cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-paying toy buyer

They bid on items, outbid others, then never pay. The feedback score is positive, but it is full of comments on how they never pay for anything bid on. Don't know how they are still allowed to keep bidding without paying. I tried adding them to the blocked buyer list, but when they figured it out, they use a slightly different ID. They do not even have a shipping address when I tried to print a packing slip ??  Reported to E-bay, as it has been done many times before.  No response yet.

Don't really see the point - why bother bidding and not pay -over and over again.

So far, they have bid on 2 groups of my Transformer action figures and never paid.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Non-paying toy buyer

This accomplishes two several things:  Gives buyer a strike, gets your fees back and enables you to relist.

And now about those sellers who are leaving negative comments in positive FB.

They are not only flying against the rules, but are enabling the buyer to continue doing this by not opening cases.  Opening then escalating an unpaid item case gets the buyer a strike.  Sellers can set their requirements so that they do not have to deal with buyers who have two strikes in twelve months.

All eBay sellers need to quit flaunting the rules and start using the tools eBay gives them to use with UPI cases.

Doesn't E-Bay automatically open a case after 4 days of non-payment??  Or don't those count as strikes if E-Bay opens and closes the case ?  So you think the sellers just sit back and put feedback in, without filing a case and getting their  fees refunded ?  This buyer found a way around the 6 month 2-strike rule - using more than one ID. So now they will have to create more IDs and get around the 12 month cycle too. Seems like the buyer is the one flaunting the rules here.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

You don't mention in your post whether or not you are cancelling every time this happens, citing as reason: Buyer did not pay. This accomplishes two several things:  Gives buyer a strike, gets your fees back and enables you to relist.

They are not only flying against the rules, but are enabling the buyer to continue doing this by not opening cases.  Opening then escalating an unpaid item case gets the buyer a strike.  Sellers can set their requirements so that they do not have to deal with buyers who have two strikes in twelve months.

All eBay sellers need to quit flaunting the rules and start using the tools eBay gives them to use with UPI cases.

Not sure how a buyer cannot have a shipping address, but, good news, if they did not pay, you won't be shipping anyway right? 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Every time they don't pay, open a non payment case when allowed and add to your block list. Don't invoice them or contact them. Ya it stinks, but follow eBay protocol, it helps everyone in the end.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

You can also set up your profile to not accept bids/offers from buyers that have had a non payment strike within the last 12 months. 

Another thing is placing their id in your BBL, Block Buyer/Bidder List.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Another way to avoid non-paying bidders is to consider fixed price with immediate payment required. You'll probably get a lot more views than with auctions unless the bid price is pretty low. Most of your items should have fairly established market value so quick research and setting a price should not be too hard. Good luck~

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Both times E-Bay cancelled the transaction after they did not pay. So if E-bay cancels the transaction for non-payment, this does not count ?  I did add them to the blocked buyers list, but they change the ID and start again.  As I said, I did report this to E-bay. Would have thought it was a violation to change your ID to get around E-Bay's restrictions. Guess not. After 6 months, they go back to the old ID and can bid again.

I do not know if other cases were filed from the other sellers, since I can not see this. I had my setting to  block buyers with 2 unpaids in 6 months already, so I changed it to 12 months. Of course, I also can not see the bidders who this setting blocked, only that unknown bidders got blocked. Too bad, E-bay won't do anything about this and lets it continue.

It is not fair to the other legitimate bidders when they get deliberately outbid by someone who has a history of non-payment. Others sometimes will not bid if it gets relisted, thinking something must be wrong with the item because the high bidder backed out.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

This accomplishes two several things:  Gives buyer a strike, gets your fees back and enables you to relist.

Doesn't E-Bay automatically open a case after 4 days of non-payment??  Or don't those count as strikes if E-Bay opens and closes the case ?  So you think the sellers just sit back and put feedback in, without filing a case and getting their  fees refunded ?  This buyer found a way around the 6 month 2-strike rule - using more than one ID. So now they will have to create more IDs and get around the 12 month cycle too. Seems like the buyer is the one flaunting the rules here.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Not sure how a buyer cannot have a shipping address, but, good news, if they did not pay, you won't be shipping anyway right? 

It's very easy. You do not have to put in a shipping address unless you pay.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

You don't mention in your post whether or not you are cancelling every time this happens, citing as reason: Buyer did not pay. This accomplishes two several things:  Gives buyer a strike, gets your fees back and enables you to relist.  -Everyone is assuming the transactions are not cancelled. Both times, E-Bay cancelled my selling transactions after 4 days for non-payment by the buyer. Would all the other sellers not cancel and give up a refund of their fees? Of course, there is no way to tell.

if they did not pay, you won't be shipping anyway right?  Yes, that's true, but now the other bidders will think there was something wrong with the item and not bid again or they move on.  2nd chance offers seldom work.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply