cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Jan 31st @ 1pm PT - General Topics

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone,

Join us today at 1 PM Pacific time to discuss your general buying and selling questions. This week tyler@ebaybrian@ebay and myself will be detained for the first half of the chat, but rest assured we will join as soon as possible. All questions will be reviewed and while the chat will close at the normal time (2 PM Pacific Time), we will continue to work on responses after that point.

Looking forward to hearing from everybody!

Message 1 of 123
latest reply
122 REPLIES 122

Re: Community Chat, Jan 31st @ 1pm PT - General Topics

can a blocked bidder just user a guest account and buy again?

Is there any recourse if a blocked bidder purchases from you again using another account or a guest account?

Message 91 of 123
latest reply

I am also concerned about my late shipment rate due to the winter storms and USPS issues. I am a Top Rated seller and have had 34 shipments that indicate late delivery since December 10th! Before that I had ONE in April of 2017--that's it! Tracking was uploaded on time and validated on 99.63% of my shipments.

So now I am going to lose my Top Rated Seller level, and my discount unless Ebay adjusts for inclement weather.

Any word on when and IF Ebay is going to do this?

Message 92 of 123
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:
I was recently told by phone support that buyers are welcome to keep buying and returning the same unique item as many times as they like as long as a seller has a return policy. Can you confirm this is true?

I ask because I have a buyer who has purchased and returned the same $1800 item multiple times. Since they already saw it in hand the first time around why would they be allowed to keep buying it and returning it?

Why haven't you blocked the buyer?  

As long as the byer is not hurting the reputation of the seller ebay no longer cares about the seller on this issue. Ebay allows buyers to purchase if blocked by using a different buyer id.

This isn't new.  It has been this way for a long time if not forever.  I personally don't have many buyers, if any, that behave this way.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 93 of 123
latest reply

Is circumventing the blocked buyer list a seller problem or a buyer problem?

Message 94 of 123
latest reply

wrote:
Lots of confusion with sponsored listings.

No one finds greater value in the new sponsored listings then me. HOWEVER, it is also causing some confusion for buyers.

I am a seller of unique certified coins and some of the rarer ones they tend to be the only one of their type listed on ebay. For listings where there is only one result why do they show both the normal search result and sponsored as the only two results in a search? To some buyers it looks like I am double listing the same item as recent emails would suggest.

Is there any plans to adjust results to remove the secondary sponsored listing when only one result shows only the two same listings?

Hi @coinslabz26 - Promoted listings works by creating a 'Sponsored' version of your listing that is separate from your organic one. That's how impressions are measured, and also allows us to differentiate between how a sale was made for fees (did the buyer click on the Sponsored listing and purchase from there or did they find it in organic search and buy it that way).

Because of this, there is not a way to remove the 'Sponsored' version of your listing. You could consider removing it from the Promoted Listing campaign completely in order to remove the second listing from search results. However, if it pulls up in a more general search with other coins you would gain from the extra exposure.

I hope that helps clarify! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 95 of 123
latest reply

Trying to squeak in under the wire.  No time to read to see if this has been covered:

Topics of recent complaint threads, most without Staff responses:

Muliti-Variation Abuse.
Best Offer added without Seller choice
Promotions Bar moved to bottom of listings.
Cube Box discontinuation
Inability to block sellers from searches, requests for a Seller Management List

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 96 of 123
latest reply

What is ebay's policy and stance on this?

Where is this information coming from.

Message 97 of 123
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

In this past week, we were asked to comment on the second release of The Modern Buyer: How Baby Boomers and Generation Xers Shop Now.
In that discussion, it came up about customer contact and communication. I mentioned that if one of my customers wants me to find something for them I will. When I find it I will let them know and then list it on eBay for them. There were a few comments about this being spamming. I honestly can't see that as I am providing my customer a service, which I thought we are supposed to do as good sellers; increase our business, increase our sales, increase our customers satisfaction.

I would like confirmation that this is acceptable to do.

Ann

Oops and HELLO everyone. :-))

Hi @odditiesandantiquities1

Hello! 

I do not see an issue with that. If your customer initiates the contact and asks for something then I do not see how that as "spamming." It sounds like great customer service. 

Thanks. 

What if the seller is the one initiating contact? Because that is what was stated on the thread in question and that is why some said it was spam.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 98 of 123
latest reply

wrote:

As long as the byer is not hurting the reputation of the seller ebay no longer cares about the seller on this issue. Ebay allows buyers to purchase if blocked by using a different buyer id.

Is this information correct?

alan@ebay... I ditto this question!  If your policies have changed, we need to know Smiley Surprised

Graciously grin when you growl...lion.gif

Message 99 of 123
latest reply

One last rehash from long ago:

Order Details on Purchase History page need to be available further back.  As of now, you can't see them beyond 60 days.  They need to be available for at least a year.  They also need to be more detailed including things like coupons or discounts applied.  We should be able to see exactly what calculates the total that matches the charge card statement.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 100 of 123
latest reply

wrote:

Ebay CEO statement at Davos

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-at-davos-2018/

at 1:50 one of the panelists mentions Amazon and in Wenig's reply was this statement

"In the US a package is delivered average in 2 days, for ebay"

So when He says average, you take all the mail sellers send  via  Ups FedEX and Usps and other services and compute the average.

I use USPS and those deliveries are Express, first class, Priority, Parcel Select, Media Mail etc.

Can anyone from ebay  tell us where he is getting his numbers from as I don't believe the statement 

@mallontown  As you point out, there are a lot of different ways that sellers ship items on eBay. Some take longer than others. Sellers also impact the time the item gets to the buyer through other options like local pick-up and offering expedited service, such as overnight at the buyer's expense. In addition, many sellers now offer same day or one-day handling (ecommerce standard), which reduces the time for delivery. All of these impact the average time it takes for a buyer to receive an item from sellers on eBay. Most items sold on eBay arrive to the buyer within 2-3 business days of the seller shipping the item. 

Most sellers do a great job of shipping quickly and offering 2-3 day shipping services to buyers - they are meeting buyers expectations.

If you are not meeting this standard, check your competitors, if they are, you may want to reevaluate the shipping options.

Thanks for selling on eBay!

Brian

Join us at eBay Open this September! eBay.com/ebayopen
Message 101 of 123
latest reply

wrote:

@re: Community Chat, Jan 24th @ 1pm PT - General Topics
in reply to 01-24-2018 01:57:00 PM
brian.t@ebay

@mallontown wrote:

On the sell your item page there is a radio checkbox for international visibility.

When I click on it it shows only UK as a choice and If I choose it shows a .50 charge.

I did not choose it.

I logged into eBay UK to see my listing and there are there and show my items converted pricing in  UK pound cost.

So what exactly is the .50 charge for as I already show my items as being listed on the UK site?

Is ebays "Monetization team" (a Griff joke , I'm hoping) charging sellers extra for something they get for free anyway?

ebay charge of .50 for international site visibility.JPGIf you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful. If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click "Accept as Solution."

Hi @mallontown, while this feature is useful, it's not required for your listings to be visible on international sites. The International Site Visibility option lets the listing show above the fold in search results. With that said, if you offer international shipping on your listings then they will show up on international sites. 

please explain what you mean by above the fold. My listing are showing on UK site without any "fold"  and I did not pay extra for them to show

Hi @mallontown, sorry for the confusion my response caused. Basically, the International Site Visibility offers better visibility for items on the UK site. However, this feature is not required to have an item show in search results on the UK site. As long as international shipping is specified in the listing then it will show up in the UK sites search results. For this reason, the added cost of International Site Visibility may not be cost effective for many sellers. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 102 of 123
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

I have some Mardi Gras coins to sell, and in researching prices I see dozens of coins for sale for $1.55 with free shipping.
How is that possible, when it costs more than $3 to mail 1 ounce via USPS?
Are these sellers somehow able to ship for free?

I remember a used car salesman saying: we lose money on every sale; we make it up in volume.
That doesn't work in the real world. So what's going on here?

Hi @vrykalak, you could reach out to these sellers to ask about their shipping methods and get some tips! We aren't able to speak for their business model, but do encourage sellers working together to grow slight_smile

Message 103 of 123
latest reply

what is multi-variation listing abuse?

Message 104 of 123
latest reply

wrote:

#94, 24Jan18: re #88, 17Jan18: Can't give a Combined Shipping discount through eBay; have to refund thru PayPal. eBay doesn't have a any plans to change that.
ALL of my last 8 sales involved combined shipping. Not only will eBay not acknowledge multiple sales to the same customer, I paid FVFs on $23 of S&H that I refunded to the customers.
Paypal refunded their fees on the $23; eBay did not.
Bad for sellers who offer combined shipping to buyers of multiple items.
Any chance this can be changed? if not changed in SW, any chance sellers could request a refund of fees by calling customer service?

Just to add a bit more to this.  I'm pretty confident the come back will be to call in and get the refund.  But what we really need Ebay to understand and RESPECT is that in doing that, we chew up a great deal of our time.  It is NEVER a simple phone call, a couple minutes on the phone and then a resolution to a simple problem like this.  Personally I've spent as much as an hour on one phone call trying to resolve a matter exactly like this.  I find that unreasonable.

Ebay could design an ON SITE form to be filled out to accomodate this issue so that sellers could submit it.  Ebay review it and approve or deny.  It would save both time for the seller as well as Ebay.  And be far more fiscally responsible.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 105 of 123
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: