cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heavy 20 inch Porcelain Serving Platter--unknown mark - inscribed script fancy "C "

IMG_3146.JPGIMG_3148.JPGIMG_3152.JPG

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Heavy 20 inch Porcelain Serving Platter--unknown mark - inscribed script fancy "C "

I doubt if this is a makers mark.  more likely to be a workers mark.  Also, are you sure it is porcelain, most transferware of this type is pottery.  is it translucent?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Looks Hand-painted, don't think it's transferware...yes it's translucent...though very thick and very heavy

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Kinda bad photo, but propped it up with light source behind it...very thick, very heavy...defintely Porcelain ...

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

thanks for the additional photos.  it is handpainted over transfer.  the technique is called clobbering

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Doubt it-- not transferware..and it's not pottery--it's porcelain

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

md1919 is correct. It is definitely hand painted over a transfer print. Many people, including the manufacturers, call or called this "hand painted".
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Agreed, hand painted over a transfer outline. The transfer ensures uniformity and it makes it easier for the decorator to execute, requiring less skill of the decorator. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I totally disagree... it would be ridiculous to use a transfer on such a sparsely decorated piece ..what, are the starlings and butterflies all transfers, also ?

That's not my question anyway 

I am  interested in the mark of this hand painted porcelain piece,, not debating the characteristics of the piece, which are not in doubt.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

He is not correct...anyway my question is about the maker's mark...
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

You're obviously not interested in the experts knowledge and experience and I'm referring to md1919 and msgood2shoe, so why should they do your research for you.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply