cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello All, I need help with some hand painted old dishes that are embossed and hand numbered but...

Hello,

I have a bunch of these dishes, I believe they might be European, but they are not stamped with a makers mark.  I sent a picture to Replacements and they could not help.  They are hand painted  and marked with what I believe is a style number in blue ink under the glaze 1211 and a 2 underneath, then embossed with various different numbers according to the piece.  For instance below:

I appreciate your help!

Christy Hastings

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Hello All, I need help with some hand painted old dishes that are embossed and hand numbered but

Wow I NEVER would have guessed that!

Thank you so much! All those mean spirited snobs can kiss me on the backside, you have been most helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Christy

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Hello All, I need help with some hand painted old dishes that are embossed and hand numbered but

Ok,  I got a little beat up the last time a French porcelain item came up on this board, but I'll go back into the fire.

IMHO, these are French.  The impressed production numbers are from the manufacturer for the blank.  I suspect these date to the 1860 - 1900 time frame, perhaps earlier.  The blue numbers are from the decorating company / studio to identify the hand painted pattern (again, I suspect Parisian / don't quote me on that per last time). 

Most dealers would put these under the "Old Paris" category, although the decor is subdued, and quite attractive.  

You aren't going to find a pattern name or manufacturer or decorator name.  But, again, IMHO, 19th century French porcelain.  

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

that is not the way the french would write a "1"

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Wow I NEVER would have guessed that!

Thank you so much! All those mean spirited snobs can kiss me on the backside, you have been most helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Christy

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

so if that is not a one then what is it?

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

they are ones, just not the way they would be written in Europe.  Handwritten european ones look like sevens. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply