cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three video ads per page hijacking computers of those trying to surf eBay

CONGRATULATIONS on making eBay practically unusable, unless you're willing to listen to the cooling fan of your computer revving up and down as these ENDLESS ads just KEEP ON going.  ENDLESS page freezes.  NOTHING can be done to end this short of closing all eBay pages.  You get to just sit there and mull over how long it will be before your cooling fan is worn out and you'll need a new computer, thanks to eBay.  I suppose this was an executive level decision - the number of people who will now avoid eBay, the people who USED to keep eBay pages open as they went about their business, but now will not, and so on, with the consequent diminution of sales revenue, versus the ad revenue garnered by  damaging their computers into the bargain.  Thanks eBay!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Three video ads per page hijacking computers of those trying to surf eBay

Since beginning of December I have seen a noticeable drop on my sales. I do notsell in  volume, just a dozen or so items per month but going to just 4/5 a month was not what I was expecting. I just figured people are not much into my items at this time of the year, more electronics, toys, etc... but then I read on some of the on going threads about the ads, other sellers noticing problems with the search, listings, etc.. perhaps all is due to the ads, so if no solution is found and sales do not pick up, time to move on as soon as my store subscription is up. They can keep the ads if they like them more than sellers.

In the meantime if ads totally annoying to us... let's make it annoying to them. I know they won't care, they agre hungry for money and that's the bottom line, but each page has on the top the... "tell us about his page".

So if we all take a minute a day to copy/paste the same complain about the ads, "may be" they will do something when they get flooded with complains. It's worth a try I am doing it, as the ads blockers work sporadically is not a solution.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

try ad block, works for me

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I did,  It works on some of them, some of the time.  The video ads moreover do NOT respond to their "controls" and keep on playing even after you've hit the stop button, or right mouse click and then hit "pause".

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Since beginning of December I have seen a noticeable drop on my sales. I do notsell in  volume, just a dozen or so items per month but going to just 4/5 a month was not what I was expecting. I just figured people are not much into my items at this time of the year, more electronics, toys, etc... but then I read on some of the on going threads about the ads, other sellers noticing problems with the search, listings, etc.. perhaps all is due to the ads, so if no solution is found and sales do not pick up, time to move on as soon as my store subscription is up. They can keep the ads if they like them more than sellers.

In the meantime if ads totally annoying to us... let's make it annoying to them. I know they won't care, they agre hungry for money and that's the bottom line, but each page has on the top the... "tell us about his page".

So if we all take a minute a day to copy/paste the same complain about the ads, "may be" they will do something when they get flooded with complains. It's worth a try I am doing it, as the ads blockers work sporadically is not a solution.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@po_bob wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS on making eBay practically unusable, unless you're willing to listen to the cooling fan of your computer revving up and down as these ENDLESS ads just KEEP ON going.  ENDLESS page freezes.  NOTHING can be done to end this short of closing all eBay pages.  You get to just sit there and mull over how long it will be before your cooling fan is worn out and you'll need a new computer, thanks to eBay.  I suppose this was an executive level decision - the number of people who will now avoid eBay, the people who USED to keep eBay pages open as they went about their business, but now will not, and so on, with the consequent diminution of sales revenue, versus the ad revenue garnered by pissing everybody right the hell off and damaging their computers into the bargain.  Thanks eBay!

I would guess that you are infected with malware targetting eBay. Here is a copy of a post I made a while ago.

Install free AdBlockPlus to block most ads in your browser. I have used it for years and many eBay members too. It works for eBay and other web sites.

www.adblockplus.org

I would also suggest getting free CCleaner and set to run on startup to clean your computer. Install the free version. Make sure to set it to clean all files including those within the past 24 hours (an option to set).

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

I would also suggest installing free malwarebytes to scan your computer for malware. This program is for malware only and catches many things that virus programs do not. Run once a month or so to check your computer. Install the free version.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

I have had all three installed for years as well as a internet suite for anti-virus and have had minimal issues. I still managed to get a virus in the past 10 years a couple of times (from photobucket through their banner ads that ran Adobe Flash, I disable flash now and only turn on when I want for a site. You may want to disable Adobe Flash as well and enable only when needed).

Try the above and report back if it helps.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

It amazes me that people blame eBay for their computer problems. It's NOT eBay... I've never had a single pop-up or ad page appear... pages load instantly and are clutter free. But the, of course, I have my antivirus/adblocker programs up and running. And that's ALL you need to do.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO INSTALL ANYTHING MECHENG!

I would love to meet the crackhead that thought playing three video ads on a page at the same time is a great way to increase revenue ...  These ads are unwatchable  ... and its slowing me down ... someone should be FIRED over this horrible idea !

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Just loaded Adblockplus after reading your message, and there is a remarkable improvement. Speed increased and pages load faster.

I have Windows 7 and Firefox

Just bought Norton antivirus

Thank you

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@mecheng wrote:

It amazes me that people blame eBay for their computer problems. It's NOT eBay... I've never had a single pop-up or ad page appear... pages load instantly and are clutter free. But the, of course, I have my antivirus/adblocker programs up and running. And that's ALL you need to do.

Well... sorry if we are dumb! I have Windows Defender, Anti Malware programs, adblocker and System Mechanic Pro... The same programs that for years have kept my computer (with the necessary updates) running great in all sites.

Ebay starts using the ads and voila! Now I have to install antivirus/adblockers... thanks for the advice.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

My computer is acting weird when I visit ebay. It is like  video sound starts and abruptly stops. I see no pop-ups and I can't pin point where it's coming from. It  reminds me of a virus.

Only happens on ebay.  

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Wow! Thank you for the info. I downloaded ABP and wish I learned about it sooner. Amazing difference. You rock!!

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

No, I have all that "prevention" too, but just recently all my news sites (Guardian, CNN, MSNBC, Reuters) have these videos that cannot be stopped and make my computer ramp up so hard I quit the site. I stop searching items on Ebay when it gets bad & slows all functions, so sellers will indeed lose some business. I'm sure Ebay makes more on the advertisers. For me this gives me more motivation to spend a little more & buy local to support community businesses
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply