Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help id makers for these 19th city oyster plates

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I looked through "Collecting Oyster Plates" by Snyder and found examples of both your plates.  The copyright date on the book is 2002.  I would take the values given with a huge grain of salt.  I would be very surprised if they would sell for anywhere near the BV cited.  When I googled "Russian Eagle oyster plate" I did find 3 listings, possible the same plate at different venues, with an asking price of over $1,000 so who know. 

I've included a photo of the plates as shown in the book  Both plates were in the section "Unidentified"

The first one is identified as "Majolica 'Russian Imperial Eagle' oyster plate, unmarked, 9" x 7" Courtesy of Camelot Antiques, Ltd. $955 -$1,095"

IMG_2003.JPG

The 2nd one is styled after a glass plate produced by Moser.  It is described as "Moser-stye glass oyster plate, unidentified 10" x 7" Courtesy of Camelot Antiques, Ltd. $495-545"  Although the description says glass, I do believe it is ceramic, possibly porcelain.  

IMG_2001 (2).JPG

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I looked through "Collecting Oyster Plates" by Snyder and found examples of both your plates.  The copyright date on the book is 2002.  I would take the values given with a huge grain of salt.  I would be very surprised if they would sell for anywhere near the BV cited.  When I googled "Russian Eagle oyster plate" I did find 3 listings, possible the same plate at different venues, with an asking price of over $1,000 so who know. 

I've included a photo of the plates as shown in the book  Both plates were in the section "Unidentified"

The first one is identified as "Majolica 'Russian Imperial Eagle' oyster plate, unmarked, 9" x 7" Courtesy of Camelot Antiques, Ltd. $955 -$1,095"

IMG_2003.JPG

The 2nd one is styled after a glass plate produced by Moser.  It is described as "Moser-stye glass oyster plate, unidentified 10" x 7" Courtesy of Camelot Antiques, Ltd. $495-545"  Although the description says glass, I do believe it is ceramic, possibly porcelain.  

IMG_2001 (2).JPG

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thank you very much I am extremely grateful

Message 3 of 3
latest reply