cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another dog figure.....

This spaniel figure was part of the lot with the hunting dogs figure that I bought in a local on-line auction (see my previous post for hunting dogs). The listing for the auction was primarily focused on the larger figure with the hunting dogs and not this smaller spaniel figure. This figure is approximately 5 1/2 inches tall; 5 1/8 inches long and about 3 inches wide. It has red markings on the bottom - MADE IN USSR - and another mark which is hard to make out but may end in "03"?? There is also the number 6500 along the edge of the bottom that looks like it was written on?
I found 2 listings currently on ebay (searched Spaniel Made in Russia) and had 2 hits which look like the exact same figure altho "hand-painting" of the figures make them slightly different. The 2 on ebay are apparently figures from the Imperial (former "Lomonosov") Porcelain Manufactory, Saint-Petersburg, Russia. Neither of the listings actually show any of the markings on the bottom altho the one says it has "blue" markings and says it is a modern production. Would "red" markings make it an older production?? Both figures are selling for approximately $65.00CA - curious as to whether this spaniel figure may be worth that much!!! Maybe that written number on the bottom was the original price? I spent a lot less for the auction lot than that and I am surprised that this smaller spaniel figure may be worth more than the hunting dogs figure. 🙂
Any information greatly appreciated. THANKS

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Another dog figure.....

Just found this on Google which explains the markings.... think the mark on the figure I have is the early 1990's one as MADE IN USSR is all on one line and not stacked....
"Around 1991 the Lomonosov factory used a burgundy or red mark. This mark varied in color intensity from a dark mark to a light one. (See some examples below.) If the mark was in English, then the piece was intended for export sale. In the absence of an English mark, it could be determined that an item could either be an unmarked older piece or was strictly intended for sale in Russia (the domestic market). The first post-Soviet export backstamp was a red LFZ monogram, with "Made in Russia" stamped in red. More recent pieces have marks in blue stating "Hand Decorated", the LFZ monogram, the date 1744 and St. Petersburg together with an occasional holographic sticker with "export quality" and the factory monogram on them, probably added by importers."

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Another dog figure.....

Cute! Well, you found out a lot of good stuff. 

Don't know if you want to list it but check the sold listings too to see what they are actually selling for. I personally would not buy anything from someone who doesn't include a photo of the bottom, marked or not. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply