cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More and more buyers are NOT paying for items. Bring back NEGATIVE FEEDBACK.

There is no consequence for buyers if I cannot leave negative feedback for non-paying bidders.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

How does negative feedback stop unpaid items?

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

There are consequences for buyers, when sellers cancel unpaid items citing buyer didn't pay, the buyer gets an unpaid item strike. Having just 2 unpaid item strikes in 12 months blocks that buyer from buying and bidding on countless items on eBay. 
I have my buyer preferences set to block those.
Leaving negative feedback how would that be a consequence?
eBay will never bring that back anyway.  

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

The problem seems more prevalent among sellers who are listing as auctions, and sell their item on one bid or on sellers who solicit offers for their items when selling Buy It Now.

Since the process for both of these situations creates a delay between intention to buy and actually buying and paying, the possibility of early buyer's remorse is greater than BIN.

Consider listing items you know what the likely price is going to be as BIN.

If you are afraid you are going to miss out on a gusher of interest in your items and lots of bids, check the box in your seller policies to require a payment method to bid in your auctions or make an offer.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I would block them from futures buying. 

And after 4 days I would cancel the sale as buyer didn't pay and the buyer gets a "ding".

At some point the buyer will lose the ability to bid on auctions.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

What good would negative feedback do?

Why not cancel the order on day 5 for nonpayment and give the buyer a nonpaid item strike, now that would do some good, if the sellers have their account set up right.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@tlitlbit wrote:

There is no consequence for buyers if I cannot leave negative feedback for non-paying bidders.

So what you really want is Angry Retaliation. Got it. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@tlitlbit wrote:

@tlitlbit 

Your negative feedback would be less consequential than eBay's Unpaid Item cancellation is. Hang in there...

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

That has been a problem since eBay started.  Some people can't resist the bid button.  List as fixed price / buy it now set to require payment right away. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

There IS a consequence, but you, and all other sellers need to play your parts in bringing it about.

When your buyer hasn't paid in 96 hours, you cancel, citing "buyer did not pay" as your reason.

That buyer now has one "strike".  

Most smart sellers have their buyer requirements set so that they do not have to deal with any buyer who has two strikes in a rolling 12 month period.

One of the problems on eBay it seems, is that, when a buyer doesn't pay, the seller does nothing.  Don't know if it's because they don't know what to do or if they feel it's too much trouble or what.  

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I have a buyer who sent me an offer and I accepted on Tuesday.  Come Thursday no payment, so I sent an invoice as suggested in options and included a friendly reminder that we can't ship till payment is received. 

A few hours later after sending the invoice, the buyer sent a message back "I'll get this paid".

It's now Sunday evening and still nothing. I know I can cancel the sale and the buyer gets a negative mark, but this is where EbaY should be stepping in and placing pressure on the buyer. 

Will they?   😞

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@geordithibodea-0 wrote:

I have a buyer who sent me an offer and I accepted on Tuesday.  Come Thursday no payment, so I sent an invoice as suggested in options and included a friendly reminder that we can't ship till payment is received. 

A few hours later after sending the invoice, the buyer sent a message back "I'll get this paid".

It's now Sunday evening and still nothing. I know I can cancel the sale and the buyer gets a negative mark, but this is where EbaY should be stepping in and placing pressure on the buyer. 

Will they?   😞

Quit sending an invoice, Ebay already does that.

Each time you send one, the clock starts over and they have longer to pay.

Have a great day
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

If you are not using the tools that eBay gives you as a seller, you are contributing to the issue.

If a buyer has not paid in 96 hours, you know that you can cancel, citing "buyer did not pay".

You can even set your buyer requirements to do this automatically.

You know that this action gives the buyer a "strike".  Sellers can set their buyer requirements so that they do not have to deal with a buyer with two strikes in twelve months.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to eBay!

Message 14 of 14
latest reply