cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Nov 15th @ 1pm PT - General Topics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Community, 

We invite you to join the Community team here at 1 pm PT on Nov 15th for the weekly chat.

This week we will discuss general topics, so please share your buying & selling questions. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 103
latest reply
102 REPLIES 102

Re: Community Chat, Nov 15th @ 1pm PT - General Topics

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dtexley3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

As seen in the forums, there are a lot of unhappy small sellers because eBay is now adding Best Offer to their listings.  Why does eBay feel it necessary to impose themselves at this level?  What a seller chooses to set as a price, and whether they want to deal with Best Offer should be up to the seller.

How many buyers are going to be unhappy when Best Offers are ignored or quickly declined with a message of "I don't take offers, and eBay won't allow me to turn off Best Offer."  

I think this causes a negative experience for both the buyer and the seller.

Hi @dtexley3, we include Best Offer automatically when the listing price is above the trending price for that item. Any Best Offer under 30% of the asking price is automatically declined. Adding this feature in does not obligate a seller to accept the offer, and is intended to increase the chances of a successful sale. If a seller does not wish to review offers, they are welcome to switch over to the Advanced Listing Tool and create a new listing without Best Offer.

Switching to the advanced listing tool doesn't help!!!!  People have turned off the Best Offer on the listing only to have it set again the next night.  This IS NOT happening when the listing is created, it's happening in the middle of the night and the sellers are receiving an email on how eBay is "helping" them.  

If you are saying that ending that listing a creating a new one is a solution, why should they have to use up one of their listings (or pay a fee) to get out of something eBay is imposing on them?

Don't even get me started on how bad the data is being used to estimate prices.

Hi @dtexley3, happy to clarify that switching to the Advanced Tool would not allow a seller to remove Best Offer from a listing, but would allow a seller to create a new listing without this feature. One Best Offer is on a listing it cannot be removed, so a new listing would need to be created. The only Sellers who are having this automatically applied are sellers who are opted into the New Quick Listing Tool, which would only include sellers who are new or occassional sellers. These sellers would not be using the full 50 free insertion fee credits they receive a month, so ending the listing and creating a new listing through the Advanced Listing Tool would not cause a fee to be assessed. If it did, a credit could be pursued by contacting Customer Service.

@If you've seen threads where Best Offer is being applied after the listing has been posted to the site we would love to see more details. Feel free to @mention one of the us and we can review the specifics.

Message 31 of 103
latest reply

@wendybac wrote:

The feedback form shows stars, however I don't see any explanation of what the 1st, 2nd, etc. stars stand for.  They are not labeled in any way that I can see, so how is a person to know if the 1st star is good or bad.  If the 4th star is good or bad?

@wendybac:  I believe you're referring to the new Leave Feedback form.... I will share this feedback with the team that works on this form though I suspect that as Feedback stars have become so standard on websites perhaps they didn't feel the need to state the explanations?  I will confirm and come back to this thread. Thanks! Sarah

Message 32 of 103
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

And in conclusion (maybe), my weekly whine:

There continue to be postings about the "request invoice" or "request total" button being disabled on the cart.  I understand that there are multiple reasons that cause this but the level of confusion and frustration continues.  Please consider just enabling the button.  

Hi @dtexley3@, if you have some examples you can share with us then it would help us have a better idea of why this is occuring. You're welcome to @ mention one of us in a thread with more detailsabout transactions you feel warrant the request total button be activated. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 33 of 103
latest reply

And folks know what the discounted shipping cost and oh yeah they took me for .50 on the shipping Ding for you!
Time is the most precious gift, Thank you for yours,
aswe
Message 34 of 103
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

@threshold.sales.group wrote:

Greetings,

I just had a return that was caused by an error in the eBay catalog (wrong part fitment contained in the catalog).

If as announced, non-catalog listings will soon be matched and merged into the eBay catalog, will sellers be held harmless for returns and problems associated with bad catalog data that was added by eBay (not the seller) to the original listing?  I’m referring to item attributes and data that the seller had no control over or ability to review prior to it being included in the seller’s already active listing *if that is indeed the plan for the future*.

Thank you

Somewhat related to this:
I posted a bunch of holiday-themed novels, using the catalog entries for almost all of them.
I noticed that all but two had visitors.
I checked those two, and found out that the catalog billed one of them as a cookbook, and one as a textbook. 
Since the catalog error had obviously reduced the effectiveness of my ads, I had no choice but to remove the catalog link. That's not good, because then they won't be seen by as many people as they would if they had a catalog link...but they weren't being seen by anyone as long as they had the erroneous link.

Hi @vrykalak

Can you share the titles with me so I can pass the feedback to the catalog team? 

Also, Syed from the team does have a dedicated Community board, you can share any other issues you experience with him on the following board: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Product-Catalog/bd-p/ProductCatalog

Thanks. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 35 of 103
latest reply

Local Pick up questions:

1. I recently had a local pick up sale and messaged the Buyer to ask if my address comes up for them to find me ... they said no and then included their cell phone number in the message.  Fortunately, we have not received any messages about sharing personal info, selling off the site or account closures or restirctions.  BUT, this begs the question, is it okay once a Local Pick up order has been placed for the Seller to 1) message the Buyer with personal contact info as well as the address, 2) mention Seller will send a letter in the mail with the contact info, etc.. 

2. On a non-Local Pickup sale the Buyer's email address is available in PayPal but on this recent one for me the Buyer's email did not appear in the PayPal transaction ... is that normal?

3. Paying cash:  okay, a while ago I asked that when a Local Pick up order is placed that payment through paypal be blocked forcing cash at pick up ... since eBay has not effected that change (yet) is it permissible to cancel the PP order, refund the $4 and wait for pick up for the cashola?  That is what I have read here in The Community that others recommend ... is that right and acceptable?

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 36 of 103
latest reply

Greetings all, 

We're now into something like our third week of eBay offering New and Refurbished condoms (screenshot below), not to mention a lot of other... delicate... categories in which a "Refurbished" category makes no sense. 

Screenshot_20171024a.jpg

Now, I don't really want to know what the "refurbishing" process involves for condoms, diapers and such, although I'm sure everything is rinsed thoroughly, only the finest duct tape is used for repairs, etc., but still... Is there no quick way for you to yank the "refurbished" reference from categories in which it makes absolutely no sense? It seems as if that enhancement was rolled out with no maintenance or category editing capabilities, and this first became known at least three weeks ago now.

Message 37 of 103
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

Order Details on Purchase History page need to be available further back. As of now, you can't see them beyond 60 days. They need to be available for at least a year. They also need to be more detailed including things like coupons or discounts applied. We should be able to see exactly what calculates the total that matches the charge card statement.

Thanks for the input @chrysylys - I'll make sure this suggestion is made with the right teams.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 38 of 103
latest reply

Staff has already been @mentioned in more than one of these threads.  The response always goes back to the quick listing tool and ignores the statement that the listing was changed after the fact.  The seller is receiving an eBay message stating that the listing has been changed for them.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 39 of 103
latest reply

Questions as to why eBay is running with at least three different listing frames.

I've noticed over the last couple months eBay keeps changing up the formats for listing frames or as the listing template is laid out.  Sometimes the description field is there and sometimes there is a button to press to pop open another window to show the description.  

Thing that bugs me about the pop open descriptions is that one you cannot order from that page, so if a buyer has multiple descrition pages open he/she may not find their way back to the original page they were looking at to make the purchase and two if the description is totally blank then what is the point of having a pop open  if the page is blank.

Going into the holiday season you guys seem to like rolling the dice on how things will work but would like some more clarity as to why there are mulitple layouts for listings.  Doesn't seem to uniform to me.

Message 40 of 103
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@chrysylys wrote:

See this thread: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Bidding-Buying/Well-THAT-was-fun/td-p/27738179/jump-to/first-unread-me...

How does it benefit anyone when 75-80% of search results are by sellers outside the US?

Hi @chrysylys, our global marketplace increases the overall inventory. When a buyer can quickly and easily find what they are looking for, this encourages them to shop with eBay first, which can benefit all sellers both international and domestic. If I misunderstood your concern, feel free to elaborate for me slight_smile

Message 41 of 103
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

I have my first return for buyer’s remorse within the new return system.  I received the email from Ebay regarding it on November 9th.  The email was really lacking in details which IMHO sellers have the need to know.   I could not see the reason why the buyer wanted to return the item, even when I clicked on the “View return details”.

Instead the screen asked me to verify my return address [as I have a couple in my set up] and I needed to assign an RMA [which I have in my return preferences].  Once I did that, it came to a screen that gave me the details of the Request for return.  I could then see what the buyer wrote as an explanation.  It also told me what the Estimated refund amount would be if returned.

The Estimated Refund amount was less the original shipping.  So I ask is Ebay going to allow sellers to keep the original shipping charge on Buyer Remorse returns.  Or was this merely and oversight or omission on Ebay’s part?

Also if Ebay is going to allow sellers to keep the original shipping charge, how will Ebay apply this when you have Free Shipping on the item purchased and returned?

Another thing is that Ebay does not provide the seller with the tracking number on the return label.  Why? 

The Request for return does NOT show up on or in the Resolution Center at all.  Not when the buyer filed one and not after I confirmed it.  The only way to view what the status of this is to go through the link provided in the original email, so don’t lose or delete that email.  This seems problematic to me.  And it is only through the original email link that you can see if the buyer has shipped the item.  At the top it has a graphic that shows 4 steps. 

1. Return Started
  2. Item Shipped
  3. Item Delivered
  4. Refund Sent

On mine only number 1 has a green check mark, so I assume the buyer has not yet shipped the item back.  The screen also tells me that the buyer a few more days to actually mail the thing, which is fine, they should be allowed a little time to actually mail the item.  I get that.

I just don’t understand the limited information provided by Ebay or why it is selectively doled out to us.  This is our customer and our financial transaction.  We have every right to complete details regarding the process from start to finish, yet Ebay is selectively giving us info.  Why does Ebay feel this is appropriate?

Howdy @mam98031 - Thanks for this feedback and info on the formatting process. 

When it comes to the estimated refund field, in a remorse return you are able to withhold original shipping. If a member offers free shipping they would only be able to recoup that shipping cost with a restocking fee. 

For labels - if a buyer uses an ebay label a tracking number should be uploaded as soon as the buyer prints one out. If they are using their own shipping label we give them a certain amount of time to provide proof it is on its way back to you.

Returns should always be visible for you in the Seller Hub>Orders>Returns. I'll get it reported that it's not showing up in the Resolution Center either.

Definitely don't want you feeling like you're being kept in the dark - we want you to feel informed throughout the entire process. In the example you provided what more information could we get to you? Happy to make the suggestion!

Oh that darn Seller's Hub!!!  LOL  I'm still trying to get use to it.  Thank you.  It does appear under Open Returns/Replacements.  The resolution center is also represented on the Seller Hub, but it doesn't show anything.  I will remember to ignor the Resolution Center and look at the other link.

I think the original email should show anything and everything the buyer said inside of the Request.  That is important information to sellers which to be is obvious as to why it is important.  Therefore it should not be withheld from the seller until AFTER they confirm ship to address and RMA number if the seller requires it.  All info should be available to the seller at all times.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 42 of 103
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

And in conclusion (maybe), my weekly whine:

There continue to be postings about the "request invoice" or "request total" button being disabled on the cart.  I understand that there are multiple reasons that cause this but the level of confusion and frustration continues.  Please consider just enabling the button.  

Hi @dtexley3@, if you have some examples you can share with us then it would help us have a better idea of why this is occuring. You're welcome to @ mention one of us in a thread with more detailsabout transactions you feel warrant the request total button be activated. 

@Thanks brian.  I think Trinton can more than fill you in on my thoughts in this area sunglasses   I can continue to @mention staff in those threads, but am doing my best not to abuse the ability to do so.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 43 of 103
latest reply

Hi: Trinton  Got question  on  about  turning tracking upload  off  when  a Buyer checks off local pick option  in the shipping  section  of invoice request . I'am asking because of a  glich in system gave up a defect on upload tracking 9/12/17  when buyer clearly did local pickup  .  I was told it would be removed . So far it has not happen yet.  

Message 44 of 103
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@If you've seen threads where Best Offer is being applied after the listing has been posted to the site we would love to see more details. Feel free to @mention one of the us and we can review the specifics.

Right here:   https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-AUTOMATICALLY-changed-my-listing-to-Best-Offer-after/td-p/27734624/jump-to/first-unread-message

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 45 of 103
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: