cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

double & triple posts

What in the world is going on ????

I am seeing double & triple posts all over the boards (Pottery & Glass, Collectibles, and even Home & Garden)

I can't imagine the OP's doing this.  Is our eager new Moderator now re-placing posts on every board imaginable ??

Don't know about you, but when I spend valuable time on a post that has 0 replies, trying to i.d. the item, and then find that it has been i.d.' ed on another board, it really frustrates me.

Best, Linda

................................................................................................................
If you're always cracking up, and you're always breaking down, don't deal in glassware
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

double & triple posts

Sometimes people do post on more than one board, and they don't have the courtesy to go back and say when they've received a solution.  Also, yes, the moderators seem to be superfluous to requirements, as my husband says.  Don't be surprised if this slightly off-topic post gets pulled!  It's all a lot less fun than it used to be.

Janet

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

double & triple posts

I might have sinned in this way, but in my defence, it can be quite hard to find one's own posts again. The Apple dot com forums have an easy way to view your own content but eBay doesn't unless maybe using Advanced Search.
By all means, it is kind of you to post an ID that you know immediately or is in a book that is to hand, but should you spend a lot of time on unpaid researching for strangers? I have once or twice when the item needing ID interested me but some boardies spend hours using up their data googling rubbish that even when fully identified is only worth a hundred pennies.
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

double & triple posts

Dear PillarBoxRed:

I totally agree with what you are saying... No, I do not spend a whole lot of time researching for others. I either already know it, or can find it quickly.

The real fustration is actually navigating these boards and the time it takes to reply.

I truly was just in a funk that day when I decided to post... We should just put this post to bed and forget it.

Best, Linda

................................................................................................................
If you're always cracking up, and you're always breaking down, don't deal in glassware
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

double & triple posts

It is annoying, I agree. I do believe that a lot of folks have absolutely no idea how to find their posts (or how easy it is to do) and so they start another one on the same subject.

But the mods could be guilty as well.
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

double & triple posts

Just a suggestion, from another apple forum user - once you sign in here, it's very easy to see if anyone has answered your post, or you can go to your "my settings" and find all your subscriptions. Signing in makes things easier.

Another thing you can do is just bookmark the page once you've posted your question - then you can get right to it.

I personally love doing research ... of any kind but especially antiques - it's never a waste for me because I usually learn something new. I will admit that I am sometimes very surprised at the items people ask about that are obviously not worth the time or effort - of researching or selling!
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

double & triple posts

Hi Linda,

Hope it didn't happen with my post that you gently and accurately replied with an ID to it.

It happens to me and most probably to others...is not clear how to get to post in the correct category...I didn't find my way to the specific Pottery/Glass section and every try would take me to the same POST a QUESTION option in the General category or whatever that page where it opens is, so I posted (I believe) in the General  page that opened that allowed me to post...and from there it asked me to choose an option from a drop-down menu (so I choose "Selling question" because was the only option closer to my question...certainly not Billing, nor Shipping). Then I found a workaround by subscribing to your group and posting my question there instead.

Then again, I had another question to post but this time I didn't subscribe to a group to be able to post it in its specific category, so it post under that general one. Next, a moderator moved it and showed the link to the specific category. No idea if it remains posted also where I did originally.

The issue is, I still don't find my way to the CATEGORIES to choose from where to post, and most probably many don't neither. I don't find it it user friendly at all. It's not even user friendly to be able to read all replies to somebody's elses question unless clicking on one reply at a time....or until after different tries I finally manage to get to a page that will show all replies open in one page.

So, until I get used on how to navigate this posting system, I can't tell where my duplicate Questions ended being posted to go find and mark them as solved neither.

My apologies to all but at least know that is not that I don't care (and probably many more OPs) but the issue for this happening is of a different nature.

Please, be patient with me for any possible more duplicates...looking forward to understand how on earth get to post under a specific category only and asap.

XOXOXO

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

double & triple posts

Once you get to say, the pottery and glass board, simply add it to favorites in your browser.

Once on the board you save to favorites, you can always look here, at the top of the page: Discussion Boards, Categories, where you can see all the other boards.

Hope this makes sense and helps.
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

double & triple posts

Yes, you had your Mikasa one in several places. I am just laughing about that now. Just goes to show what a difference a day makes...

You did nothing wrong !!!!  And I thoroughly enjoyed helping you. Like I said before. It was my "cranky" day.

Best, Linda

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

double & triple posts

Trollmama...

Glad you "get it"... Thank you for your courage in saying the word Mods.

I never fault a new person for learning by experience and having bumps along the way. I really was suspecting the boards police not the OP's.

Best, Linda 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

double & triple posts

@pillarboxred wrote:
I might have sinned in this way, but in my defence, it can be quite hard to find one's own posts again. The Apple dot com forums have an easy way to view your own content but eBay doesn't unless maybe using Advanced Search...

All you have to do is be signed in, click on your own ID, and you'll see all your posts in chronological order.  In fact, anyone can click on your ID and see all your recent posts in chronological order, with an option to "View All".  It also shows if you're on-line or off-line, the images you've posted, kudos given and received, and on and so on.

Here's the screen capture ofjust part of the page I see when I click on your user id:

Screenshot from 2016-03-20 15:03:15.png

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

double & triple posts

I knew I should have added a visual ... thanks Maxine!
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

double & triple posts

Thank you. Will do so once I make it to find that specific board again LOL. 

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

double & triple posts

Awesome, thanks so much for this info Maxine*j!

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

double & triple posts

"you can go to your "my settings" and find all your subscriptions. Signing in makes things easier."....will do that also, THANK YOU!

"I will admit that I am sometimes very surprised at the items people ask about that are obviously not worth the time or effort - of researching or selling! "...I understand what you mean, but keep in mind that an item might be obviously not worth the time or effort for the knowledgeable.

On the other hand, I have learnt not to consider an item as obviously not worth the time or effort - of researching or selling unless I could confirm so first. In more than one case I have stumbled upon items that seemed to be worth nothing and happened to be worth several times what I had paid for or of not real value at all. It even happened to me with books that were let's say many listed and selling for a dollar, only thing that the one I had was the exception to the rule and the needle in the haystack.

And, in my case, even if an item ends up being of little or no value, I enjoy 2 things in the process: a) learning and b) listing the item for what it is (is good to know...and whipe out the "what if" doubt), not stating is authentic if it is a repro for example, and providing as much accurate info as I can to the prospective buyer.

Many times, the more insignificant find, that ends up being worth nothing in the monetary sense, is worth a million for a buyer in the emotional side of the spectrum. And that makes my day.

So well, I do greatly value, appreciate and thank your time and effort in helping people like me that ask about these kind of items. LOL, I'm a sinner in this sense, but kind and helpfull people like you make the difference and means a lot. Your surprise is my path to becoming more knowledgeable myself 🙂

Message 15 of 17
latest reply