cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weekly Community Chat, June 7th @ 1pm PT - General Topics

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Community 🙌

Please join the Community team at 1 pm Pacific today for our weekly chat. We do not have a set topic this week so feel free to ask us your buying or selling questions or share what's on your eBay mind. 

For the last couple of weeks, we've been sharing a survey that we're currently conducting regarding the weekly chat format. We'll be closing the survey this week, so please take a minute to share your thoughts if you haven't done so yet. 

Talk to you at 1 pm!

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 83
latest reply
82 REPLIES 82

Re: Weekly Community Chat, June 7th @ 1pm PT - General Topics

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@Anonymous 

@Anonymous wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Promotions Webinar re-play?

I signed up for the Webinar on Promotions for today but was not able to make it. Is that something that can be accessed and “replayed” at a time of my choosing?

Hi @mr_lincoln! I'm working with the team now to see if we can get our hands on a replay. I'll update you as soon as I hear back!

Why thank you Heidi! 

You're very welcome! It looks like you can watch it again by visiting: http://ebay.yourbrandlive.com/c/promotions-manager and signing up/registering once more. It's there for you to play. Definitely check it out! grin

Message 46 of 83
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@vrykalak wrote:

if you Sell Similar
a. item size & weight should be copied from the source listing

b. if you then change the category, specifics should not be erased

Thanks for the feedback! Happy to pass this along. Additionally, if you are using the advanced listing tool you can send along your feedback directly to our developers by selecting the "Send us your feedback" link in the upper right corner of the listing tool. They will review this for possible enhancements 🙂

Message 47 of 83
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

alan@ebay

Last week we chatted a bit about Ebay’s efforts in removing what they consider old and/or stale listings from the site.  I asked several questions on this subject and most were answered with the announcement Ebay made on June 1st.

The Announcement link for those that may want to see it.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/eBay-Listing-Spring-Cleaning/ba-p/27039412

I sent you an email right after it was posted as there is still one remaining VERY IMPORTANT question that has not gotten a response yet.

When Ebay removes these listings are they simply closing them or are they DELETING them?  As we know, there is a HUGE difference between the two actions.

Is it Ebay’s intention to delete these listing so that a seller has to go through all the work of rewriting a listing and get new pics before they can post the item or items again, instead of allowing them to revise the old listing and repost it?????  Clearly deleting the listings puts a burden on sellers that is just NOT necessary.

Ebay is removing listings that do NOT break ANY policy, which is unfair in the first place.  IMHO Ebay does not have the right to mess with my business at this level.  Certainly Ebay can and does make suggestions to make listings stronger and more appetizing, but to take on the management of my listings that break no policy or rule is just plain wrong. That is MY job!

And IF Ebay is going to be deleting the listings, Ebay is then costing sellers money by the time lost / spent in recreating certain listings.  In what world is that fair to sellers???  If we have to endure this action by Ebay, then closing the listings is the better approach IMHO!

Hi @mam98031

We do not "delete" listings. Ended listings are available in the usual places like Seller Hub and the 'Unsold' section of Selling Manager. 

Thanks. 

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 48 of 83
latest reply

Good Afternoon Everybody,

The eBay product catalog:

When attempting to use catalog content to fill in item specifics on a listing I am often shown different product results for the same brand item.  For example Herbal Essences Shampoo will return 5 product results to choose from on the first search attempt.   A second search for the exact same words will return 9 product results and a third search will return only 3 product results.  Herbal Essences has about 10 varieties in various sizes on the market.  A more specific search for a particular type of this shampoo may not show it when it did show up in the more generic brand name search.

Is there a trick to using the product catalog so that all products and varieties of a certain brand are presented to select from?

Is there a limit to how many selections the catalog will show you per search? There used to be a "show more items" link at the bottom of those pages but I no longer see it.

~

The few catalog items that do show appear huge on my monitor screen now and the view slider bar across the bottom does not work.  I only see a tiny portion of anything off to the right.

~

I was told by an eBay employee Monday that there are millions of products in the catalog.  Any word when a simple catalog search will be available to sellers BEFORE we begin a listing.  Easy access to the catalog would surely speed up listing for some of us.  And we would know before listing which catalog pages are incorrect for the product we want to list.  (Especially in Books).

Thanks for any help,

Bonnie Jo 

Message 49 of 83
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

if you Sell Similar
a. item size & weight should be copied from the source listing

b. if you then change the category, specifics should not be erased

YES YES, this is such a pain.  If you change the category of a listing, all the ISBs [item specific box] are cleared out.  It causes a lot of work for sellers that isn't necessary.  Or at least shouldn't be.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 50 of 83
latest reply

So, how will I be able to access Seller Hub next winter when there's a blizzard and my phone and cable are  both down and there's not wifi cause Comcast piggybacks their wifi on my router?

Having a listing tool offline so I can list, in the car, on the train, on the plain, in the desert, in the blizzard etc.  is essential. 

Having everything controlled thru an online source is useless cause a lot of places still don't have and never will have hi-speed internet access.  What you're doing is akin to Amazon's new 2 step verification.  I don't have 2 cell phones so I won't be able to sell there after June 30th. 

I don't have "Mind Control" to send things thru the ether to ebay listings forms when the weather or the equally glitchy Comcast (equally glitchy with ebay) blows up..and so why bother? 

Of course with my totally disappearing sales, why bother

Woadieland
DepressionGlassWarehouse
ebay seller since it was AuctionWeb
Message 51 of 83
latest reply

@automotivepartsrecyclrs wrote:

There was a link to check your listings for the active content. We used it yesterday to verify all are listings. Now the link is gone. It was under seller announcements.

We are finding some of the apps on Ebay are good to use but are in violation of the active content policy

Sorry it's not there any longer @automotivepartsrecyclrs ! You can always pull it up manually too, the address is: http://www.ebay.com/sh/lst/active/active-content

I hope that helps! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 52 of 83
latest reply

alan@ebay

The whole point of TL is that we keep our listings on our computer.

I don't trust your servers to keep old ended listings for years.

I just found an extra of an item I sold 5 years ago.

With TL I had the listing live in seconds.  From the old listing.

Message 53 of 83
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@coinslabz26 wrote:
This question is regarding the coin category and listing categories.

For years it seems to have eluded ebay that the US coins section needs a section for US mint produced pattern coins. Pattern coins are usually list by judd and pollock numbers such as "J-000" or "P-000" format making them difficult to search for. These coins are extremely popular and were experimental issues struck at the US mint mostly in the late 1800's but also exist from 1792 up to present.

The catalogue number of these coins makes them difficult to search for and many are lost in other and miscellaneous categories. A quick search for "judd" in the coin category reveals about 200 misplaced listings right now and that is only from the sellers savvy enough to use the term to be found. These coins are expensive and in high demand. A pattern coins subcategory in US coins would bring great value to both ebay and it's buyers, as well as provide a home for these lost coins!

This is a great and well thought out suggestion! I want to get this to our catalog team for review, so look for an email from me soon with a request for more info 🙂

Message 54 of 83
latest reply

@dansteinke972 wrote:
That is correct.

Thanks for confirming, @dansteinke972. We're going to listen in to the call, and we will ensure that the teammate is coached if necessary. 

I appreciate you sharing the details. 

Message 55 of 83
latest reply

Has eBay decreased the length of time that completed listings (sold or unsold) remain on its servers?  I have always understood it to be 90 days.

Last week, on my secondary selling ID, I wanted to relist a fixed-price listing that ended on March 20.  Of course, the listing had aged off the 60-day Unsold section in My eBay but I should have been able to find it by item number until about June 20.  (Other completed listings -- from other sellers and my primary selling ID -- are easily found back as far as February.)

Fortunately, I had saved the listing as a template from which to create additional listings and I always compose listings in Notepad.  But why was my completed listing not available via Search for the full 90 days?

By the way, thanks to the boardie who provided a link to find saved templates -- a vital feature no longer available via Sell Your Item or Create a Listing.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 56 of 83
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

alan@ebay

Last week we chatted a bit about Ebay’s efforts in removing what they consider old and/or stale listings from the site.  I asked several questions on this subject and most were answered with the announcement Ebay made on June 1st.

The Announcement link for those that may want to see it.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/eBay-Listing-Spring-Cleaning/ba-p/27039412

I sent you an email right after it was posted as there is still one remaining VERY IMPORTANT question that has not gotten a response yet.

When Ebay removes these listings are they simply closing them or are they DELETING them?  As we know, there is a HUGE difference between the two actions.

Is it Ebay’s intention to delete these listing so that a seller has to go through all the work of rewriting a listing and get new pics before they can post the item or items again, instead of allowing them to revise the old listing and repost it?????  Clearly deleting the listings puts a burden on sellers that is just NOT necessary.

Ebay is removing listings that do NOT break ANY policy, which is unfair in the first place.  IMHO Ebay does not have the right to mess with my business at this level.  Certainly Ebay can and does make suggestions to make listings stronger and more appetizing, but to take on the management of my listings that break no policy or rule is just plain wrong. That is MY job!

And IF Ebay is going to be deleting the listings, Ebay is then costing sellers money by the time lost / spent in recreating certain listings.  In what world is that fair to sellers???  If we have to endure this action by Ebay, then closing the listings is the better approach IMHO!

Hi @mam98031

We do not "delete" listings. Ended listings are available in the usual places like Seller Hub and the 'Unsold' section of Selling Manager. 

Thanks. 

Some sellers have stated on various threads that they are NOT in the Unsold.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 57 of 83
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

@sockmonkeydave wrote:

alan@ebay

Any update on what is happening with Turbo Lister.

I love the program, as do many others.

Hi @sockmonkeydave

We understand from our conversations and surveys that for some of you, a few of the Turbo Lister features you rely on are not yet available in Seller Hub. In keeping with our promise, Turbo Lister will continue to be available beyond June with limited support.

However, Turbo Lister is no longer available to new users and we will not be making any product updates beyond support for category changes.

Meanwhile, we continue to add functionality to Seller Hub to make it the most convenient and powerful way to manage your selling from one convenient location. For example, you can upload listings in bulk with File Exchange, as well as create and manage listings from the Seller Hub listings tab. Regardless of how you list, we encourage you to take advantage of the unique competitive features in Seller Hub including performance reports, marketing tools, and growth and inventory guidance.

We will continue to enhance Seller Hub and will keep you posted, as new features are available.

Thank you!

Talking about seller hub...Have they fixed the save issue. The last time I used it, It took me forever compared to TL to create 7 listings because I had to save each step. I spent about an hour creating those listings which would have taken no more than 15 mins in TL. Anyway. While I was typing my title for the 7th listing, my page was redirected to the seller hub main page, and no matter how hard I tried or looked, I could not recover the listings I just made, even though I had to keep selecting save for each step. I just wasted my time making listings for nothing.

Message 58 of 83
latest reply

Of the 74 apps ebay has in the app section which ones are not going to give me the bad active content on our listings? I guess it's when is Ebay going to clean up their app store

Message 59 of 83
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@coinslabz26 wrote:
This question is regarding the coin category and listing categories.

For years it seems to have eluded ebay that the US coins section needs a section for US mint produced pattern coins. Pattern coins are usually list by judd and pollock numbers such as "J-000" or "P-000" format making them difficult to search for. These coins are extremely popular and were experimental issues struck at the US mint mostly in the late 1800's but also exist from 1792 up to present.

The catalogue number of these coins makes them difficult to search for and many are lost in other and miscellaneous categories. A quick search for "judd" in the coin category reveals about 200 misplaced listings right now and that is only from the sellers savvy enough to use the term to be found. These coins are expensive and in high demand. A pattern coins subcategory in US coins would bring great value to both ebay and it's buyers, as well as provide a home for these lost coins!

This is a great and well thought out suggestion! I want to get this to our catalog team for review, so look for an email from me soon with a request for more info 🙂

Many thanks for your consideration! By bringing attention to this you are doing a great service to the coin community!

Message 60 of 83
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: