cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, March 6 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone! We hope to see you here on March 6 at 1 PM PT for our weekly Chat with the Community Team. Bring your general buying and selling questions for discussion slight_smile

Message 1 of 87
latest reply
86 REPLIES 86

Re: Community Chat, March 6 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Anonymous
Not applicable

@eauctionmanagement wrote:

Does ebay have a solution yet for the double-billing issue that may occur now with Forced GTC. (months with 31 days could have a listing on the 1st and renewed on the 31st, which would hit the seller twice as many insertion fees for that month... causing big problems for store owners with a certain number of "free" fixed price listings per month.)

My solution... would be to do a pro-rated listing fee for the first month of a GTC listing... then a full listing fee each subsequent month (if you were really nice... you could make it pro-rated for the last month as well). This is how cable and satellite tv companies deal with on-going service contracts. Why wouldn't that work for this as well?

Hi @eauctionmanagement, no news to share at this time. This situation is being reviewed and we appreciate you sharing your thoughts!

Message 31 of 87
latest reply

Thanks again for everyone’s help in the community again this week. Personally I have no problems with GTC. I use it most of the time anyway. I guess I don’t understand long time members threatening to quit the site over this.
As long as my eBay stock is rising and my account is in good standing I have no issues. 😀😎
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 32 of 87
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

I noticed a problem with the new shipping label page: the choice of whether or not to show the shipping cost on the label has disappeared...or at least, I couldn't find it. Please put it back...or make it easier to find if it is still there.

Hi @vrykalak, I just checked on this and see that the option is still available on my account. It's toward the bottom of the page. Do you not see this option on your end?

Postage Cost on Label.JPG

Brian,
Community Team
Message 33 of 87
latest reply

When you relisted did you use relist or sell similar? I'm not sure, but I think if you use Sell Similar the listing remains in unsold not relisted, since technically it wasn't relisted.....could that be the issue?
Message 34 of 87
latest reply

We are quite north of Miami in the jacksonville area but it’s brrrrr cold here right now.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 35 of 87
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

vrykalak,

I don't think so. YOU can see the remaining time in YOUR Seller Hub. I don't think buyers see a count down on the listing itself. (Although the Ending Soonest sort would show them the time left, as GTC listings are treated same as 30 day for the Ending Soonest sort in Search.

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques - just want to clarify that GTC listings present themselves as 30 day listings to buyers. This means that on watchlists and in search results the time remaining for the listings' current cycle is displayed or factored. 

The countdown is not displayed on the listing itself, as it would in an auction or other fixed price listing, but from search results (via 'ending soonest') or the watchlist the time remaining is displayed to promote that sense of urgency.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 36 of 87
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

and with Good 'Til Cancelled listings, immediately when the listing "ends" it is renewed.

So if you do not want the listing to auto renew, you have to end it manually before it would naturally end. 

I know that. I said that in item #4 of this thread.

Message 37 of 87
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi @vrykalak, a Good 'Til Cancelled listing is set up to renew every 30 days. The listing has a natural end time and this will be displayed to you in Seller Hub if you sort with this value. I'm not quite certain what you are asking when you reference purchases being possible on the first and last days?

Well, anyone sorting their search results by Ending Soonest should see those 30-day listings rising to the top of their search results as the end of the 30-day period draws close, and interested buyers who don't know about GTC being the norm now may feel a little pressure to grab the item in case it, um, doesn't get relisted in future. Smiley Wink

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that if the item is on your Watch List, eBay will send you annoy-o-gram reminders when the end of the listing period is drawing nigh, warning you to buy it before it disappears. (I don't know if those messages will continue to be sent if there is no longer much likelihood that the listing is really going to end.)

Message 38 of 87
latest reply

I was going to order some things   today but noticed that ebay is charging me tax.  In my state the items are non taxable (groceries) 

Why and how is ebay getting away with charging tax on non-taxable items?

WAC 458-20-244  (Washington code)

Does anyone care that they ebay is fraudulently collecting sales tax? 

I understand sales tax , I understand why you have to collect and pay to my state and I appreciate it, sincerely, but you are collecting it when it is not necessary. 

Can't this be fixed?

Message 39 of 87
latest reply

The state tax that eBay will be collecting for States that require tax to be collected in will only be visible if you download the orders report ?  Is this for real ?  Why is it being buried in a downloaded report, why not on the sales record  since there is plenty of room to add any tid bit of information on that page.  I guess I don't understand why its not visible unless you download your report assuming the report is ready to be downloaded.

Not seeing how this makes it easy for anyone.

Message 40 of 87
latest reply

Hi Trinton,
I would like a little information regarding returns.
I've had 3 returns in the last 3 weeks.
All 3 were after the 30 day return had passed.
The last one was on day 31 and eBay auto approved that return. I was given the option on the other two whether to accept or not.
My last return, the buyer stated he changed his mind after using product for 30 days.
1) Is the seller protected from bad feedback if the return is declined?
2) Why does eBay even let the buyer open a return if it's past the 30 return date? (30 days from date of receipt).
Why doesn't eBay tell the buyer to contact the seller to see if something can be done. All my items have a 1 year or longer warranty, so there is no reason to let a buyer make a return after the 30 day return period. No one in my industry would allow a return after 30 days of using. It automatically falls under warranty, which costs the buyer nothing.
This is costing a lot of money for the seller having to take returns after the 30 day return period.
Message 41 of 87
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@carlqsportscards wrote:

I sell sports cards. I like having the 30 day listings end if they don't sell. I can relist them in a month or two if that player or team gets hot. In the meantime I can relist a player who is doing well at the moment.

Please explain how this change helps me. Why does ebay think it is better for me to automatically relist a player that is not doing well, instead of a player that is.

(If I had an infinite number of free listings it wouldn't matter, but obviously that isn't the case)

Hi @carlqsportscards, the longer a listing is active on the site the more visibility it has and the better placement it will receive in third party search engines. These two factors increase your chance of a successful sale. When we make decisions for the health of our Community we aim to streamline the experience for out members, increase traffic to the site, and ultimately increase sales for our sellers. You may still choose to end the listing as you see fit, you simply won't have the option of setting a duration time frame in your listings for them to end automatically.

Message 42 of 87
latest reply

@automotivepartsrecyclrs wrote:

Weekly sales. Some say it's throttling but I was wondering.

Sales Thursday thru Tuesday seem to be good to excellent.

Wednesday all of America is gone? None to 2 sales on any given wednesday for the past 5 years.

My data don't lie. 

So is throttling actually happening each wednesday? If so why?

Hi @automotivepartsrecyclrs, we make money when items sell. It is not in our best interest to throttle sales on Wednesday, or any other day of the week. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 43 of 87
latest reply

Tyler, My understanding is that the "Ending Soonest" sort treats GTCs as 30 days....so a GTC at the end of its 30 day cycle is high up on the ending soonest page, with the time left displayed.

But, as far as new listings go, I think it is treated differently, isn't it? The "newly listed" sort shows items in the order of listing, but not renewing. In other words, only listings NEW to the site are shown. Since a GTC renewal is NOT new to the site, it isn't shown as if it were newly listed. GTC listings only get to the top of the "newly listed" sort the very first time they are listed. Whereas, a 30 day listing that has ended and been manually relisted, is treated as new to the site (since it has a new listing number).

Am I wrong or right about that?
Message 44 of 87
latest reply

@theshoppingmom2 sorry I missed it!

@theshoppingmom2 wrote:

doug@ebay  Oh that will be so much fun! Let me know , looking forward to chatting with eBay staff...

The last event I had was the Meetup on Feb 23rd... it was ton of fun!Over 100 people attended thisOver 100 people attended this

Brian Burke taking questionsBrian Burke taking questions

Andy Lisk and Maxwell answered a lot of questionsAndy Lisk and Maxwell answered a lot of questions

Message 45 of 87
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: