cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay's New Payment System is TERRIBLE for sellers and buyers alike.

sonisrising
Thrill-Seeker

I'm a very small seller. That said I have been both a buyer and seller on the site for over 20 years. ebay's new payment notification is essentially a message that says "Trust us...you got paid...you'll see the money in a few days...hopefully." 

With PayPal we knew the money was in our accounts. Period. It was there. It may take a few days to get to your bank if you didn't use the instant payment option...but you KNEW the money was in your account. Now we just get a message that says the buyer paid. But we have to wait 3 business days to see it in our bank account. I'm sorry but that's not true verification of payment. Money in your account is verification of payment. This whole "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday" business model didn't work for Popeye...and it shouldn't work for you. 

To best serve our (and ebay's) customers, sellers either take a gamble...and send the item (buying postage from ebay of course) and hope the payment settles into our accounts...or you make the customer wait until the payment clears. So let's say you sell something on a Friday night, and the buyer pays immediately. It's still a minimum 2-3 business days before the money clears.  So let's say the money doesn't clear until Wed. Maybe I checked my bank account at 7AM before going to work and didn't see any money, so I left the item home. So now I'm not shipping until Thursday at earliest. If I'm shipping first class to the West Coast, the customer isn't getting their item until maybe Monday/Tuesday the following week at best. But with mail slowdowns...it's a toss up.  So now the customer has waited the 7 days of the auction and a week and a half to receive the item. That's a possible total wait of 2 1/2 weeks between the time a customer first sees an item they want and receiving it. Unless the seller just sends the item on good faith. 

I literally sent out over $300 worth of items today and have NOTHING to prove I was paid but an ebay notification. If you want to ruin faith and good will between buyers and sellers alike...ebay's perfected that. 

This is a very bad experience for buyers too. If I pay you on a Friday night...that payment may not clear for a seller until Wed. So now when does that seller ship? A week after I paid for the item? What if I decide to simply buy it from an online retailer who ships upon payment instead of waiting a week for some average Joe who doesn't even have a business license to ship me goods I paid for? Rant over...time to explore selling on social media. 

Message 1 of 328
latest reply
327 REPLIES 327

Re: ebay's New Payment System is TERRIBLE for sellers and buyers alike.

Ever notice changes are always for the worse ?

Message 61 of 328
latest reply

@csnyder1220 wrote:

Once that deposit clears, I will delete my bank information from my eBay account.

They won't let you remove it without replacing it with another account.

The only way to remove it is to close your account.

Have a great day
Message 62 of 328
latest reply

I totally agree.  It even sucks for those who do not have a checking account.  At least with PayPal you had some sort of access to your funds.  Whether it is to purchase something else from any website that accepts PayPal or if you had the PayPal Debit Master Card and you could withdraw the funds from an ATM or something of the like.  From what I have read PayPal and eBay have severed ties and they have gone with a company called Adyen.  They handle payments worldwide and for other multi-billion dollar companies such as Uber and Facebook.  Now eBay states that it is going to be better for everyone overall, but I disagree.  All someone has to do is dispute the charge and as a seller you're screwed.  At least with PayPal you had a fighting chance.  As for the time being, if you want to sell you are stuck with their offerings.  For me, even though I do not have a checking account, I am able to sell and receive my funds.  I am sure you are wondering how is that possible.  It's easy.  I have a prepaid debit card that is set up to accept my direct deposits.  Direct deposit requires a routing and account number.  So does eBay's new managed payment system.  Therefore, linking my debit card's routing and account number to my eBay account was not only easy, but it has worked flawlessly.  The best part is that only funds can go in the account.  Funds cannot be withdrawn.

Message 63 of 328
latest reply

@dippy-dawg wrote:

I totally agree.  It even sucks for those who do not have a checking account.  At least with PayPal you had some sort of access to your funds.  Whether it is to purchase something else from any website that accepts PayPal or if you had the PayPal Debit Master Card and you could withdraw the funds from an ATM or something of the like.  From what I have read PayPal and eBay have severed ties and they have gone with a company called Adyen.  They handle payments worldwide and for other multi-billion dollar companies such as Uber and Facebook.  Now eBay states that it is going to be better for everyone overall, but I disagree.  All someone has to do is dispute the charge and as a seller you're screwed.  At least with PayPal you had a fighting chance.  As for the time being, if you want to sell you are stuck with their offerings.  For me, even though I do not have a checking account, I am able to sell and receive my funds.  I am sure you are wondering how is that possible.  It's easy.  I have a prepaid debit card that is set up to accept my direct deposits.  Direct deposit requires a routing and account number.  So does eBay's new managed payment system.  Therefore, linking my debit card's routing and account number to my eBay account was not only easy, but it has worked flawlessly.  The best part is that only funds can go in the account.  Funds cannot be withdrawn.

This is a very difficult change for those that have never used any other payment processor program other than PayPal.  

It can be very hard to understand that it is PP that is the unicorn here not MP.

If you do a little research of the larger sites out there similar to Ebay, they all have had their own money processing programs for years, Ebay is the last of the big site to bring theirs onboard.

NONE of those sites have a money processing program anywhere near as flexible as PP is.  They are ALL much closer be being like MP functions with some exceptions.  Some sites have stricter rules on when a seller can have access to their literal cash money.

As to your ability to attach your debit card to MP.  I recently heard about this possibility and I'm trying to do some research on that for more information.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 64 of 328
latest reply

Like you I am a small seller since 17 years ago and now I am completely disappointed with this new 'fishy' Ebay payment method.   

To me this is nothing more then GREED.  Now the relationship buyer/seller is in jeopardy due to this annoying issue.

On top of that they get immediately 'almost' 20% of the payment ... why? And hold our money for 2 or 3 business days ... Yes, to play with it and make more money for them.  Not fair.  I am wondering...what is next? 

Anymore surprises fees at the end of each month?   

Do they have any regard for sellers?  Absolutely NOT.  ZERO

Instead of helping the sellers especially during this difficult times ~ they are doing the opposite.

VERY SAD BUT TRUE.

I am seriously considering to get my own website and say GOODBYE to this company FOR GOOD.

Message 65 of 328
latest reply

Yes... I am with you. This is HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE especially in such difficult times.

Thanks Ebay = for nothing or I'd say: for destroying us small sellers and jeopardizing buyer/seller relationship. 😞

I am ready to say goodbye to this greedy company after so many efforts for 17 years.

Shame on them !

Message 66 of 328
latest reply

@dippy-dawg wrote:

The best part is that only funds can go in the account.  Funds cannot be withdrawn.

That account won't last long.

Have a great day
Message 67 of 328
latest reply

@petitpariscouture wrote:

Like you I am a small seller since 17 years ago and now I am completely disappointed with this new 'fishy' Ebay payment method.   

To me this is nothing more then GREED.  Now the relationship buyer/seller is in jeopardy due to this annoying issue.

On top of that they get immediately 'almost' 20% of the payment ... why? And hold our money for 2 or 3 business days ... Yes, to play with it and make more money for them.  Not fair.  I am wondering...what is next? 

Anymore surprises fees at the end of each month?   

Do they have any regard for sellers?  Absolutely NOT.  ZERO

Instead of helping the sellers especially during this difficult times ~ they are doing the opposite.

VERY SAD BUT TRUE.

I am seriously considering to get my own website and say GOODBYE to this company FOR GOOD.

The fees in MP have NOT increased your overall fees.  The following numbers represent those that do not have a store and the fee rate for most common categories [not all].

Fees BEFORE going into MP

10.20% FVF + 2.9% PP fees = 13.10% plus 30 cent per transaction fee.

In MP the fees are:

10.20% FVF + 2.35% money processing fee paid to MP = 12.55% plus a 30 cent per transaction fee.

Message 68 of 328
latest reply

I think this may be an attempt to hinder drop shippers. I'm not waiting days for payment. I just canceled all of my listings and won't be doing business with ebay anymore. Sad to see. I think ebay is on the way out. It's a dinosaur at this point.

Message 69 of 328
latest reply

@summit_diversified wrote:

I think this may be an attempt to hinder drop shippers. I'm not waiting days for payment. I just canceled all of my listings and won't be doing business with ebay anymore. Sad to see. I think ebay is on the way out. It's a dinosaur at this point.

That is doubtful.  Those that drop ship responsibly will be able to deal with MP easily.  I dropshipped for years and MP would not have been anymore than a new process I needed to get use to.

If you have time, go out and do some research.  Look at the payment programs on the other big sites similar to Ebay.  You will find that all of them have their own money processing programs and some of them have rules that you would like even less than the ones on Ebay.  Ebay is the LAST of the bigger sites to bring a money processing program to the site.  But go look at the seller payment terms on Amazon, Etsy, Mercari, Poshmark, Offerup and more.  It is likely going to be an eyeopener for you.

Message 70 of 328
latest reply

I am now moving to ebid and hope ebay crashes and burns

Message 71 of 328
latest reply

except with paypal the money wa sstraight in to the account and postage could be paid directly from paypal, now this isn't an issue if you have good cash flow, but not everyone has, so now the seller has to wait till the money clears and gets a "late" mark for delivery or has to extend the shipping time thus losing sales due to being a "late" shipper !  Whichever way you look at it, this new system is total w*nk, created by idiots in suits that have no real grasp on a) logic, b) common sense, c) intelligence

Message 72 of 328
latest reply

@26sam9168 wrote:

I am now moving to ebid and hope ebay crashes and burns

@26sam9168 

I get it and I respect that you are angry with Ebay.  But why would you wish harm to the millions of other sellers on this site if it were to cease to exist????

Message 73 of 328
latest reply

@26sam9168 wrote:

except with paypal the money wa sstraight in to the account and postage could be paid directly from paypal, now this isn't an issue if you have good cash flow, but not everyone has, so now the seller has to wait till the money clears and gets a "late" mark for delivery or has to extend the shipping time thus losing sales due to being a "late" shipper !  Whichever way you look at it, this new system is total w*nk, created by idiots in suits that have no real grasp on a) logic, b) common sense, c) intelligence

@26sam9168 

No not really.  In MP sellers have a choice if they want their shipping costs deducted from their MP account or their PP account.  You've made an assumption that is not accurate.

MP Funding a Label.JPG

If sellers are getting a defect for shipping late, then the seller is NOT shipping within their stated handling time on the listing the buyer purchased from.  If a seller needs more time to ship, no matter what their reasoning is, they need to adjust their handling time accordingly BEFORE someone purchases.  This has ALWAYS been a responsibility of the seller and does NOT change with the entry into MP.

Knowing the rules is actually important to the successful use of Ebay and of MP.  

Do you have any other concerns?  Best to ask so you can at least know what the actual rule is for MP.

Message 74 of 328
latest reply

Yeah it was like that for me too until a couple of days ago when they said they decided that my account now needs to have managed payments which means giving them all of my bank information instead of the money going into my PayPal! then they decided they don't like the bank I have and insisted I'd open a new bank account with a different bank! When I refused to do so they told me the only way I'm going to get the money that I'm owed from my last two sales is to close my account! After I close my account I have to wait another 60 days before they will give me my money! So believe me, your turn is coming too, because people warned me that they were going to do it to me eventually and I didn't believe them.

Message 75 of 328
latest reply