cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Search Engine is Freaking Out!

The search engine was working just fine until today. Before it would display listings with search words in the TITLE ONLY. Now it's displaying thousands of unwanted listings with search words in the title OR description text, no matter how insignificant. Anyone else having this problem???

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: eBay Search Engine is Freaking Out!

Yep clearing cache on Chrome works for me to

Message 16 of 51
latest reply

I had the same problem today and contacted ebay.

They told me everything looked fine at their end and to try the clear cache/cookies/try another browser routine.

So I said, I appreciate how that works, but that wouldn't explain why ebay has sent me emails for my followed searches with items that don't match any of my search words!

So after I sent them the ebay emails they agreed there was a problem that they would investigate.

8 hours later, without clearing my cache or my cookies or using a different browser I tried a search, back to normal.

It doesn't happen very often, it is annoying, and it must cost ebay a lot of money if buyers can't find what they want and sellers lose sales.

I'm reminded of the game where you try to type two words into google and get only one hit (I bet thats almost inpossible these days)  Type two words into ebay and only get one result.

Message 17 of 51
latest reply

Still having problems for me - what a mess.  How long has ebay been in business - a few weeks?  - time to move on, I've been purchasing more and more elsewhere. 

Message 18 of 51
latest reply

eBay get your act together.

This (broken) search behaviour is unacceptable!!!!

Message 19 of 51
latest reply

Same here... I've cleared browser, etc. and still getting junk results.  C'mon eBay!

Message 20 of 51
latest reply

I'm still having that same problem.  Over a thousand items show up for searches that should only have 10 or so.  If I refresh, the number of items changes randomly.  Strange.

Message 21 of 51
latest reply

Yes, same issue!   I've been attempting a fix using advanced tool with no luck.

Message 22 of 51
latest reply

Same issue here. It will randomly search title + description. I even caught it using Fiddler. The URL from request 1 exactly matches request 2, but request 2 has many times more results due to something on eBay's end causing it to search descriptions.

Message 23 of 51
latest reply

You are 100% correct - searches return thousands of useless results unless opened in a private window.

Fix this Ebay!

Message 24 of 51
latest reply

Just on a wim, tried my Ebay app on my phone and everything is normal.  So it may just be on my desktop.  I use Firefox, so it may just be that browser.

Message 25 of 51
latest reply

Same for me. Just perfect for eBay to do this on Pay Day weekend when buyers are looking to spend.

In addition their re-targeting ads on sites such as Facebook are returning complete junk that I have not looked at and have no interest in rather than the items I have viewed previously.

Message 26 of 51
latest reply

This is also affecting my daily search email results....

Something is systematically wrong!!!!

Message 27 of 51
latest reply

I need to be able to sort auction listings by items ending soonest, I need to confine my searches to a specific category, collectibles, and I need to be able to search by exact word. Without those abilities, I am unable to add listings to my watch list, and therefore, I am unable to buy.  I do not have time to sort through THOUSANDS of listings on a daily basis, most of which have absolutely nothing to do with my interests.  Best Match seems to be functioning the best right now, as it will at least narrow down quantity of hits and put mostly relevant items first, but without the ability to also sort by items ending soonest or newly listed, a person will be forced to have to look at many of the same items, in my case about 7,000 items, over and over again each day instead of the short list that I am looking for.  I am hoping this is a temporary glitch, and that eBay gets it fixed ASAP.  Until then, I guess I will be forced to stop shopping!   I can also foresee a potential drop in my sales which, of course, is not acceptable.  The last morning I was able to search properly was Thursday.  

Message 28 of 51
latest reply

Mine is doing the same thing. Makes searching a pain. calling ebay did not help. Agree-fix it.

Message 29 of 51
latest reply

Seeing all of the above problems. BEST MATCH does restore some sanity.

Message 30 of 51
latest reply