cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Executive Chat, Oct 10th @ 1pm PT - Sarah Brubacher

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Community,

I am very excited to announce that we will be hosting an eBay Executive Chat on Tuesday, Oct 10th at 1 pm PT with Sarah Brubacher.

Sarah currently leads the Seller Evangelist & Community team and has held a variety of roles during her thirteen years at eBay.  She first joined eBay in 2004 as a global policy manager in Trust & Safety – and since then has held positions in Cross-Border Trade, Merchant Development, Global University Recruiting and has been Chief of Staff.

Please join this 'Ask Me Anything' hour-long chat session to get to know Sarah, ask questions and share your insights about selling on eBay.

Sarah is looking forward to answering your questions!

Chat with you then.

Sarah.png

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 85
latest reply
84 REPLIES 84

Re: eBay Executive Chat, Oct 10th @ 1pm PT - Sarah Brubacher

@ebetsy wrote:

@sarahbru wrote:

@mg152 wrote:
You didn’t ask me but the biggest issues I see are low views & sales & fraudulent returns. IE: buyer returns a rock & not the iPhone seller shipped. My problems were low to no views & sales but I’m not selling right now. Just stating what we see in the community.

@mg152: Thanks for sharing here. When you get selling again (and I hope you do!), I would suggest checking out promotional tools such as promotions manager to help your items get more views. You can check them out on this Seller Center page.  (BTW, that was my first time creating a hyperlink and it was fun.) I hope you're feeling better soon! Sarah

Link went to "something went wrong" page. Did you mean this page:

http://www.eBay.com/PromotionsManager

@ebetsy: Apparently my foray into hyperlinking didn't go so well.....Trinton is assuring me that he fixed my post (thank you, mr. millenial) and he is also confirming to me that your link is correct. *sigh* Sarah

Message 61 of 85
latest reply

Thank you so much Sarah!

The old version makes it so repetative.....then having to go and create the Event too. For over a week I couldn access the create Event and kept getting a page not available error. But finally Sunday I was able to access it. 

Looking forward to trying the new Markdown!

Terry Thayer ~

eBay ID since 2005: TxBlue49 ~

eBay Store: D's Hawg Shack
Message 62 of 85
latest reply

@ebetsy wrote:

Other great stuff I'm seeing: Love the newest iterations of the Manage Orders and Active Listings pages in Seller Hub, and just updated to the new Purchase History page, which is EXCELLENT — especially the search function! 

What still needs work: Performance recommendations for non-catalog items.

@ebetsy: We are passing along this feedback to the teams. THANK YOU. Mostly the teams hear from us when there is a problem - so it is awesome to be able to share when something is going well! 🙂 Sarah

Message 63 of 85
latest reply

Sarah, it was at the Dallas eBaybes & eMales Meetup when I first met you! 🙂 

I remember you visit!

Terry Thayer ~

eBay ID since 2005: TxBlue49 ~

eBay Store: D's Hawg Shack
Message 64 of 85
latest reply

@sarahbru wrote:

@ebetsy wrote:

@theshoppingmom2 wrote:

@sarahbru I have also purchased eBay swag and raffle it off at the meetup.... they love that !!

eBay swag is always welcomed at our meetups, too — and to reiterate, we'd love to receive content AND visits from eBay. Skype sessions are good too, but there's nothing like being live f2f in the real.

@ebetsy AGREED. heart Sarah

@sarahbru@ebetsy  yes the swag makes everyone smile... I   gave away the tape  and OMG everyone was sooo happy!!! I even had a non member approach our table at the restaurant and asked where he could get the tape.... I gave him one too 🙂

ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ Patty ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ
Message 65 of 85
latest reply

@sarahbru wrote:

@mg152 wrote:
Hi Alan & Sarah,
Can I just say I love working in my PJs with no makeup on?
I’m taking some time off right now because of personal issues but my boss doesn’t care! 😂
I want to thank all my fellow members for extending a helping hand again after my County was nearly destroyed by Irma. I don’t know what I’d do without all of you wonderful people.

I do have a question. Is ebay trying to rid the site of small or part time sellers like myself?
I take buying & selling very seriously & have never really had any problems buying it selling & I'd like to keep selling.
Great to see everyone.

Hey @mg152:  I'm so glad to hear that you received outreach from Community members. I think this is what makes eBay just such an incredible site. Buying / Selling / Belonging -- that is what eBay is all about. And no - eBay is definitely not trying to rid the site of small sellers - we're trying to do the opposite.  Can you speak more about what is driving the question? Thanks! Sarah

Hi Sara, What is driving the questions about eBay and small sellers is all the requirements eBay has laid and continues to lay on sellers.  Mega-sellers may be able to accommodate 60 day no-questions-asked returns, but smaller sellers cannot.   Those are the kinds of mandates that make smaller sellers feel squeezed out.  Things such as Fast n Free one-day handling times aren't realistic for many small, rural sellers.  But if they don't comply, their items don't position well in search results, and their sales slow to nothing.   So yes, many of the recent innovations seem designed to promote Mega-sellers to the detriment of small sellers.  Surely you all can see that?  

Message 66 of 85
latest reply

@ebetsy wrote:

@sarahbru wrote:

@theshoppingmom2 wrote:

@sarahbru wrote:

@theshoppingmom2 wrote:
Hi Sarah!!!

Nice seeing you here!!! 

I would love to know if eBay has any plans to revive the On Location meetings they used to have and if not , do they have any plans to get more events to get the community  together?

Hey @theshoppingmom2:  I'm not aware of plans to revive the regional OnLocation meetings....rather we are putting resources toward making eBay Open bigger / better for sellers. We're also looking into how we can better support local Meet Ups with content and maybe fly-ins from eBay staff. What are your thoughs on those?  Sarah

@sarahbru I will love more support for the meetups.. I have one and my members will be thrilled to have  people from eBay chat with them... they always have so many questions and are so eager to learn, it puts a smile on my face to be able to help them....

and like Viv said when I was on stage with her at eBay Open... the post office is a great place to meet  eBay sellers.... I go there wearing my  eBay  "WeBay" shirt and my Converse ( eBay) and I approach people... so much fun!!!!

heart

The eBay Converse are FABULOUS — how is it that they came to be made? Mine are hanging up in my eBay space so I can admire them even when I'm not wearing them!

@ebetsy: Re: the converse. One of the executive assistants created them as a surprise for the execs presenting on stage.  There has been such a huge positive reaction (both from eBay sellers as well as eBay employees -- e.g. Trinton, Alan and Doug are each telling me they want a pair and if I'm a cool manager I'll find a way to get them a pair....) that we have suggested the swag company start making them.  Whaddyathink? Sarah

Message 67 of 85
latest reply

@sarahbru wrote:

@ebetsy wrote:

@sarahbru wrote:

@theshoppingmom2 wrote:

@sarahbru wrote:

@theshoppingmom2 wrote:
Hi Sarah!!!

Nice seeing you here!!! 

I would love to know if eBay has any plans to revive the On Location meetings they used to have and if not , do they have any plans to get more events to get the community  together?

Hey @theshoppingmom2:  I'm not aware of plans to revive the regional OnLocation meetings....rather we are putting resources toward making eBay Open bigger / better for sellers. We're also looking into how we can better support local Meet Ups with content and maybe fly-ins from eBay staff. What are your thoughs on those?  Sarah

@sarahbru I will love more support for the meetups.. I have one and my members will be thrilled to have  people from eBay chat with them... they always have so many questions and are so eager to learn, it puts a smile on my face to be able to help them....

and like Viv said when I was on stage with her at eBay Open... the post office is a great place to meet  eBay sellers.... I go there wearing my  eBay  "WeBay" shirt and my Converse ( eBay) and I approach people... so much fun!!!!

heart

The eBay Converse are FABULOUS — how is it that they came to be made? Mine are hanging up in my eBay space so I can admire them even when I'm not wearing them!

@ebetsy: Re: the converse. One of the executive assistants created them as a surprise for the execs presenting on stage.  There has been such a huge positive reaction (both from eBay sellers as well as eBay employees -- e.g. Trinton, Alan and Doug are each telling me they want a pair and if I'm a cool manager I'll find a way to get them a pair....) that we have suggested the swag company start making them.  Whaddyathink? Sarah

OMG, I think they'd be a hit, in fact I KNOW they would! And BIG props to that brilliant exec assistant!!

I'd also like to see the annual eBay Christmas ornament revived by The eBay Shop folks (who now have their store on eBay instead of a dedicated website). Those were wonderful.

p.s. Say hi to Doug for me, please…

Don't miss eBay Radio!
Via the archives 24/7
Message 69 of 85
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@sarahbru, alan@ebay  Good afternoon Exec Team, sorry I'm late, its a tough time slot to hit on the east coast.  Main item for me today is the desire to have a less expensive USPS First Class International class to 1.5 lbs instead of 4.0 lbs AND for less than $ 12.00 US that includes Delcon Tracking (to the UK) in order to increase sales.  The current 1st Class Int Pack is $ 22.50.  I have only dabbled in interntaional selling due high shipping costs but would like to open up to it more.  However, on a $ 20.00 item plus $ 22.50 to the Buyer totalling $ 42.50 the PayPal and eBay fees for the total wind up costing 28.9% of the $ 20.00 sale item.  Not to mention shipping costs the Buyer can be more than the item itself.

Anything eBay's USPS negotiating team can do in this reguard would be greately appreciated.

@mr_lincoln: To start, thank you for joining even though the time is tough on the East Coast. I also really appreciate your comments about negotiating better USPS prices.  We will absolutely pass along your comments to the shipping team (who sit right outside of the room we're currently in!). As for international, I would tell you that expanding into the international market can be great for increasing your business -- and would suggest you check out our Global Shipping Program as it will allow you to pay domestic shipping costs for international shipping... (I'm hoping I did the hyperlinking better this time!) Thanks! (Trinton will double check my hyperlink now....) Sarah

Message 70 of 85
latest reply

@sarahbru  OMG  that will be great news on the Converse.... does that mean I can buy them in different colors just like the ones you were wearing at Open??? the black with the green or Bob was wearing the red....... I  am waiting for your answer with anticipation!!!! 

Terry!!!! you are here!!!!! 🙂

ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ Patty ღஐƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒஐღ
Message 71 of 85
latest reply

@sarahbru wrote:

@ebetsy wrote:

@sarahbru wrote:

@ebetsy wrote:

@sarahbru wrote:

@ebetsy wrote:

Hi Alan! Hi Sarah!

Hiya ebetsy!! Thanks for breaking the ice! 🙂 Sarah

My speciality! Thanks for this chat…so what are you hearing from sellers is their biggest challenge these days?

eBetsy:  What I am hearing most recently is the challenge of keeping up with all of the changes eBay has asked sellers to adopt (e.g. active content, https, contact info, etc).  We try to consolidate updates together in Seller Releases and provide tools where they are available, but we also recognize that it is ALOT when you are a small business.  What are you hearing? Sarah

The Fall Seller Update is always a source of trepidation, coming as it does right before the holidays, but I'm loving the changes. We were already doing 60-day free returns and delivering with the Guaranteed Delivery window, so love getting the recognition (and boost in search) for that.

eBetsy: Are you TRYING to make my day?! That is such great news - thanks for sharing your success! Sarah

My question is why should seller  offer free returns in order to charge 50% fee off a refund  in cASE OF A that a Buyer  ALTERED or damged the item ? Why  buyers altered the item they bought they have no right to both return or a refund. 

Message 72 of 85
latest reply

@saint*steven wrote:

Hello, Now that off-eBay links are not allowed, I wish there were an upload area for audio files so I could provide audio samples of records I have for sale.

@saint*steven: I love that idea and will pass that along. (I'm a big music fan myself!) Thanks. Sarah

Message 73 of 85
latest reply

Another useful page for the GSP (Global Shipping Program):

http://www.ebay.com/gsp

Don't miss eBay Radio!
Via the archives 24/7
Message 74 of 85
latest reply

Sorry, guess we're just here to wave at each other. 

Message 75 of 85
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: