cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P V Italy Pottery

Hi,

I have a soup tureen and bowl that I am trying to learn more about. The pieces were given to my mom about 25-30 yrs ago. * Note- bowl is resting on a pedestal, approx. the same height as tureen.
After seeing P V Italy (more than likely) suggests that it is Peasant Village, I can't help but wonder what exactly is Peasant Village? It has the look of Deruta or Majolica (still can't figure out what is what between the two names)?? 
Does anyone know anything about P V Italy and how to determine the age/value? 
Thank you much!

Spoiler
 Sorry for the spoiler notation...must have clicked on it by accidentSmiley Surprised

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: P V Italy Pottery

Peasant Village was an import line by the Mitteldorfer Straus company of New York.  They imported pottery from several european countries. Deruta is an area in Italy where many pottery companies are located.  Majolica is a type of glazed pottery.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

This mark has had me stumped for a number of years.
There are two types of PV marks-one written, as in your example and another either impressed into the clay or printed with PV in a circle. I am now of the opinion that either mark refers to 'Peasant Village'. This was a line created for, and imported by, Mittledorfer Strauss of New York. Peasant Village pieces were made in several countries, including France, Italy, and even the U.S.

Mittledofer used the PV logo beginning in 1928 and I believe they continued to use it through the 1960's. The parent company, Mittledorfer Strauss, remained active into the 1970's.

There is no way to tell which specific factory made these pieces as the customer, (the importer in this case) refused to allow any company names or logos to be used except their own.

I find this piece particularly interest because most examples of PV pottery were characteristically of a style common to the north of Italy. There is no question, in my opinion, as to the geographical origin of this tureen. It has all the elements found in southern Italian pottery, specifically the region of Campania. The cities of the Campania include Vietri Sul Mar, Sorrento and Salerno. Pottery from here is more primitive and more colorful. This pot reminds me closely of the work of  Matteo Di Lieto of Vietri who was active from the 1950's through the 1970's. 

Walter Del Pellegrino
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thank you sooo much for your response. Although I am not Italian from birth, I grew up in an Italian restaurant (my mom a waitress and my dad did fill-in bartending).  It was so nice to be among and see the culture of immigrants and 1st generation Italians. In my early teens my mom married the son of the restaurants's owner and then I was Italian by marriage!! 
In my young adulthood I was working for an Italian, Robert Mondavi and got another taste of the heritage!
 I love Italian pottery and the stories behind it. Although I would like to sell the tureen and matching bowl, it's so nice that you shared your knowledge, much appreciated! 
Salute to you!
Grazi!
 T

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

The company was active and Peasant Village's showroom was in Manhattan up to as late as 1986 when the business closed for good (due to lack of ownership continuity and/or competition from China?). The showroom was actually decorated like a peasant village and the company's bill of sale delightfully had such a picture on it. Nothing is known today by anyone in the U.S. about the inventory number that appears with the PV logo on each piece. There are PV Italy, PV France and PV England pieces.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I just inherited a 22 place setting set of PV dinnerware pottery. It looks just like the Deruta Rooster pattern, but with musical notes coming out of the rooster's mouth. Any thoughts on who actually created this pattern for Strauss' PV line?

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I just inherited a 22 place setting set of PV dinnerware pottery. It looks just like the Deruta Rooster pattern, but with musical notes coming out of the rooster's mouth. Any thoughts on who actually created this pattern for Strauss' PV line?

Message 7 of 7
latest reply