampered with.

In addition to being "altered", the item has been used as well. It has been manipulated and tested with various results. The power cable which was mailed with the item has been misplaced, likely by the buyer, which is now missing from the lot. I have also purchased and mailed them a new power cable free of charge.

My question: Should I message the buyer back and explain this all to them? Or would it be better to wait out the return period without selecting one of the "refund full amount" or "partial refund" buttons in eBay's messaging? Should I place a call to eBay and explain the situation, or will it be handled when the return process expires?

The buyer has claimed that they will be packing and returning the item to me on Monday and expects a full refund and for me to pay for the shipping. (Which I alread paid out-of-pocket when sending the item in the first place).

Thanks again guys!

EDIT: This is OP posting from my seller account.

In this particular case, the buyer mentioned that they already had one of the exact same models of machine in their possession. 

Gee - I wonder which one you would get back ....

You needed to list this as "for parts not working" and you didn't. That would have helped cover you. 

This is why I do not sell heavy items with moving parts on ebay. The cost of shipping both ways for the filed snad is just not worth the risk. 

This buyer is using you in every way they can think up. First the power supply is missing? I don't think so, they just needed another one for their other machine. I sure hope you get back the machine you sold, but I doubt it, not without parts missing. 

Hope you win your case. 

Message 15 of 29
latest reply