cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with whatever this is Homemade? Bud vase? TYIA

IMG_6439.JPGIMG_6440.JPGIMG_6441.JPGIMG_6442.JPGIMG_6443.JPGIMG_6444.JPG

approx 6 1/4" tall  Is this ceramic, clay or earthenware?  Would the scratch on the bottom possibly be a maker's mark?   Is there a name for this shape and is it a bud vase?  Any ideas on the age, origin or maker?  I was thinking I see rings and that means it was turned  Do you think it is studio or homemade?  
The finish is odd, would you consider it raku?  Thank you for your help 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

all fired clays are ceramic, such as earthenware (or pottery), stonewares and porcelains.   your piece appears to be stoneware.  no homemade, I would say it was a commercial (factory production).  I would think it was a bottle.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@md1919 So I can learn Would you mind telling me what makes you think factory produced so I can maybe identify it for myself the next time Thank you so much for your help
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

it is molded, not hand thrown.  very little studio pottery is made as molded.  the glazing is common for ceramic bottles for a long time.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Ahh ok, I'm trying to learn I thought I saw rings! lol

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

yes, but rings are not a definite sign of hand thrown.  the main question is: is it important to know whether the piece is molded or hand thrown?  generally not as neither adds or takes away from whatever value there is.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Just thowing out an opinion based on the base pics and the siggie, this does appear to be a relatively contemporary piece of studio pottery (stoneware).

As a long ago fledgling potter, there are many nuances of hand thrown / mold turned (hand turning the clay within an external form), slab constructured then hand finished / anyway, you get the point, it's almost endless. 

The throwing rings on the underside foot do appear to indicate that this bottle / vase was hand turned, with or without an external form.  Closer inspection of the exterior and interior surfaces would give you a better idea (see turning rings on the interior surface?).

IMHO, it has essentially no collectible value, merely asthetic.  

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I thought I SW rings on the exterior as well. Hard to tell the interior since the hole is so small. I'm trying to learn more about ceesmics and totally appreciate everyone's help

Message 8 of 8
latest reply