cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The TRUTH behind Managed payments PLEASE READ, NOT click bait, emotional Wait till the end!

To continue the flaming brown bag of the year 2020 eBay has decided to launch “Managed payments”. This was outlined in the official company statement “improve the customer experience” by intermediating payments on its marketplace. “In doing so, eBay will manage the payments flow, simplifying the end-to-end experience for buyers and sellers,” the company said in a statement. Unfortunately, like most business that are worth 40+ Billion dollars and are one of the only options in a market, eBay demonstrates the thought process of “How could we make more money and invest as little money as possible, to maximize profits?”

I have been on eBay on and off for 22+ years. I also have done a considerable amount of sales in the last year. So, it has been 10+ days and I have not received a payout under the new system. Does eBay care? The short answer is “No”. The long answer is “It’s complicated”. I genuinely believe the employees do care; I have dealt with 2 exceptional people in the last few days. So, for my 8 phone calls in the last week, 2 were AMAZING, and the rest were “okay”. So, let us get to what is going on.

1. Two years in the making. Several employees have been telling me that this has been in progress for 2 years. Think about that 2 YEARS! I am floored that 2 years were spent to make a poorly designed, clunky, not intuitive dashboard that has serious limitations. Please keep reading.
  2. Traditional banks vs. Credit Unions. eBay does not support some credit unions. Yes! The outsourced company eBay uses “PAYwithBank” does not play well with Credit Unions, some might work and some might not. Try to use a traditional “Bank” much less problems.
  3. Dates are a moving target. I have documentation that says my payout was made on 11/24. I have an e-mail that says my payout was made on 11/25. In my payout history it shows 11/28. (All failed). Dates are more of a suggestion then what happened.
  4. Validating Bank information. If you have a bank and account, you have received a payment through. And change your bank, then eventually go back to your originally bank. (I.e. changing to a credit union and is not accepted see example # 1. above) eBay DOES NOT KEEP that information, you have to “re-validate” EVERY time. This is idiotic. If the customer has done the work and you have paid them before, if nothing has changed you should be able to use past accounts eBay could easily keep this information stored but choose to do what is “Easiest for them, not their customers”
  5. Instant Payouts. This is probably my biggest issue. eBay could EASILY utilize instant payments but has chose not to. Do not let them tell you anything different. Venmo, PayPal, TheRealReal, you are being paid for work with direct deposit (right?). All have found a way to pay instantly or instantly on a specific date per month. This is the largest miss in my opinion, is it cost effective? probably not. Is their risk? probably…Is it the right thing to do, YES! If you force your customers to make a change you should make the new product as close to the old as possible.

The short of it is, last night I was told "There is nothing you can do and that you are at the mercy of “Managed Payments”"..... we all are. You will not get paid unless it works, sorry, eBay is not taking ownership or responsibility for there misses, mistakes, or failures of the system they are forcing us to use.

What do we do now?..... Nothing the answer is, nothing, be happy someday you will get paid. Or at least be okay with it, the exit is a click away. I have heard some rumblings of, let us make a YouTube Channel, let's revolt, let’s leave! Well, raging against the machine will do you nothing except get you off of eBay.

I have decided I am going stay and be a lemming. I will be at the mercy of the machine; it will decide when I get paid. All I can do is hope, hope is why I will continue to be a “Power Seller” and beyond. Hope they will fix the bevy of problems they have including NOT paying me for items I have sold. Like Stephen King wrote in Shawshank Redemption:

“Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.”

-Red

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: The TRUTH behind Managed payments PLEASE READ, NOT click bait, emotional Wait till the end!

Very well stated, Lemming #2

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Re: The TRUTH behind Managed payments PLEASE READ, NOT click bait, emotional Wait till the end!

I would give you a "Helpful" thumbs up but for some reason the button will not allow it. 

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Lemmings don't hope - they go down with the ship.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope is not a strategy.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I have some empathy for your payout delay situation.

eBay thought, “How could we make more money and invest as little money as possible, to maximize profits?”
Did you invest as little as possible by attempting to use a credit union?

Depression era thinking has had a debilitating effect on our population for generations. The flaw in my late father's thinking was, "Somehow we have to get through this situation by spending no money or the least amount of money." The trade off of a Credit Union is lower fees in exchange for limited capability. You are not using the correct tool for the job in order to save some trivial amount of fees.

Everything you sell on eBay is a business transaction, even if you are not registered as a business. Behave like a successful business. You should have made the upgrade to a bank at the beginning. Good luck on fixing it now.

The best investment is in the tools of one's own trade.
Benjamin Franklin

You cannot mandate productivity, you must provide the tools to let people become their best.
Steve Jobs

Don‘t go to another monastery with your own rules.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

A penny saved is a penny earned.
Benjamin Franklin

Unfortunately, people are not rebelling against Microsoft. They don’t know any better.
Steve Jobs

So, eBay saw which way the money was flowing and parked themselves midstream. If you don't like it, tough **bleep**?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the souls of the people the grapes of wrath are filling and growing heavy, growing heavy for the vintage.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I'm sorry, what?    Like it or leave it.  There is no third option.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

This is what I did. I am a small seller (had about 204 items for sale listed). Sold an item on Friday , came here and saw the mesage from ebay : Your payout is on hold until you update your account details. I clicked on the link and it says they ned from me 1) to update my identity (by giving them my day of birth and social security numnber) and 2) to add bank account, which says it requires my checking(!) account number and routing number id i want to see the money.

I said no to all of that. Absolutely not to ebay having my very personal info.

Called customer service they told me nothing you can do to opt out. You can still BUY with PayPal they said, but you cannot sell using PayPal.

I turned around and took down all my 204 auctions. Will have to go and check out for myself etsy,amazon,poshmark to see how they do the payouts to sellers over there.

I love PayPal. Never had problems with them for almost 16 years that I am on eBay.

For me personally - it is time to say good-bye to selling on ebay.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

I would notify the buyer of the change and try to refund their money.

Tell eBay:  I don't have the money and you don't have the item.

Do you accept only Paypal as payment?

Google: "Paypal Bonanza"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And now a word from eBay orbiting MP apologists.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Same boat... been here 20+ years. Just a private seller, not a business. Going to look elsewhere. I sold an item 10 days ago and still no payout. eBay won’t help, they say seller paid but no money is showing up. Bank says nothing pending from eBay.  Sigh, it was great while it lasted... bub bye eBay!

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

if I am in the managed payment program, why am I paying PayPal?

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

going to have to take my vintage items elsewhere or keep them for myself . 

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Welcome to the machine my friends

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I just sold my sewing machine & now I can't get ebay to pay me. They keep saying they need me to verify my business. I keep sending them my EIN letter & my business license & nothing. I can't use the call me as it says it's not available. I tried the chat & they keep saying they can't help as managed payments is another dept. I asked if they could have them call me & they said no. So I sold my machine because I need the money (as a lot of us do in this covid situation) & now I am not getting paid.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

if I am in the managed payment program, why am I paying PayPal?

When you print your labels, the cost for them can be taken from your Paypal account or from your pending payouts.

Select how to pay for shipping labels Payout.PNG

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 15 of 18
latest reply