cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No option to leave negative feedback for a buyer

For some time now, I've noticed I only have a "Positive" button when leaving feedback for buyers.  There is no way for me to leave negative feedback.  Clearly this is an issue.  How can this be resolved?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

It can't be.

You cannot leave a buyer negative feedback.

And using a positive feedback to say something negative is not permitted.

You can report a buyer, and there are a list of reasons to choose from.  But choose the one that is appropriate, don't report just to report, as that's frowned on.

gator08041971_0-1710614350101.png

Good luck.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

@iamkim16-1 

the 'some time now' has been since 2008 and it will NEVER change. 

This is a selling venue that makes money when buyers buy so the LAST thing the site wants to do is allow sellers to 'badmouth' sellers, which may 'chase' them off. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Thanks, but that can't possibly be true because I've only been selling since 2017 and I have most definitely left negative feedback before.  In addition, I can see negative feedback on the same buyer I'd like to leave negative feedback for, and it is recent.  Same issue -- the buyer didn't pay and then responded to emails with gibberish.  But thanks anyway.  I guess I'll just cancel the order for non-payment and be done with it.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

It is true. And it may have been changed before 2007.

Retaliatory negative FB was a major deterrent to buying on Ebay, and Ebay took a long time to realize that it was a hindrance to their growth.

Since sellers cannot use FB to pre-screen buyers, negative FB for buyers has no benefit to anyone. Not that negative FB for sellers has much benefit either.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@iamkim16-1 wrote:

Thanks, but that can't possibly be true because I've only been selling since 2017 and I have most definitely left negative feedback before.  In addition, I can see negative feedback on the same buyer I'd like to leave negative feedback for, and it is recent.  Same issue -- the buyer didn't pay and then responded to emails with gibberish.  But thanks anyway.  I guess I'll just cancel the order for non-payment and be done with it.

You may have left a negative for a Seller, but NOT for a buyer. If you think you have, you are mistaken. Since 2017- NEVER been ABLE to. 

The 'recent' feedback you are seeing for this person is 'AS A SELLER'- just click the 'as a buyer' and 'as a seller' and you will see the difference of 'this' person. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

And negative comments left with a positive feedback to a buyer get removed by eBay.

It was a 2008 change as mentioned above.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

For some time now, sellers have only been able to leave positive feedback for buyers.

There's no issue and nothing to resolve.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@iamkim16-1 wrote:

I started selling in 2011 and you couldn't leave negative feedback for buyers then.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Clearly this is an issue.  How can this be resolved?

@iamkim16-1 

^^^ You can't fight not being able to leave a buyer bad feedback, so the short answer is to get over it.

Now... a non-payer, you can resolve. Cancel the order for non-payment. That's pretty empowering. Good luck.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Negative Feedback button for a buyer....block buyer button.

And realistically, would you want all buyers and sellers to see negative feedback you left for a buyer...

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

1. You have 30 days to cancel, citing "buyer did not pay" as your reason.

2. Sellers have not been allowed to leave neg FB for buyers for at least 10 years, maybe more.

3. If you, as a seller, left negative for a buyer, then perhaps it was removed (and you would have received a defect for that infraction).

4. Be sure to set your buyer requirements so that a buyer with two unpaid cases in 12 months cannot bid or buy from you.

Hope there are not any other eBay rules that are not familiar to you.  

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for the feedback.  Obviously I was wrong, as so many of you have pointed out.  Glad that is all sorted out!  I will cancel the sale and make sure my settings are set as instructed.  Thanks again!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply