cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, Aug 16th @ 1pm PT - General Topics

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Community, 

Please join us here for our weekly Community chat at 1 pm Pacific on Wednesday 8/16. There isn't a set topic this week so feel free to ask us your eBay buying & selling questions. 

Speak with you then! 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

Re: Community Chat, Aug 16th @ 1pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

ebay's policy page about "immediate payment" was recently changed to state:

"Immediate payment is automatically required on items priced below $1000, that have a specified shipping cost, and where PayPal is the only payment method offered."

This seems to be a "phased rollout", so not all qualifying listings have had the IP rule imposed. But ebay somehow puts it on the listing, it is not a choice the seller makes.

For fixed price listings to be eligible for the Guaranteed Delivery program, they must be "immediate payment"  Some sellers have said they will stay out of the program because they do not want to add immediate payment to their listings. But according to this, they might as well opt in to the GD program, because all their listings will soon  be immediate payment by default.

The reason sellers don't want to use immediate payment is because (in my experience)  the "request invoice" checkout box is grayed out if the items have IP chosen by the seller (and the items do not have free shipping)  But ebay has said that it is NOT grayed out if the IP is the result of the rollout (ebay imposed IP).

IF that is true, then presumably once the roll out has been completed, a buyer should always be able to request a combined shipping invoice for IP items under $1000. This would eliminate an objection some sellers have to using GD: because they sell multiples to many of their buyers, and so they don't use IP to avoid the grayed out checkout problem, and so they don't qualify. But soon their items will all be IP whether they like it or not. And as long as the buyer can request a combined invoice, that won't be a problem, and they can use GD. 

So, my question is: 
1. When will the new $1,000 be rolled out to all qualifying listings?
2. Once it is rolled out, will buyers be able to request an invoice for multiple purchases from the same seller through the checkout's "request invoice" button?

This question was asked during the recent GD program webinar, but neither Griff nor the GD team member knew the answer. In fact, Griff admitted he had never heard of the $1000 rule, which has never been the subject of a formal announcement on the Announcement Board.

An additional question I would have by the way they reworded this policy.   "Immediate payment is automatically required on items priced below $1000, that have a specified shipping cost, and where PayPal is the only payment method offered."  So does this mean that if we offer Free shipping that the IPR will not be forced on our BIN listings?

Great question @mam98031 - 'Free' is considered a specified cost, so that wouldn't quite work in the way you're looking for. 

Darn it.  I had so hoped your answer would be different!!!

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 61 of 67
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@imagizeyourworld wrote:

Please clarify how the eBay system sees the handling time in the following two types of (fictional/example) situations, for the purposes of determining on-time shipping and tracking upload:

(1) The seller changes a Fixed Price Multi-Quantity listing from 1-day to 5-day handling because they will be out of town for a few days. They receive some orders during this time. When they return, they change the handling time back to 1-day.

* Does the system correctly identify the handling time for each order, based on what the setting was at the time the order was placed?

* Or does it "check the listing" at the time it's doing the calculating.

I have seen seller "testimonials" for both outcomes, so I would like some clarification on which way the system is "intended" to work.

(2) The buyer purchases several items (from the same seller) together, and they have different handling times. (The buyer receives a shipping and/or promotional discount for combining the items into one order to be shipped together in one package.)

* Does the system correctly treat all items in that order as having the longest handling time from among those items?

* Or is each item evaluated by its own handling time (resulting in 1-day items being considered late when the order can't ship that soon due to the nature and handling time of the other items it contains)?

Thank you. Smiley Happy

Happy to help, @imagizeyourworldgrinning

1. The system does correctly identify the handling time for the order when it took place. If anything sells after you adjust the handling time to 5-days, you would have the 5 business-days to ship. Once you edit it back, then you would need to ship in 1 business-day again.
  2. You would want to ship all of the items in the shorter handling time for protection. If the other items take longer to get ready for shipment and that's why the handling time is extended, I would suggest shipping them separate to prevent any misses on your shipping metrics.

Message 62 of 67
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@tunicaslot wrote:

no disrepect dk - but every article I've read about the new goole security features says the same thing as Trinton does. If you google it there are many articles pertaining to this change coming up and why google is doing it. If they don't feel the web site is secure - they'll tell you that and Ebay could lose a lot of new and old buyers.

None taken, tuni, except he stated:

If these are not compliant in the future, US registered sellers may find that their listings contain the "See full item description" button.

What happens to the rest of the world? Do they see their pages normally?

And surely any http link in the description could simply be changed to https when rendering, and if it's not supported, oh well .....

ANYTHING would be better than having to click yet another link to see the listing I clicked to see the link on in the first place. And then to have no reference back to the original listing (or even referencing anything in the original listing in the description page) is just poor design.

Hey @d-k_treasures, it looks like you asked about how the rest of the world will be impacted last week, so please go here to review the answer.

Additionally, http cannot simply be rendered as https when the source material is not on a secure server. These issues can be avoided if a seller updates their listings to be compliant, however if they do not do so we will implement the See full item description button to minimize the risk of unsecure data and to avoid concerning warning messages being displayed to buyers using Google Chrome.

Message 63 of 67
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Why is this embarassing 'See full description' button still showing on regular web pages?

Not shocked there isn't a 'tell us what you think' link - otherwise your cup would runneth over.

Hi @d-k_treasures - It looks like tyler@ebay provided an answer in last week's chat regarding this. Please visit: http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Community-Chat-Aug-9th-1pm-PT-General-Topics/m-p/27330137#M12904 for more info.

I know he did - but I'm not really buying that as a reason.

Hi @d-k_treasures,

I can confirm that Tyler shared the correct information last week and that Heidi would not have shared it if it were incorrect.

Thank you. 

@may I am confused.  Probably but after reading what @tyler said last week it sound like we will have some homework to get out listing in compliance with an external search engine?  I am not even sure how to make out pictures and descriptions HTTPS compliant, but what I think will happen when this goes live is our pictures and descriptions and anything else we have to make HTTPS complint will not be searchable by external search engines.  This sounds just the opposite of what @tyler has mentioned, which we have to do this for google and any other external search engine, which seems completely backwards to me as we would be putting blocks on the external search engines to crawl our listing in order to include them in search results.

I am sure I am not reading this correctly but if I am that means you are doing this to block google and others from crawling the ebay listings for inclusion in there own search engine results.

Please tell me I am wrong with my thoughts or that I am right with the direction?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 64 of 67
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:
Thanks Tyler. So are you saying that, until this rolls out to all the listings, my FP listings with IP chosen by me will NOT be able to request a total through check out's "request total" button?

Since you don't have a date for 100% rollout, wouldn't it be wise to synchronize the two rollouts, the $1000 IP rule and the GD program, so that by the time the GD program is up and running, IP listings will be able to request a total through checkout?

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques - That makes a lot of sense. I'll make sure the suggestion/feedback is shared! 🙂

Yes, if you require immediate payment on your items currently, there should not be an option for buyers to request total (if that happens will you grab one of us in a thread so we can take a look?). 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 65 of 67
latest reply

The thread is now closed. We'll stick around and answer any questions that we haven't got to yet. 

Thanks for joining us and have a great rest of the week. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 66 of 67
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@goodluckselling wrote:

alan@ebay wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Why is this embarassing 'See full description' button still showing on regular web pages?

Not shocked there isn't a 'tell us what you think' link - otherwise your cup would runneth over.

Hi @d-k_treasures - It looks like tyler@ebay provided an answer in last week's chat regarding this. Please visit: http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Community-Chat-Aug-9th-1pm-PT-General-Topics/m-p/27330137#M12904 for more info.

I know he did - but I'm not really buying that as a reason.

Hi @d-k_treasures,

I can confirm that Tyler shared the correct information last week and that Heidi would not have shared it if it were incorrect.

Thank you. 

@may I am confused.  Probably but after reading what @tyler said last week it sound like we will have some homework to get out listing in compliance with an external search engine?  I am not even sure how to make out pictures and descriptions HTTPS compliant, but what I think will happen when this goes live is our pictures and descriptions and anything else we have to make HTTPS complint will not be searchable by external search engines.  This sounds just the opposite of what @tyler has mentioned, which we have to do this for google and any other external search engine, which seems completely backwards to me as we would be putting blocks on the external search engines to crawl our listing in order to include them in search results.

I am sure I am not reading this correctly but if I am that means you are doing this to block google and others from crawling the ebay listings for inclusion in there own search engine results.

Please tell me I am wrong with my thoughts or that I am right with the direction?

Good Luck Selling!

Hi @goodluckselling - I just wanted to clarify that this change is required to be compliant with Google as a browser, not as a search engine. Google Chrome won't work with eBay unless we move to HTTPS web pages. 

I would recommend visiting this other reply of Tyler's: http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Community-Chat-Aug-9th-1pm-PT-General-Topics/m-p/27330193#M12913 where he gives some tools that can help set you up for success.

Message 67 of 67
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: