cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Feb 7th @ 1pm PT - eBay Guaranteed Delivery

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

We made some updates to eBay Guaranteed Delivery to improve the program for sellers:

• First, using eBay labels is no longer a requirement for the handling time option of eBay Guaranteed Delivery.
  • Second, through June 30th eBay will make it right for your buyer if they receive their item late, even if you miss your handling time or the carrier scans the package late. This means that if a buyer receives their item past the guaranteed date and raises a case, eBay will either reimburse their shipping cost or provide a free return label, buyer’s choice.
  • Also, have you tried out the Guaranteed Delivery bulk editing tool? It shows you which of your listings aren’t yet guaranteed, and how to update them. Use the “Updates” filter on the left to see which listings aren’t meeting specific program requirements, then update them in bulk.

We’re working toward opening up the program to more sellers in the coming months, and will email sellers when it’s time to opt in.

Any questions on eBay Guaranteed Delivery? Join this chat with the Shipping team and let us know.

About this chat:
This chat thread will be open from 1-2pm Pacific on Wed Feb 7th. The thread will close at 2pm, and the eBay team will continue to answer questions after the hour is up if there are questions that we do not get to during the hour. 

The topic of the chat is eBay Guaranteed Delivery - please be aware that off-topic posts will be removed. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 100
latest reply
99 REPLIES 99

Re: Community Chat, Feb 7th @ 1pm PT - eBay Guaranteed Delivery

wrote:

alan@ebay @Anonymous

Most of my members in my facebook group and meetup groups are complaining that they cannot get the post office to scan the packages  or the scan sheet at drop off. 

I am glad that eBay is taking steps to protect sellers with this issue

Can I suggest  for eBay to add some links on how to file a complaint with the USPS when they failed to scan the packages upon pick up and drop off.

Thanks for your consideration

The other problem that, even though I carry a package to the post office, stand there while they scan it, and get a receipt showing the scan time, sometimes that scan doesn't get to the USPS computer for a day or two, and I get a "scanning indicates late delivery" defect.
May I suggest that eBay should allow sellers to demostrated--by presenting a receipt--that the item was scanned on time, and remove defects caused by this problem.

Message 76 of 100
latest reply

wrote:

The June 30th is throwing off everyone
Right now under the rules if you opted into Handling time option its states ebay covers , it says nothing about until Jun 30th, What happens after June 30th?
And is ebay also covering this for the Door to Door option  which it doesn't show below ?
gte  delivery until june.JPG

Hi labs118...  the current GD policy is that if the seller has done what they need to within the program (that is if they handled on time for handle time guarantee, or delivered on time for door-to-door guarantee) then the seller is free from all "make right" costs to the buyer ie eBay covers all the costs. But if the seller is at fault then the seller covers the cost. NOW -what we are saying now is that it even if the seller is at fault eBay will cover the all costs. This is for both Handle Time and Door-to-door program. After June 30th we will revert to the current policy I explained above. I hope this is clearer.

Message 77 of 100
latest reply

Ditto what @babclassics said! That's a much-needed, often-requested capability. 

Message 78 of 100
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

I echo the question of how to get in.......seems like you are sweetening the pot.....but some of us have never been allowed in, despite signing up first time it was announced.......

Just to check on one thing.......If we adjust handling time to further out for some reason........weather, vacation, etc.  I presume when the handle time is adjusted back to comply, the items will be put back in search.......there's no having to opt back in? 

@dhbookds Hi - We're working to expand the program to many more seller in the next couple months. Please do keep an eye out for that news. Regarding your handling time question, you are correct - once you reset your handling time to same- or 1-day, your listings will automatically be part of GD again as long as they meet the other listing requirements. No need to re-opt in. 

Just so you REALLy understand............it's been what 4-5 months of promising that more would be let in, while those that are let in, certainly have an advantage over those that aren't.  It's probably cost some of us some sales.  Now you are coming in touting an even better deal and asking that more people sign up, while expecting those that have already signed up to wait longer.  ........NOT A GOOD SELLER RELATIONS MOVE in my opinion.........

Message 79 of 100
latest reply

The problem is, as explained Monday by a CSR, that eBay uses a 3rd-party report for the shipping data.  If the seller is vigilant, he/she can catch the screw-ups.  But really, should a seller have to catch eBay's own mistakes so often?

Worse, we have an anchor store and one of the major perks is a Customer Service department which speaks English as first language and is actually HELPFUL and effective!  Most sellers do not enjoy that level of service at all.

~M

Message 80 of 100
latest reply

eBay Guaranteed Delivery or Guaranteed Delivery is such a bad name. Why not Fast Delivery or Quick Delivery or Primer or Primest delivery as ebay seems to be mirroring another site.

The CEO of ebay said "In the US a package is delivered average in 2 days, for ebay"

With the word "Guarantee" If I need a birthday gift by a certain day I will be expecting it by that day, I want the item and not a coupon or free return. Buyers will see that date an the word Guarantee and expect the item on time.

Neither Ebay or the seller can Guarantee it will arrive and everyone knows ebay metrics are not very good. I had 60% of items not arrive by ebays estimated delivery date 6 days before Christmas.

That is not a good buying experience for buyers and will make people wary of buying from ebay sellers in the future.

"If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful.

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 81 of 100
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Was asked to post this as seller cannot be here due to Appointment
Can someone look at this thread about glitch with guaranteed delivery
Thank you
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Guaranteed-Delivery-new-glitch-2-7/m-p/28088898#M1143424

@labs118 Thank you for sharing this issue. We apologize for this glitch and appreciate the time you've put into making your listings eligible for GD. We have just raised this to our Product team as well to reach a resolution. 

Message 82 of 100
latest reply

So After June 30th things will change again unless Ebay fixes this program.  Opt out looks to be a better deal for us.

We currently use delivery time side of it.

We already ship same day before 12 noon est and or same day If said item was sold packaged and USPS, Fedex or UPS have not been here yet.

We are seeing major conflicts with delivery times with what is stated and what actually happens.

As a example:

Item bought on a saturday to a buyer in Blacksburg SC. Item left monday went to Blackburgs on tuesday then shows up wednesday in CALIFORNIA!! Then back to blacksburg on friday and delivered.

Who ya gonna blame on that??

Message 83 of 100
latest reply

so this June 30th change is NOT limited to handling time, but also includes the door to door sellers? that's not the way the announcement reads...
Message 84 of 100
latest reply

wrote:

I have tracking that is scanned every day for two weeks and is" in Transit to destination".  So do I tell my customer about guaranteed delivery or does the buyer already know?  I offer one day shipping.

Thanks.

HI Jappyme... the buyer will already know about it - if the buyer wishes to claim late delivery theyre automatically given the option to make claim with guaranteed delivery - for either free return, or claim back of ship costs if there were any. If shippnig was free ebay will give the buyer a $5 coupon. Thanks

Message 85 of 100
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

The June 30th is throwing off everyone
Right now under the rules if you opted into Handling time option its states ebay covers , it says nothing about until Jun 30th, What happens after June 30th?
And is ebay also covering this for the Door to Door option  which it doesn't show below ?
gte  delivery until june.JPG

Hi labs118...  the current GD policy is that if the seller has done what they need to within the program (that is if they handled on time for handle time guarantee, or delivered on time for door-to-door guarantee) then the seller is free from all "make right" costs to the buyer ie eBay covers all the costs. But if the seller is at fault then the seller covers the cost. NOW -what we are saying now is that it even if the seller is at fault eBay will cover the all costs. This is for both Handle Time and Door-to-door program. After June 30th we will revert to the current policy I explained above. I hope this is clearer.

@greg_shipping

Yes Thanks I think this is what is confusing alot of people about the June 30th posted remark
 I think many believe after June 30th they are not sure who will pay even if seller does everything on time expected

Message 86 of 100
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:
Hi Alan
Will there be a chat about the new payment processor? People are upset.
Off topic but important! Thank you!

Hi @mg152

It is off-topic but I'll let this one fly considering the news. We're not going to have a dedicated chat on the topic, but we'll be happy to join in any existing threads. Tag us and we'll see what info we can provide. 

Thanks!

@alan can you show us the people we should be tagging?  and is it just putting alan@ebay  in the message?

@you just put an @ and then type our username and select them from the pop-up box. 

The best people to tag for general questions are:

alan@ebay

trinton@ebay

brian.t@ebay

tyler@ebay

Thank you very much for that info.

I see there are 4 men listed, is there a woman I could contact? 

"If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful.

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 87 of 100
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:
Hi Alan
Will there be a chat about the new payment processor? People are upset.
Off topic but important! Thank you!

Hi @mg152

It is off-topic but I'll let this one fly considering the news. We're not going to have a dedicated chat on the topic, but we'll be happy to join in any existing threads. Tag us and we'll see what info we can provide. 

Thanks!

@alan can you show us the people we should be tagging?  and is it just putting alan@ebay  in the message?

@you just put an @ and then type our username and select them from the pop-up box. 

The best people to tag for general questions are:

alan@ebay

trinton@ebay

brian.t@ebay

tyler@ebay

Thank you very much for that info.

I see there are 4 men listed, is there a woman I could contact? 

While I'm all about the equal opportunity and the power of women, my question would have to by why in this case?

These four guys are awesome and VERY well informed.  It is a GREAT team that have brought many answer to all of us here and some FANTASTIC customer service !!!

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 88 of 100
latest reply

This is just a sugestion, but it would go a long way with sellers like myself who are leary of eBay's estimated delivery dates that buyer's are seeing, and the fact that a seller's Late Shipment Rate Metrics are based on another unseen formula that is generated by eBay themselves, but which seller's will be judged by.

DELIVERY DATE: eBay figures this out for you and guarantees the delivery date

Make the estimated Delivery Date shown provided by eBay to the buyer, for the service that they selected at the time that they made the purchase apart of the official eBay "Sales Record", for each transaction so that every seller who is participating in the Guaranteed Delivery Program will have an official time stamp that they will be able to reference should a delivery be called into question, and that seller then has to call eBay customer service, and review the details of the transaction.

Manage edit sales record   eBay Seller Hub.png

Because currently the original eBay Estimated Delivery Date is removed from the "Order Details" page, once an item is delivered.

eBay  Order details(2).png

eBay  Order details(3).png

I apologize for being a skeptic but eBay's past actions have proven that the goal post often times will get moved further back when ever eBay feels it is necessary, and often time without any fore warning or announcement.

Message 89 of 100
latest reply

Hi babclassics..  thanks for you question. In the first phase we kept the seller list very small as we rolled out at the end of last year. Reason being that such a big program coming out at such a busy time of year could have the wrong impact if too many sellers were involved. Doing so has helped us fix a number of bugs, and take feedback on what needs to change. Now specifically to your question - the first phase of sellers was mostly limited to businesses with history of perfect shipping, and also the type of shipipng options those sellers had available. In the next phase we will welcome sellers with an average of over 100 transactions per year and good shipping record. Hope this is clearer. Thank you.

why the heck can't you tell us that kind of stuff in the beginning? 

Message 90 of 100
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: