cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me describe this pitcher(?) please?

I know nothing about pottery, can't find anything quite comparable. Is this stoneware? Is this a pitcher or a jug? I'm at a loss.

The inside is smooth. 

Also, any idea on the signature?

thanks!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Help me describe this pitcher(?) please?

Likely studio pottery, and the signature could be whatever you want it to read. There is so much pottery out there that identificaiton may not be possible. Could be new imported from wherever. Value likely is near zero, or at least very close. The glaze I would call drip glazed with runs. One other thought is that just because it is signed, doesn't mean it was signed when it was made. Anyone can use a black marker and sign it. Just something to think about when one is tempted to think that a signature adds value.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

..........as to stoneware question.......No, this isn't stoneware. Stoneware is thick walled and heavy, such as crocks, jugs, or other utilitarian ware. This is pottery, like studio, and likely very new.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

You can tell that the signature was put on with a modern felt-tip marker.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

IMHO, might be worth looking at French / Belgian pottery with crystalline flambe glazes from the 1930's.  Just say'n.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

And that siggie is fired, but ya no amount of acetone is taking that off.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

strongly second that opinion.

@madamezulu wrote:

IMHO, might be worth looking at French / Belgian pottery with crystalline flambe glazes from the 1930's.  Just say'n.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply