cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curious about dogs......

I bought this piece from an local on-line auction. Curious as to what it is made of..... it does not have a smooth finish and there would seem to be a lot of "black spots" in the finish (see photos) and some areas seem discoloured (kind of yellowish) - is it some sort of plaster cast statue? It is a heavy piece  too. The auction listed it as signed "A. Belcari" BUT there are no markings on it at all and I think the "image" for the name they gave was from another piece in the auction (an eagle) - I think they looked at it and thought it is very similar, so they assumed it was another Belcari piece. It is approximately 11 1/2 inches long; 6 inches wide and stands about 8 inches tall.
Any information greatly appreciated. THANKS

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Curious about dogs......

A few more photos -

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

It's Pierre Jules Mene's Partridge Hunt.
Janet
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

WoW!!! That's incredible 🙂 THANKS The bronze was made about 1847ish or so.... So is this someone's modern copy of it???

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Just found this - interesting.... altho I doubt this is an original LOL 🙂

"

(1810-1879)

Aliases: Pierre Jules Mène, Pierre-Jules Mène

Animal sculptor, Sculptor

Biography

(born 25 March 1810 Paris, France; died 21 May 1879 Paris, France) French bronze sculptor. Pierre-Jules Mene was a member of the Animaliers, a 19th century French group of artists founded by Antoine-Louis Barye that used animals as the primary subject of their art. Born into a metal working family, Mene learned casting skills from his father and later studied with sculptor Rene Campaire. Early in his career he created porcelain models and started his own foundry in 1837. He became quite popular both in France and England for his naturalistic, small-scale portrayal of animals, most notably equine subjects and dogs (bronze sculptures of dogs were particularly popular in 19th century France) but his repertoire also included ducks, chickens, sheep, etc. He exhibited at the Paris Salon throughout his career where he won several medals, at the Great Exhibition in London in 1851 and 1862, and won the Legion d’Honneur in 1861. He went into business with his son-in-law Auguste-Nicolas Cain and they developed a catalogue of their work together. After Mene’s death in 1879, his models were acquired by the Susse Foundry.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

OK, now I am really curious..... Anyone have any idea who might be reproducing Mène's sculptures/bronzes in porcelain like the one I bought? When might they have been made - are they very modern? Why wouldn't they mark them - with their name OR Mène's?
Any information greatly appreciated. THANKS

Message 6 of 6
latest reply