cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not a business should not have to do managed payments

I am not a business I am an individual who is just selling some old family stuff to make a little extra money and should not have to deal with this new managed payment system. from what I have read about it there is no benefit to me if anything it is going to be a hassle. I do not have a personal bank account I share mine with my husband and need to keep the money separate due to the risk it being used by accident to pay bills especially since I do not touch the money until I receive positive feedback or a month has passed so I can refund if needed. if I am going to be forced into this then it looks like I will be taking my business to Etsy or some other known selling site that is not going to take away my right to choose.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Not a business should not have to do managed payments

@lady_lilith_la_magra wrote:

if I am going to be forced into this then it looks like I will be taking my business to Etsy

They use the same program.

Have a great day.
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Never had an issue with them before all my payments go into my PayPal on Etsy unless they have also changed in the last year.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Yes the do, but Etsy does not require you to input your social security number. That is the Number ONE reason I will not sign up for managed payments.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

If you used PayPal in the past, then you were content to give THEM your SS#. 

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Yes Etsy and eBay both use Aiden and managed payments, but Etsy only requires the last 4 digits of your social security for verification, eBay requires you to enter entire social security number. That's why I recently opened an Etsy shop and have NOT signed up for eBay's managed payments.  It it TOO big of a risk for me, have had my Identity stolen in past when someone stole my name and social security number. Maybe eBay needs to talk to Esty to see how it is done! I'll never give them my social security number.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

You apparently had no problem giving PayPal your entire social security number, as we all had to do.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

There is no forcing. You either use the platform or you choose not to.  Good Luck to you whatever you choose.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I too am an individual trying to make ends meet via the Ebay platform.  Yes, the Ebay platform not the 1grandmashope_1 platform or the lady_lilith_la_magra platform.  Their business their rules and conditions.  I understand your concerns, but it does not change the fact that you either choose to somehow work it out with your concerns or choose another way to make that extra money.  My hope is that you find a constructive way to make things work for your needs that you don't get stuck in being full of angst over their changes.

The very very best to you and your success in whatever you choose.

Grandma

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Well said, Grandma. It's very simple for me. I either make MP work for me and make good money, or I quit because of MP and make no money. There is really no choice for me. I can't make the kind of profit I do on any other platform. I owe it to myself to try and make MP work. Moaning about it gets me nowhere.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

That was prior to my identity being stolen and 5 real estate loans started in my name. Paypal has been a proven secure site in my many years in using their service. Since I got burnt BAD, I do NOT Give My Social Security number to ANYONE!

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@sebil wrote:

Yes the do, but Etsy does not require you to input your social security number. That is the Number ONE reason I will not sign up for managed payments.

I had to when they switched me over to Adyen.

Have a great day.
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Never had an issue with them before all my payments go into my PayPal on Etsy unless they have also changed in the last year.

They switched over to Adyen a few years ago.

Have a great day.
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I just opened a new shop last week and only had to enter last 4 digits of SS#.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

auctionpet
Guide

I am not a business I am an individual who is just selling some old family stuff to make a little extra money and should not have to deal with this new managed payment system. from what I have read about it there is no benefit to me if anything it is going to be a hassle. I do not have a personal bank account I share mine with my husband and need to keep the money separate due to the risk it being used by accident to pay bills especially since I do not touch the money until I receive positive feedback or a month has passed so I can refund if needed. if I am going to be forced into this then it looks like I will be taking my business to Etsy or some other known selling site that is not going to take away my right to choose.

But you just said your NOT a business!!

Considering you've been here since 2002 and have 198 feedback as a seller with 121 items presently listed, that's not just selling a few things. Your items are priced from $25 to $4000!  That's clearly a business, especially in the eyes of the IRS.  

Those who are just getting rid of a few family items usually have a garage sale. They don't seek out sites to sell on a long term basis. Good Luck.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply