cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If buyer does not return item what do I do and when do I do it?

The buyer has two days remaining to return the item.  She has not answered 3 emails I sent - 1)  did you receive the return label from eBay?  2)  Let me know if you did not receive the return label, and I can send one or I will reimburse you for one you buy.   3)  If you are having trouble returning the ring, please call me at #.  I can help you.       Her complaint of "does not look authentic" is ridiculous in my opinion, but I immediately approved a return and purchased a return label for her through eBay.  Since she has not mailed the ring after 21 days does not answer messages, I am wondering if she is acting in good faith.  I read stories about scam buyers keeping the item and getting a full refund by hook or crook.  IF she has not mailed the ring on the last day in her allowed window, what do I do the following day?  Report Buyer?  Dispute case?    What?  I read that eBay will take some action if she has not mailed the item before this late in the window, but I see no action taken.  I read also eBay will not close a case because a seller requests it, even if the item has not been returned.  I read eBay MAY close the case if the buyer does not return the item in the allowed time.  I see no way to ask for their advice and express my concern.   All the "seller protection" policies are to do with feedback and demerit corrections or such flimsy things - nothing to do with protecting my money and getting my ring returned.  What do I do on the day after her window closes if she has not mailed the ring?

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

in this kind of situation the only thing you can do as a good seller is to wait it out

time is on your side with a slow return..I would not even try to decipher the timeline

there are many timelines for returns and they serve no purpose other than to confuse sellers, they are merely a guide

you are correct that we were told to not contact ebay about it

it woud be better if you stopped all contact with the buyer............somewhere between 40-60 days you can expect something to happen with ebay and the return

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

STOP contacting the buyer!  Just stop.  

If the buyer never sends it back, you win.  You do nothing, you wait for the complaint to time out.  When the time to mail it back has expired, go into the claim and close it (you might need ebay to close it, it's been a while for my last claim).  You keep the money from the sale and the buyer keeps the item they purchased.  Exactly the same as when they originally bought the item.

Just stop contacting the buyer.  Worry about what happens next after. 

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

This same exact scenario happened to me past January,

When Buyer wouldn't ship the item back, at the end, the screen went, 'have eBay step in',

I clicked on that and on comment section, I wrote, I haven't received the item back, the return should have closed in 24 hours, mine didn't, so I had to call it in. eBay rep didn't know anything, so she left a note on my return with High Value Item team, founds were released in 24 hours ... 

I think,  in short, if tracking wouldn't show acceptance then return closes and founds be released 

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

in this kind of situation the only thing you can do as a good seller is to wait it out

time is on your side with a slow return..I would not even try to decipher the timeline

there are many timelines for returns and they serve no purpose other than to confuse sellers, they are merely a guide

you are correct that we were told to not contact ebay about it

it woud be better if you stopped all contact with the buyer............somewhere between 40-60 days you can expect something to happen with ebay and the return

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 4 of 29
latest reply

One more thing,

It seems, you keep reading your return details, I do that a lot myself, be very careful not to close your return. If you do, Buyer will be keeping the item

You have only few days left, leave it be, don't look and don't read it anymore. Wait for notifications from eBay for your the next step  

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

I don't even see the option to close the Return.  I see the option to Refund.  I keep searching for instructions on what to do in case the buyer does not mail the item.  What I am expecting to happen - the buyer files a dispute on her credit card for the payment.

The only thing I have found so far that I could do on the day following the Buyer's "window to return the item"  is "Report Buyer" under the "Leave Feedback" option.   I don't know what the ramifications of that would be.  It does appear if I ask eBay to intervene and they decide for the Buyer, I even lose my entire fee, which is substantial to me, plus paying for two shipping labels.

As for eBay taking any automatic action, I have some doubts based on what I read in Sellers' comments, and based on the eBay policies that state "eBay MAY blah blah blah" - such as "close the case."  I would love to read "eBay WILL close the case if Buyer does not return the item within the designated time and there is no reasonable justification blah blah."   It bothers me that the buyer can still get a refund even if the item is returned damaged - or if the Buyer returns an empty envelope or package.  I feel very vulnerable.  Very unprotected, ha.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

>>>>>>NO NO NO don't even go close to option to Refund<<<<<

Once window is closed, meaning; time is elapsed for Buyer to return, you'll be notified.

I wouldn't do any of "Report Buyer" or "Leave Feedback" ... don't make an enemy

It's simple. You sent a label and you're waiting for the item to come back. So, you need to wait 

You haven't got the item back, so don't worry about the item's condition, just yet!

I totaly understand you, but this is the wait time for you. It will be a short wait 

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

If you have a store, go to "Seller's Hub", watch the line on upper right hand side saying:

"Tasks Pending" if that goes red, you take an action, Okay!? Otherwise, wait 

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

It's not uncommon for buyers to never get around to returning items. As stated, that is in your favor.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

Hi @vendere-mundi,

All you have to do is wait for the time limit to time out! The buyer keeps the item and you keep their payment, then the return closes.  Simple. You can choose to refund the buyer their money and they keep your item, which you DO NOT want to do. You’re on the right track. 

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

Thank you!  The answer "you do nothing" is being repeated, but I read there is no way for a seller to close a return request.   "Returns cannot be closed at the request of a seller."

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115#:~:t....

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

Thank you!  I will watch for the "have eBay step in" option, although I am leery of doing that - if for some reason the case was eventually decided for the Buyer, I would lose the fee.  I'm happy to hear you received your money!

I find the following confusing.  Just an aside comment on how long the Buyer has to return the item.  If I were the Buyer and had been told I had 20+ days to return the item, I would be shocked to have my case closed after 15 days.  Anyway, they did not do that, even though it is stated as policy - one of those "may" take action policies.

How long a buyer has to ship the return:

Once the return is accepted, we'll provide the buyer with a date by which they should ship the item back to you. After 15 business days, if we don't see any indicators that the item is on its way back to you, we may close the return and protect you from negative feedback. Some returns may remain open for up to 35 business days. Returns cannot be closed at the request of a seller.

• eBay or seller-provided labels: If an eBay label was automatically provided or you provide non-eBay return labels and upload tracking, we may close the return if we don't see tracking scans or signals from the buyer showing the item was shipped within 15 business days of when the label was provided. If tracking is not uploaded, we may wait up to 35 business days before closing the return
  • No label provided: If the buyer is responsible for return shipping, we may close the return if we don't see tracking scans or signals showing the item was shipped within 15 business days of the return being accepted. If you are responsible for providing return shipping and do not upload a label, we may wait up to 35 business days from the date the return was accepted before closing the return.
Message 12 of 29
latest reply

I do hope it does not take that long, but it seems you are right - all I can do is wait it out.  Thanks for your response.

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

I definitely was not contemplating a Refund.  I agree Report Buyer and Negative Feedback is not warranted.   Thanks so much for all your responses.  I will let you know what happens.

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

THANKS!

Message 15 of 29
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: