cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So-called "Free Returns"

I recently bought an item for $67, it got lost in the post office or something because the tracking never updated for almost 5 days.  I eventually got it almost a week after the expected date, after I had already bought it locally since I needed the car fixed before my trip.

Anyway, I request a return since I have no use for it anymore, and seller charges me $51+ for shipping! I didn't even realize it, just printed the label and sent it back and today I see that my total refund was $12 and some change after they deduct shipping.

Package was the equivalent of a medium sized priority flat rate box and less than 5lbs.  No way it cost that much to ship, this is clearly a scam to avoid refunding customers for their purchases.  Worst part is I have no way to contact ebay, no recourse for any further action at all!  USPS shipping would have cost me about $15 if I just used my own shipping label.

No idea who to contact since ebay has completely given up on any form of customer service.  At the very least I hope this helps someone else thinking of returning an item, or better yet, think twice before buying from sellers like this - "free returns" aren't free if you have to pay for the shipping; worse if the seller determines how much it costs to ship it.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: So-called "Free Returns"

Free returns are for items the seller pays to ship back are for not as described, damaged or defective. 
Remorse returns are paid for by the buyer. The reason you chose for return was obviously a remorse reason so you paid to return the item. Case closed. There’s nothing for you to contact eBay about. Sorry.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

@ebooksdiva wrote:

Free returns are for items the seller pays to ship back are for not as described, damaged or defective. 
Remorse returns are paid for by the buyer. The reason you chose for return was obviously a remorse reason so you paid to return the item. Case closed. There’s nothing for you to contact eBay about. Sorry.

That's not correct. If a seller has 'free returns' then the seller pays the return shipping label REGARDLESS of the reason used for the return. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

What option did you choose for the reason for the return?

Have a great day
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

5# package shipping cross country is $24.97  (online rate)

#4  package shipping cross country is $21.60  (online rate)

Looks like the seller kept the shipping charge in both directions. (and maybe more)

Should be a spot there on the refund message to appeal the refund amount with eBay.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@eluvbud Free Returns are ONLY when a seller features that. 

Top Rated Sellers can deduct up to 50% of the Selling price as well as NOT refund ANY Of the Shipping $ paid; but they are supposed to ONLY use this when the item returned is in "much less than condition" where they now cannot sell it for the same anymore.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Sorry but why should the seller eat the shipping fee on this because you were not patient enough to wait.  The one thing that I will never buy here is a car part because I will need it fast and when you need something fast, of course , that is the item that takes the scenic route.  You needed to be patient for your item to arrive.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Please keep in mind that the post office handles millions of items.  NOt everything gets updated every day.  AN item that is from NY to California might be on a truck for 5 -6 days after it leaves NY. It won't get scanned until it reaches the west coast. You need to be patient when buying online.  Note where the seller is located too.  Ground Advantage and Media mail can be awfully slow. I pity the folks in Hawaii and Alaska who are waiting for their car parts from a seller on the East coast.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@eluvbud wrote:

Maybe package didn't arrive on time.  I've had packages show up long after I ordered a replacement on Amazon or picked up something else locally.  eBay doesn't offer an option for such an incident, so buyer may be forced to use the only option available to avoid shipping cost.  I've tried the "honest" method, and seller charged over $50 for return shipping on a $60 item. 

Actually eBay does offer an option for such an incident @eluvbud and you'd use the "honest" method for your full refund. 

nh7235_0-1689214191432.png

But this time, give the seller one more chance to do the right thing and file another return request here if that's how you paid. Upload a screenshot of the eBay case, which PayPal asks to show you've tried eBay already, and dispute the missing portion of your refund. When you're told to return the item, upload the returned tracking number to get your refund.

Otherwise file a CREDIT NOT PROCESSED chargeback with your card issuer, to get the rest of your refund.

Why Would a Customer File a Chargeback With Reason Code “Credit Not Processed?”
“Credit Not Processed” chargebacks are filed by customers who have returned their purchase but did not receive a refund from the merchant.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

1 :  buyers can always have free return shipping label by opening false snad or not as describe case, it does not matter seller offer free return or not, buyer account can reported if 3 sellers report same buyer for same kind of activity  as result buyer account can be suspended or limited.

2 : top rated seller or sellers who offer free returns can deduct up to 50% if buyer abuse the return process but buyer can appeal to ebay to get full refund if case is legit decided by ebay cs.

3 : seller pay shipping cost for shipping item and pay for return, this is most of buyers do not understand and if they open false snad then seller deduct money from buyers.

4 : if sellers do not offer free return then buyer has to pay return shipping cost for remorse return reasons . 

Good luck

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

How do you not know free returns covers buyer remorse with your feedback.

I'm honestly confused.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Because that is what free returns means. It means Seller is offering to pay for buyer remorse.

If the seller doesn't want to pay for buyer remorse then they shouldn't advertise it, and change their return policy to 'buyer pays'.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: