cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

German pottery vase - Carl Gebauer?

I asked about this small vase over on another forum a while ago.  I was hoping to ask the opinion of some of the pottery gurus here as well.

It is 5-5/8" tall and marked with a tall poorly impressed "GERMANY", with several impressed numbers.  People were able to help me find links to similar pieces, a couple of which were attributed to Carl Gebauer (guesses, I suspect).  I found examples of his work, which appears to be a more simple and abstract style than this type of hand-painted decoration.

If anyone has any other ideas, I would appreciate it.  Thanks!

IMG_2938.JPGIMG_2945.JPG

IMG_2953.JPGIMG_2954.JPG

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: German pottery vase - Carl Gebauer?

Gebauer is highly unlikely.  I can think of a few german companies who made similar to this but they would have been marked.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I agree, doesn’t look like anything I’ve seen from Gebauer. 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Thank you both!  I appreciate your help.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@art.pottery wrote:

I agree, doesn’t look like anything I’ve seen from Gebauer. 

Do either of you have any references for Ernst Huber-Roethe?  I stumbled across pieces attributed to him, but with different bottom markings.  Someone on the Antiquers forum has a vase with identical bottom markings to mine, and very similar decoration to pieces said to be by Huber-Rothe.

Google images:  https://www.google.com/search?q=Ernst+Huber-Roethe&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwidi4OCvbzjAh...

His vase:

IMG_20190126_122209171.jpgIMG_20190126_122236328.jpg

Message 5 of 5
latest reply