cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If buyer does not return item what do I do and when do I do it?

The buyer has two days remaining to return the item.  She has not answered 3 emails I sent - 1)  did you receive the return label from eBay?  2)  Let me know if you did not receive the return label, and I can send one or I will reimburse you for one you buy.   3)  If you are having trouble returning the ring, please call me at #.  I can help you.       Her complaint of "does not look authentic" is ridiculous in my opinion, but I immediately approved a return and purchased a return label for her through eBay.  Since she has not mailed the ring after 21 days does not answer messages, I am wondering if she is acting in good faith.  I read stories about scam buyers keeping the item and getting a full refund by hook or crook.  IF she has not mailed the ring on the last day in her allowed window, what do I do the following day?  Report Buyer?  Dispute case?    What?  I read that eBay will take some action if she has not mailed the item before this late in the window, but I see no action taken.  I read also eBay will not close a case because a seller requests it, even if the item has not been returned.  I read eBay MAY close the case if the buyer does not return the item in the allowed time.  I see no way to ask for their advice and express my concern.   All the "seller protection" policies are to do with feedback and demerit corrections or such flimsy things - nothing to do with protecting my money and getting my ring returned.  What do I do on the day after her window closes if she has not mailed the ring?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: If buyer does not return item what do I do and when do I do it?

Do not worry about this. Some folks just hate to go to the PO and return something so they wait and wait. You have their money. They do not get that back till they return the item. 

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

Thanks, you are right.  To me it seems an unreasonably long time for a return window.  That could put one in a mode of "no hurries" and by the time one thinks about it again, the deadline could have passed.  

Message 17 of 29
latest reply

Thanks to everyone for responding.  I feel destressed now.

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

They give buyers a really long time frame for returns and really long with the Covid issues still looming. You never really know why the buyer has waited for a long time. May be they are really busy, etc etc. You do not want any other type of case opened up if a return was denied in any way shape or form here. So, just wait it out.

Message 19 of 29
latest reply

@vendere-mundi wrote:

Thanks, you are right.  To me it seems an unreasonably long time for a return window.  That could put one in a mode of "no hurries" and by the time one thinks about it again, the deadline could have passed.  

@vendere-mundi 

It feels like buyers get 'Forever + 1 Day' to return something. As long as eBay sees package movement, no hurries. 😖

Message 20 of 29
latest reply

UPDATE:  On the last day the Buyer had to return the item, eBay closed the case and released my payout.  If the Buyer used a label other than the one eBay sent, and I subsequently receive the item, the Buyer can ask eBay to "step in and assist."  I don't know what happens if the Buyer returns the item after the allowed window.  All the answers of "you do nothing" that I received are correct.  Thanks again everyone.

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

@vendere-mundi 

Yippee! As to ,"you do nothing"... isn't it rather 'freeing' ? 🤗 I'm a big fan of slow-walking, especially when required. 😁

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

@vendere-mundi wrote:

Thank you!  The answer "you do nothing" is being repeated, but I read there is no way for a seller to close a return request.   "Returns cannot be closed at the request of a seller."

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115#:~:t....

Right, you can't have the case closed any more.

Nothing you can do until they decide to close the case, so just sit back and wait.

Have a great day
Message 23 of 29
latest reply

pe4588
Rising Star

Refund

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

On the last day the Buyer was to return the item, in the early morning hours, eBay closed the case and released my payment because they saw no indication the Buyer had used the label they provided.  If the Buyer used her own label, she can ask eBay to "step in."    Thanks to everyone again.

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

If your Buyer has a dispute and Ebay gives them the guaranteed refund, is the Buyer supposed to send the item back to the Seller?  

Seems like that could be a total win for the Buyer to have the product without paying for it?

Please reply.  Thank you for being there.  Margie

Message 26 of 29
latest reply

The Buyer has to return the item before you grant a refund.  In my case, I paid for the shipping label for the return.  When it was not returned, eBay closed the case on the last day of the return window.  I never heard from the Buyer and there were no more issues.  eBay acted without my requesting an intervention.  I don't know under what circumstance eBay would issue a refund without your approval.  If I read it correctly and if the policy has not changed, if you request eBay to intervene, and if they then "find for the" Buyer, they would issue the refund whether the item is returned or not.  It is best to wait out the window for the return.  Then if the item is not returned, and eBay does not automatically close the dispute, you can ask them to do so.  Never approve the refund yourself until you receive the item.

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

I had someone send me a message saying "my daughter ordered this without my permission," and wanted to return it.  I approved the return, but I guess they made up, because they never sent it back and the refund was never deducted from my account.  I may be wrong, but I don't think eBay will issue a refund until they upload a tracking number/the label has been scanned by shipper, showing it has been shipped back.  I hope everything turns out ok!

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 29 of 29
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: