cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refunded a buyer for a missing item but the item arrived after I refunded them

I refunded a buyer because their item looked to be missing since it had been a month since I had sent it out and it still hadn’t arrived. I just got an email from USPS that the item finally arrived. Since I already refunded them I’m just wondering how I get my money back for the item. I can’t find anything on the help page that relates to my problem.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

If your buyer is willing to pay you back, you won't get your money back. You did a refund, the case is closed.

Like many others, I got several INRs this season. IN every case, I am trying to talk the buyer into  waiting a little bit longer and ask them not to escalate the case. I assure them that I will refund them their purchase. SO far I have been lucky, my 'prologation' tactic worked. They got the parcel, ebay sent me an automated message that the item was received and that the case would be closed.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

This is happening to lots of us these days.

First.  Contact your buyer.  Let them know you were delighted to see that per USPS the item finally arrived.  Then let them know that they have two options.  To return the item or keep the item.  If they want to return the item, they can simply put Return to Sender on the package and stick it back in the mail.  If they want to keep the item, then let them know to provide you with their email address and you will send them an invoice through PayPal for the payment since they have been refunded.

You may need to give them a little time to respond as buyers aren't always on the internet as often as we are as sellers.

If that doesn't work out for you, then file an appeal on the case with Ebay and REPORT the buyer to Ebay.  

In my experience, most buyers respond and either pay or return.  Let us know how it turns out for you.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I've had the same issue happen to me twice this year. In the first case, I was able to find the buyer's email address (have no idea how) and send them an invoice through PayPal. Their email address is only available for 14 days after purchase, which doesn't help when it takes a month for the item to finally reach them. It spent 14 days in Memphis!!

The thing is, if you use the Ebay messaging system and include an email address, will it be flagged because it includes personal information?

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@mkmcvey wrote:

I've had the same issue happen to me twice this year. In the first case, I was able to find the buyer's email address (have no idea how) and send them an invoice through PayPal. Their email address is only available for 14 days after purchase, which doesn't help when it takes a month for the item to finally reach them. It spent 14 days in Memphis!!

The thing is, if you use the Ebay messaging system and include an email address, will it be flagged because it includes personal information?

@mkmcvey 

This is a problem.  One I too have had to deal with too many times over the last 15 months or so.

I do like you.  I first reach out to my buyer and let them know I'm aware that the item has arrived.  I ask them if they want to pay for the item or return it.  All except for one responded that they would pay.  I then ask them for their email address so I can invoice them through PP.

If you have a current transaction with a buyer you can share information.  I've done it many times.  I then go to PP and invoice them as that is our only option to re-invoice at this time and Ebay knows that.

Now on the one I had that would not respond, I appealed the INR to Ebay.  Ebay refunded me my money on the claim as they could see from the online tracking that it was delivered and they could see my attempts to contact the buyer in my messages.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Share a screenshot of the sale for which you want to get the refund while including your Paypal info in there. This way eBay won't flag it.

Happened to me many times but this specific case buyer got refunded and we both thought that item got lost. 3 or 4 months later it gets delivered, buyer contacts me using different listing because he could not locate me in any other way and asks where to send the money. I tried sending paypal info but got denied by eBay so i just took a screenshot and sent it that way. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@dariudaudery_0 wrote:

Share a screenshot of the sale for which you want to get the refund while including your Paypal info in there. This way eBay won't flag it.

Happened to me many times but this specific case buyer got refunded and we both thought that item got lost. 3 or 4 months later it gets delivered, buyer contacts me using different listing because he could not locate me in any other way and asks where to send the money. I tried sending paypal info but got denied by eBay so i just took a screenshot and sent it that way. 

What you ask for in your opening paragraph would be unhelpful because the poster would need to redact quite a bit of information.  And if they didn't think it through and did post what you asked without redacting stuff it would be a violation of the forum rules.

Well that is an unusual amount of time even with todays issues with USPS.  And yes, most sellers on Ebay are aware there is a 60 to 90 day cycle for this info to be readily available on Ebay.  For your issue, you would need to contact Ebay for a resolution and/or help in the matter.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Or in my case you get people who are happy to get something for nothing and don’t bother to reply! 
I am not a huge company that can afford to lose a few things here and there, some people are so selfish 

ebay should sort this out as not fair on sellers

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply