cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to the bank account payments. Confused and need some advice...

i_luv_kittycats
Trailblazer

I'm an old time ebay seller and have in excess of 500fb. However, I have just started to sell a few things again and as of today, have setup and confirmed the micro deposits in my bank account. Also today, I sold an item. I haven't yet seen cleared payment for the item in my account, and I assume it may take a day or two.

My question is do I need to ship the item BEFORE receiving entirely cleared payment? I really do not want to do that, and with the old paypal system I never did that.

Another question I have is how do the holds/refunds and so on work? With the old system, if something happened after sale, ebay/paypa would put holds or chargeback. I've heard the new system puts some sort of long term holds on payments until well after the buyer receives the item. Is this true? 

Thanks for any help!

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: New to the bank account payments. Confused and need some advice...

You need to ship within your stated Handling Time. Look to your Seller Hub/Orders/Awaiting shipment... if there's anything there, you've been paid. Yes, ship it.

With many of us who have been selling in Managed Payments, payouts come in a few days. If you're a returning seller, you may be subject to a new seller hold, which could be a few weeks. (I hope that addresses the 'long term holds' you're speaking of.) I know that my buyer's payment is my bank deposit in 3 business days, for example.

For what it's worth, I've never experienced a payout not  being completed once it begins processing. Good luck.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Thanks. It sounds like we are indeed expected to ship before receiving payment. If not long before receiving payment. The items I'm selling at this time are at a higher risk for scam. Stressed here because while I want to ship right away to the buyer, I also don't want to send off my item to a scammer before I even see payment in my account.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

i_luv_kittycats
Trailblazer

As a followup, I found the payment status in the hub. Says waiting on delivery. So, Ebay is going to hold my payment until I ship free at my expense to the seller for no particular reason? Worse yet, since I'm a returning seller and/or selling a higher priced item, I may not get the money for 30 days or longer. Perhaps never. This must be the worst ebay experience ever, and I've been on the site since 1999. Wish I had known! Would have never, ever sold on here, and now I've already sold two items for which I haven't been paid, and evidently won't be paid on for some time. There should be more news out about this horrible new system. Most people simply would not list if they would likely not be paid, or not be paid for 30 days or longer. 😞 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Wish I had known!

@i_luv_kittycats 

^^^ Man... how many times I've read that. ^^^

You may want to read the TOS again, and read through some Managed Payments threads here.

I'll tag a poster that has loads of links to share with you. Could I ask you, @mam98031, to help this returning seller?

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@i_luv_kittycats wrote:

There should be more news out about this horrible new system.

The information is here, you just have to find it.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

If it is on the awaiting shipment page it means buyers payment if confirmed which means eBay has it, buyer can not stop it(you have been paid but processing from ebay to your bank has not completed which will  take a few days to a month depending on your payout schedule, banks processing time and any Holds you may have)and you need to ship.

If you use eBay labels to ship you can have the cost taken from the buyers payment before it transfers to you account.You will find that option at the bottom of the create label page

The process takes longer because it is going to your bank account,w pp it did not unless you manually transferred it

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

"The items I'm selling at this time are at a higher risk for scam. Stressed here because while I want to ship right away to the buyer, I also don't want to send off my item to a scammer before I even see payment in my account."

@i_luv_kittycats 

More than the new seller hold, this gives me extra pause. You've referred to your items as 'high scam items'... that would scare me to death on eBay. I also don't know if you'll especially  fall prey to scammers as a returning seller... like new sellers seem to. (That may be a non-issue for you with current feedback numbers.)

But know that seeing the payment in your account doesn't mean that the money is really  yours, considering eBay's 30-Day Money Back Guarantee and the protection (180 days) that PayPal offers... plus credit card companies offer their customers a 'chargeback' period, up to some months after delivery. We all hope for good buyers, but we all prepare for the worst.

I wish you well, and will you the ability to weather the storm... but don't blame you if you decide not to brave it.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

Wish I had known!

@i_luv_kittycats 

^^^ Man... how many times I've read that. ^^^

You may want to read the TOS again, and read through some Managed Payments threads here.

I'll tag a poster that has loads of links to share with you. Could I ask you, @mam98031, to help this returning seller?

@mtgraves7984  

The likely problem is the fact that @i_luv_kittycats , by their own admission is a returning seller after some time away from selling.  That may make them qualify to the policy for New Sellers and sellers returning to selling after 90+ days away, in regards to holding funds.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/funds-availability.html

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/pending-payments?id=415...

As to the OP's concern that the holds in MP are longer than what was normally experienced when we used PayPal as our money processor.  That isn't true, it is just some angry sellers that don't like their money being held for any reason.  However there were some sellers that were in Funds Now program on PP.  This program no longer exists, but when it did, one of the perks was that money was not held when a claim was filed.  But this was for long time experienced sellers, not Casual Sellers.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

i_luv_kittycats
Trailblazer

As another update, I resorting to wasting more valuable time, and called Ebay. That was also much more difficult than usual. Surprisingly, I was told by the rep, that my payment would not only be on hold, but would be on hold for at least 14 days AFTER the buyer received the item. Ironically, she "thanked" me for being a seller since 1999, but in the same breath said I'm considered a "new seller" per "new rules" because I haven't sold recently on Ebay.

Very upsetting, and for the record the absolute worst ebay seller experience. The big problem here is it's not about scammers or dealing with returns, which is still part of Ebay. Now, it's ebay themselves that will literally take or hold your money, and for no apparent reason. I could have sold these items locally for cash, and would have already had my money by now. This is beyond the pale. Ridiculous even by ebay standards. I don't know how it can get much worse, and don't understand why anyone would want to sell here anymore.

Supposedly a manager will call me tomorrow, but I have no confidence in this anymore. I'm only happy that I haven't yet shipped the item. So, my plan is to simply not send these items and try to cancel the transaction. I realize this may jeopardize my old ebay account. However, it's just not worth it anymore to me. I'm beyond upset and really appalled that even Ebay has the absolute nerve to tell a seller to send their valuable items to a buyer , while they hold the funds for no particular reason! It's my item. I'm here to sell it . Not give it away. Not rent it. Not give buyer a free trial use of my item. Give me my money , or I'm keeping the item to sell elsewhere. That's what I say. I hope we can all agree on that!

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

So, my plan is to simply not send these items and try to cancel the transaction. I realize this may jeopardize my old ebay account.

@i_luv_kittycats 

At least you are aware of this... some sellers aren't. But if you're truly done with the platform, not shipping your orders is a viable option. Good luck, however you choose to proceed.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@i_luv_kittycats 

While the rule may be new to you, it is NOT a new rule and has been around for YEARS,

It isn't for no apparent reason and this rule help Ebay filter out scam sellers.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 12 of 12
latest reply