cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are all of my images so small?

All of my images have an extra amount of padding or gray space around them when I look at them in my store. The product images I uploaded on eBay do not have this extra space! Why is eBay adding extra padding around the product? It's making the item hard to see details. My items look like they are floating in the far distance!  See screenshot below.

Is anyone else seeing this on their listings? Does anyone know if eBay is aware of this issue? Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Best -

threetabbycats

2023-09-29_14-10-27.png

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Why are all of my images so small?

Hooray for the storefront being back to normal!

But yes @wastingtime101 , when I do a search using the storefront search bar, it returns the same tiny images with the huge gray space. If I use the categories sidebar to narrow down, those images look normal.

For as long as I can recall, any searches I do on the main eBay site always return the small images/large gray box. Doesn't seem quite as small as the storefronts were looking, but pretty close. It looks junky. I never did understand why it was designed that way. Just accepted it, I guess, until it affected me directly... 

Message 31 of 45
latest reply

Same, store normal search images are small

Message 32 of 45
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Images are back to normal on store home front, but sadly I'm now seeing the gigantic space around them in gallery search view like some others posted screenshots of above. Pictures are shrunk down to nothing.

Anybody else seeing these changes?

@threetabbycats @shipscript @little.luxe.armoire @cottage-ware @selsa84 

Can we get an official word on this kyle@ebay ?

Yes, I am seeing what you describe.

Message 33 of 45
latest reply

Same here. Storefront is back to normal, but the gallery view still looks horrible.

Message 34 of 45
latest reply

@threetabbycats wrote:

Resending because I didn't' link the tags in my earlier message.

Hi would any of you tagged below be able to please get the technical and or design team to look at this? Nobody likes these small images on the storefront or in gallery view. It looks terrible.

seller_update@ebay

kyle@ebay

elizabeth@ebay

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. This is really ugly!

Thanks!

Hey @threetabbycats and @wastingtime101 thanks for bringing this to our attention!  I see from later posts that the storefront is back to normal, so that's good.  But we still went ahead and reported this for the gallery view.  We'll be sure to pass along any updates we receive!  

Kyle,
eBay
Message 35 of 45
latest reply

Well, I learned something I didn't know before! I was poking around in old message threads and learned that in your search results, if you go to the upper corner and click the pulldown menu by the lines...:

Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 1.45.15 PM.png

...you can change the thumbnail size! 

Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 1.41.41 PM.png

I think the storefront pictures were a completely separate issue that seems to have started/been resolved with no changes on our part, but I had no idea you could change the thumbnail size in search results manually. Hope this helps others.

Message 36 of 45
latest reply

Yep, but at least for me, even when I select the largest size, the images are still small.

Message 37 of 45
latest reply

Darn...hoped that would solve the issue like it did for me...

Message 38 of 45
latest reply

Nope, changing thumbnail size didn't help, but thanks for the suggestion. It was worth trying.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 39 of 45
latest reply

@little.luxe.armoire wrote:

...you can change the thumbnail size! 

Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 1.41.41 PM.png

To demonstrate, my default thumbnail size has always been large. This screenshot shows the difference between small-medium-large thumbnails. You can see the large setting isn't even close to filling out the space. This was taken with Safari browser. Tagging kyle@ebay in case this helps his interactions with the product team.

galleryview-imagesize-mycottagebooks.png

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 40 of 45
latest reply

So.. Seems like this is still an issue and I found a fix 😎

Since eBay is notorious for just continuously building on itself without getting rid of old coding... 

1. Go to your search results and click on the little drop-down menu, then click on Customize

animestickers_0-1699914776118.png

2. Ignore all the settings up top and click on Restore defaults

animestickers_1-1699914854561.png

This will magically turn all the images to large sizes with no grey cushioning

3. Re-select whether you want your results to show in List or Thumbnail format (if it changed).

Message 41 of 45
latest reply

Appreciate the suggestion (nearly identical suggestion was posted upthread a few posts, but it's not working for many of us. Hopefully it will help some who find this discussion!

GLORIOUS!

Message 42 of 45
latest reply

The nearly identical suggestion was to "select the largest size of the thumbnails"
That didn't work for me either. Restoring default settings did though.

Message 43 of 45
latest reply

Unfortunately not for me. As soon as I switched back to gallery view after restoring defaults (and saving), the gray border was there.

GLORIOUS!

Message 44 of 45
latest reply

This is great, BUT, what about all the protentional buyers who will still see the tiny images! This still needs a fix for THAT!

Message 45 of 45
latest reply