cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Candlewick and Boopie?

Hi,

I have several pieces of beaded tableware to list.

How vital is it to pin down a maker ID?

In searching listings, I really just see Imperial and Boopie. I assume the latter is a style not a maker?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Difference between Candlewick and Boopie?

It is absolutely necessary you correctly ID your glass when selling. Do not use eBay listings as reference, there are many, many misidentified listings!

Imperial is a glass Manufacturer, they made Candlewick.

Boopie is a pattern made by Anchor Hocking. 

Look at replacements dot com under both to help you ID which is which. You can also look at this site:

https://chataboutdg.com/gallery/

Look under "Elegant & Depression Glass Companies" for companies by name.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

This site also has a good overview that can also help you narrow down what you have.  You'll still need to do further research to iron out the details:

https://www.candlewicklookalikes.com/

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Thank you both for the links!!!!

I’m trying to branch out my listings into other categories, so I have my work cut out for me. 

Again, thanks so much!

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Candlewick is considered Elegant glass, Boopie is not.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Anchor Hocking actually made 3 different patterns with balls.  Boopie is a collector name for the Berwick pattern.  Bubble is the collector name for Early American, and Burple is the collector name for Inspiration.  This link shows the 3 patterns 

https://www.chataboutdg.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=370&mode=search

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Thanks!

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

What makes one Elegant and not the other?

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

What makes one Elegant and not the other?

The quality of the glass is higher with elegant glass, and it has none of the minor variations found on standard pattern glass. Look for little wavy lines, and if found, that is not elegant glass.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Essentially an Gene Florence decided this was a good way to split up his books and has become accepted by collectors. The Elegant has more hand work and quality control. The decorating requires a skilled worker while the depression glass is machine made. With Candlewick and "Boopie" the rims are different. The boopie have a safe edge from the mold while the Candliwick has a smooth flat edge.
george
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I honestly wish I knew more, I've always loved old glass. I have some from my Grandmother (that would be EAPG?).

I followed all the links folks provided last night, and then followed their links, and...

My favorite Easter table, ever, was actually put together from newly purchased Depression Glass just a few years ago. I scoured all of my local antique malls and put together a complete table display of all different patterns and colors of glass - pink, blue, apple green, a bit of yellow. When your rather difficult 19 year old daughter takes a picture and sends it to all her friends and posts it on Facebook, you know you "done good."

Which actually begs a question for myself - no dinner plates? Are they rare? I ended up using plain white vaguely French Provincial plates from Target, almost as chargers, and put the Depression glass salad plates on top of those. It was the only modern thing on the table, aside from the silver ware.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Candlewick is also used to describe some pottery blanks, such as Blue Ridge with the candlewick rim.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

I honestly wish I knew more, I've always loved old glass. I have some from my Grandmother (that would be EAPG?).

I followed all the links folks provided last night, and then followed their links, and...

My favorite Easter table, ever, was actually put together from newly purchased Depression Glass just a few years ago. I scoured all of my local antique malls and put together a complete table display of all different patterns and colors of glass - pink, blue, apple green, a bit of yellow. When your rather difficult 19 year old daughter takes a picture and sends it to all her friends and posts it on Facebook, you know you "done good."

Which actually begs a question for myself - no dinner plates? Are they rare? I ended up using plain white vaguely French Provincial plates from Target, almost as chargers, and put the Depression glass salad plates on top of those. It was the only modern thing on the table, aside from the silver ware.

Can you post the photo, it should wonderful!!!

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I can see if she still has it on her phone or up on Facebook, but I didn’t think to take a pic myself.

It was gorgeous, no glory to me - the glass and spring colors were so pretty it all did itself.

I served a whole half salmon (enough leftovers to make salmon cakes!), wild rice, grilled veggies, grilled Parmesan tomatoes (okay, I overlapped a bit there), and sparkling juices.  Macaroons, lemon meringue pie and and rainbow sherbet for dessert.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Depression and earlier glass was not safe for hot foods so china was used. The formula has changed and improved so plates are more common. Also it was easier to make the china plates. We collected Iris and Herringbone. As new collectors my wife decided to set the table with I&H she then served the food on the plates and was mortified when 4 or the 6 broke. Hard lesson but we learned about heat safe glass plates.
george
Message 15 of 15
latest reply