cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

making a large purchase

I have made a purchase to acquire a backhoe for approximately 35,000 dollars. I realize there are many scams out there and I am trying to protect funding while making the purchase. I have read the E Bay guarantees however I am not convinced they are complete. Ebay says they guarantee the amt if funds are wired to ebay acct. I also read where others have purchased their items, sent funds through ebay and have not received their items or refunded their monies. Does anyone know how I can pay a co or someone to verify the backhoe is at that location. They are located in Ocala Florida.  The seller shows they have been on ebay for several years however when I look at their sales it looks like misc dollar items.I saw on the forum where someone else had purchased from a like co. and not received their product and it might be the same co. It seems difficult to talk with someone in ebay to verify the co.is legit. Can anyone give me their advice as to how to confirm the co. is actually at the location they describe on address ? Thank You

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

making a large purchase

First, if you really want help or advice, you need to return here and show us the eBay item number.  

Wait -- you've already purchased it and now you are asking if it's legit? Why in the world would you make such a purchase without inspecting the item first? 

Now we really need to see the eBay item #! 

Also, eBay says they guarantee the amt if funds are wired to an eBay account? This also is suspicious.

Message 2 of 50
latest reply

making a large purchase

Can anyone give me their advice as to how to confirm the co. is actually at the location they describe on address ?

@5784ok 

You could go there and check the equipment out before dropping $35K on it. I know I would. Good luck and good golly...

Message 3 of 50
latest reply

making a large purchase

First off, your NOT protected.   Those types of sales are to be made in person.  You first inspect the item and then you pay.  Never wire money for merchandise you have not seen and looked over.  Those sales are non binding so you can walk away if it's not to your liking.

A hijacked account comes to mind.  Long dormant accounts or accounts with feedback for only penny items raise red flags when all of a sudden they list high value items.

DON'T  WIRE MONEY !       You also need to check title to see who really owns it.  They might not know it's for "sale".

Message 4 of 50
latest reply

making a large purchase

Hi @5784ok 

There appears to be something hinky going on regarding listings of excavators right now.  eBay has been informed about these apparent scams only recently.

Sending money by wire transfer is risky at this time … UNLESS you have seen and inspected the backhoe in person and KNOW that it is exactly as described.

Message 5 of 50
latest reply

making a large purchase

@5784ok 

Did you actually find the backhoe listed on ebay or was it listed on another site in a listing in which the seller claims ebay "handles the transaction?" 

Please clarify.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 50
latest reply

making a large purchase

I found the listing: 2012 Caterpillar 420F Backhoe

Phew! At least the listing is on ebay! 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 50
latest reply

making a large purchase

There are a number of heavy equipment scams going on here in Florida, several have ended up making the local news over the last 2 months or so.... I would proceed with EXTREME CAUTION, some of these entailed theft and title duplication in a different name than the actual owner, as simba6 alludes to.   

Message 8 of 50
latest reply

making a large purchase

Can't you just ask the seller their address? And then google the address.

Realistically, anyone can take photos of something like that and just post it for sale...not really owning it.

I did see a partial "rental" sign in the back ground of a photo. So it is a place that rents machinery.

The seller has not sold anything from their feedback.

Google Ocala, Florida and see who rents these in that area....Can't be that many places who rents them.

Message 9 of 50
latest reply

making a large purchase

In and around city limits, there's about 15 outlets that rent heavy equipment. 

Message 10 of 50
latest reply

making a large purchase

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@albertabrightalberta 

And am I correct that I see that the OP (well... some 635 FB buyer, anyway) purchased it two days ago? 😲

Message 11 of 50
latest reply

making a large purchase

For a $35,000.  purchase I would call them all to find where it is being sold.

Message 12 of 50
latest reply

making a large purchase

No argument.  Most down here aren't open Saturday past noon, if that.

Message 13 of 50
latest reply

making a large purchase

@5784ok 

Read everything in the listing and continue to be extremely cautious. The information below is located on the listing just below the credit card information...

Shop with confidence:

Business Equipment Purchase Protection
This item is eligible for up to $200,000 in Business Equipment Purchase Protection. Learn more

Pay with a wire transfer to eBay
Wire transfer is available for select eBay orders. Learn more
jtzvwbug
Volunteer Responder | USA Community

Message 14 of 50
latest reply

making a large purchase

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

@albertabrightalberta wrote:

@albertabrightalberta 

And am I correct that I see that the OP (well... some 635 FB buyer, anyway) purchased it two days ago? 😲

@albertabrightalberta 

Sorry... I'm an idiot. The OP's first line says, "I have made a purchase..."   🙄

Message 15 of 50
latest reply