cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payments on long hold

cmcdonald35
Adventurer

I don't understand why my payment for a sold item is on hold for 30 days. Sold on September 13th funds hwld until October 13th 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Payments on long hold

@cmcdonald35 wrote:

I don't understand why my payment for a sold item is on hold for 30 days. Sold on September 13th funds hwld until October 13th 

its all about risk management for new or returning sellers or sales that are over a certain dollar value. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

EBay maintains a secure marketplace for buyers and sellers, and retains your funds to resolve any dispute as soon as it arises.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@cmcdonald35 

The payment-hold policy is a little more complex than other posts would lead one to believe.

From this eBay help page (which I strongly encourage you to read and bookmark for yourself): 

Payments on hold 

hold 1.PNG

hold 2.PNG

hold 3.PNG

hold 4.PNG

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@cmcdonald35 wrote:

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/funds-availability.html

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/pending-payments?id=415...

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Not your traditional answer,  but the truth is self evident.

These are our observations, please verify them yourself and make your own decisions as to the truth of these statements. 

This is happening to a lot of people,  check the forums. 

Contrary to what most people realize, the holds are limited to a certain amount of days by law. 

These holds are most likely not being placed on so many sales due to reasons which involve the listed reasons ebay says they place holds.

Check ebay finances, and check the finances of the huge companies which own ebay. Blackrock especially has made a lot of headlines recently as of 9-24-21, including international interests. 

Essentially ebay is floating a loan to itself, and this 21 day hold and the interest on billions of dollars has been a major factor in holding this money. 

Previously ebay would sometimes questionably put a hold on paypal transactions,  but it also once fully controlled paypal so monopolistically that they were split. 

"Ebay managed payments" is being forced on sellers with "encouragement" being restrictions on sales, shadowbans, and even expulsion from the system for "opting out" from their "invitation."

The elimination of person to person financial transactions is their goal, and they will begin to try holding everyones money they can as long as possible as their goal is to middle man money versus just making fees. 

Yes, there can be legitimate reasons for holds, but not for established buyers and sellers, especially sellers who have been selling with store accounts for years.

We have extended our handling to 20 business days to deal with the random ebay holds since january of this year. Neither the buyers nor sellers can control this and buyers cannot seem to be able to force ebay to release the hold early. 

The more you look in these forums, the more you will find out about the way this is all being run. Business wise it makes sense, but its also a sign of overextension so we will have to watch the news and see where the money goes.

The epic games rulings may change marketplace forced payment legalities so we will see if marketplaces will be forced to move away from this model in the future. This also could affect sales tax with the marketplace facilitator laws so there is currently a lot of cloudiness to be navigated legally and economically. 

Yes, amazingly these billion dollar companies need the money of the little guys...just imagine if you could only have a running weeks long loan on the pocket change of hundreds of millions of people.  Selectively and randomly, they hold everyones money to some degree right now for some length of time and they profit on the interest.

Again, this is just what we believe based upon the things we see, so please do your own research to check the validity of these possibilities.  

Call them and ask them to release it a few times, who knows. Goodluck. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@originalapplecountry 

You are overthinking it.  Ebay has had a rule on holding funds on new sellers for many years.  Long before MP.  It is just that simple.

And yes we have seen a lot of postings like this because new sellers are learning the rules that they have to adhere to until after they start selling.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/funds-availability.html

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/pending-payments?id=415...

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

e-cart_4398
Adventurer

I had the same problem. I updated the tracking number again. 

so, finally in the eBay  tracking system it also updated. I received the money which was on hold.😊  

Message 8 of 8
latest reply